My daughter the dog whisperer

Old January 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default My daughter the dog whisperer

My daughter is trying very hard to talk me into getting a puppy. Little
does she know that decision is completely independent of her desires or
actions. I keep telling her that I hate puppies (a huge lie, and she knows
this) and there is absolutely no way we're getting one (another lie? I'll
never tell).

She wants to prove to me that she can help out with the training, even
though for some reason she refuses to go to obedience classes with Roxy and
me. Last night she revealed to me the fruits of her labor. She taught
Roxy to roll over. This is HUGE. Roxy hates to roll over. I gave up on
trying that particular trick, but not only is she doing it, she's doing it
reliably and with enthusiasm. Both girls are very proud of themselves.

Cool, huh?

--
Lynne
Old January 28th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread m: Lynne
whittled the following words:

She wants to prove to me that she can help out with the training, even
though for some reason she refuses to go to obedience classes with
Roxy and me.

No new dog until she takes the dog to obedience school. If she does.. then
you may have to rethink the puppy thing. If she refuses, you can hold the
line. You are safe.
Send your daughter to me. I'll teach her puppy training for fun..
Old January 28th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:18:48 GMT, diddy wrote:

No new dog until she takes the dog to obedience school. If she does..
then you may have to rethink the puppy thing. If she refuses, you can
hold the line. You are safe.

I told her today that she had to come to all of Roxy's training classes if
she wanted me to even consider getting a puppy. She asked me, "if I do,
will you get a puppy?" Being the big meanie-pants that I am, I said, "I'm
not promising to get a puppy, but I guarantee you that we will NOT get a
puppy if you don't come." So that was that. She's coming, of course! We
start in a few weeks.

I wonder how long I can milk this angle?

--
Lynne
Old January 28th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

My daughter is trying very hard to talk me into getting a puppy. Little
does she know that decision is completely independent of her desires or
actions. I keep telling her that I hate puppies (a huge lie, and she
knows
this) and there is absolutely no way we're getting one (another lie? I'll
never tell).

She wants to prove to me that she can help out with the training, even
though for some reason she refuses to go to obedience classes with Roxy
and
me. Last night she revealed to me the fruits of her labor. She taught
Roxy to roll over. This is HUGE. Roxy hates to roll over. I gave up on
trying that particular trick, but not only is she doing it, she's doing it
reliably and with enthusiasm. Both girls are very proud of themselves.

Cool, huh?

very cool, wonder if this will change her mind about obedience class?

Old January 28th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:24:11 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

Have you found out why she doesn't want to watch your class?

She doesn't like to be told how to do things once she thinks she already
knows, and she thinks she already knows how to train dogs. I tried to
explain that this class was going to teach in a way that is different than
what I have taught her in the past, and that I wanted her to learn with me.
All that explaining didn't help. Telling her I will absolutely not
consider a puppy if she doesn't come did the trick.

She's been difficult since she was in the womb. She's just like me,
though, so I'm not complaining. ;-)

--
Lynne
Old January 28th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:13:44 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.

snicker

--
Lynne
Old January 28th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Yeah, well, we're all dog, spouse and child abusers and mental cases
according to a child molester, you. Therefore, your "diagnosis" is
invalid since it's untrue.

Old January 28th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:58:37 GMT, "MauiJNP" wrote:

very cool, wonder if this will change her mind about obedience class?

I hope attending will change her mind. She's great with animals, but not
as patient as I would like her to be. Yesterday, my son's friend left the
door unlatched and Roxy got out. I ran out and found my daughter yelling
at her in a mean voice. Roxy wasn't having any of that. So I told her
that she needed to call her in a happy voice, not in a "you're in trouble"
voice. I called to Roxy brightly and she immediately came to me. My
daughter hates it when I'm right, so I'm hoping that she will get a lot
from the classes. I know she wouldn't listen to me after the fact. She's
part mule.

--
Lynne
Old January 29th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Lynne wrote in
m:

My daughter is trying very hard to talk me into getting a puppy.
Little does she know that decision is completely independent of her
desires or actions. I keep telling her that I hate puppies (a huge
lie, and she knows this) and there is absolutely no way we're getting
one (another lie? I'll never tell).

She wants to prove to me that she can help out with the training, even
though for some reason she refuses to go to obedience classes with
Roxy and me. Last night she revealed to me the fruits of her labor.
She taught Roxy to roll over. This is HUGE. Roxy hates to roll over.
I gave up on trying that particular trick, but not only is she doing
it, she's doing it reliably and with enthusiasm. Both girls are very
proud of themselves.

Cool, huh?

You can have the dogs and kids I am offering to a good home. One of the
dogs decided to come into the small enclosed office where I have all the
stuff I need to get my classwork done and was frantically trying to
finish a paper and farted it all up so badly that I not only could not
work on my paper, I was waiting for HazMat to come out and declare the
whole place a Superfund site. And when I told the wretched kids why I
was not pleased with the wretched dogs, they just laughed at me. Forget
that first sentence. It doesn't even have to be a particularly good
home.

Anna reports that she has her stepmom's sheltie trained to sit, down,
loose leash walk, come and stay. Her stepmom says that she won't do any
of the above for anyone else in the family and does not respond to her
training attempts. She thinks it is the training treats, but Anna was
just using pieces of kibble. I think it's the ability of girls that age
who love dogs to make the dogs think they will be able to train the girl
into believing that the sun rises and sets in the dog if they handle the
training of the girl right.

Paula
Old January 29th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:32:35 GMT, Paula wrote:

I think it's the ability of girls that age
who love dogs to make the dogs think they will be able to train the girl
into believing that the sun rises and sets in the dog if they handle the
training of the girl right.

I think they are in on this puppy thing together!

--
Lynne