Housetraining a French Bulldog that is not a puppy any longer

Old January 30th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Joe Seattle

Default Housetraining a French Bulldog that is not a puppy any longer

I am the "dog walker" for two animals one a 3+ year old English
Bulldog and a 1+ year old French Bulldog. The English one is fully
house trained and never has any accidents. The French Bulldog on the
other hand has had many accidents inside. Also when it's outside to
do its business it doesn't seem very eager to "get the deed done" and
in fact when it does do its business it's sort of a "wandering poop"
in that it will start and then sort of wander all over the place. It
seems like it hasn't gotten it's evacuation concepts down. Also
notice that compared to its older English Bulldog sibling that it
doesn't do the "scratching of the ground" thing when it's through
doing its business if that makes any difference.

I guess my main question is at over a year old is it too late to teach
this French Bulldog to be housetrained? Part of the problem as I see
it is that the owner has not been able to spend as much time with the
dog as might be required to actually train the dog to do his business
the right way and he's let the dog have the whole house where
accidents have occurred where he more than likely should have kept the
dog on leash and not let him off to any place where he could not see
the dog and prevent it from doing its business in inappropriate
places.

Any help or suggestion will be very much appreciated.

TIA

Joseph

Old January 30th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

It's never too late to housetrain a dog. You're right not spending enough
time with the dog and not restricting where it is allowed access to are part
of the problem. It's going to be hard to get the dog trained properly if
the owner doesn't step up to the plate and take responsibility.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old January 30th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 30 Jan 2007 05:25:25 -0800, "Joe Seattle"
wrote:

[...]
I guess my main question is at over a year old is it too late to teach
this French Bulldog to be housetrained?

Of course! But not without the cooperation and/or assistance of the
dog's owner(s). Without it, anything you do will be for naught.

Part of the problem as I see
it is that the owner has not been able to spend as much time with the
dog as might be required to actually train the dog to do his business
the right way and he's let the dog have the whole house where
accidents have occurred where he more than likely should have kept the
dog on leash and not let him off to any place where he could not see
the dog and prevent it from doing its business in inappropriate
places.

Phew, that's a long sentence. But right on the mark.

Any help or suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Maybe have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the owner?

Start off by reading that long sentence to the owner, not to us.

And good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Whatever Hits the Fan is Never Evenly Distributed:
http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/004686.html

Myths of the Iraq War:
http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/topt.../20070128.aspx
Old January 30th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:06:37 -0500, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

On 30 Jan 2007 05:25:25 -0800, "Joe Seattle"
wrote:

[...]
I guess my main question is at over a year old is it too late to teach
this French Bulldog to be housetrained?

Of course!

Make that of course NOT.

Sorry!

Old February 1st 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

It's never too late to housetrain a dog. Remember, the important
principle about dog training is reward the correct behavior and avoid
the incorrect behavior. The dog should be crated when the owner is
not home and taken out at controlled intervals to keep track of his
bathroom schedule. Treat him when he goes outside and if he doesn't
go during his scheduled time, he should go back into the crate for 15
more minutes until he can try again. He shouldn't be allowed into the
house until he has gone both pee and poop.

You can read about this in Dr. Ian Dunbar's book Before And After
Getting Your Puppy. The principle is the same for training adult
dogs.

Let me know if you have any questions or want a more detailed
explaination.

Sincerely,

Sterling Peake

Owner/Head Trainer
www.greenpawstudios.com

Old February 1st 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread news:2007020108460175249-montana@wildhackcominvalid: montana
wildhack whittled the following words:

On 2007-02-01 02:04:23 -0500, said:

Let me know if you have any questions or want a more detailed
explaination.

Perhaps you missed the part where the dog walker who wrote the post
mentioned that the owner had been given all relevant information and
yet was still not actually training the dog?

Yup, little a dog walker can do, when the people in charge refuse to
cooperate.