asthma/lung disease????

Old January 31st 07, 04:25 PM
cammyuk cammyuk is offline
Junior Member

Default asthma/lung disease????

HI Ihave a 4 year old spaniel that was diagnosed with lung disease??? nearly 2 years ago , he was on steroids for 8 months with no break,but was taken off because of side effects,
He was given bronichail wash and had a 50% infected result. my other dog{his sister} also has it .but not as bad,but it has caused her heart to enlarge .
I changed vets and now they done an xray and has found that he has s everal spots of thickening on his lungs, does anyone know what causes this? she tells me it is asthma ,
I really think the vet now wants to put him back on steroids, as he is on inhalers ,but she said it is,nt reaching the depths of his lungs , I really dont know what to do.i wonder is it worth the side effects = 10-15 mins of coughing and wheezing 4 out of 5 days , does anyone else have a dog with this problem, i would be most grateful for any advice?? thanks
Old February 2nd 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:25:07 GMT, cammyuk
wrote:

I really think the vet now wants to put him back on steroids, as he is
on inhalers ,but she said it is,nt reaching the depths of his lungs

What is he taking, a bronchodilator? Ask your vet about using a nebulizer
for this, instead of an inhaler. This will deliver the medication deeper
into his lungs. Nebulizers are pricey, though, and must be kept very
clean. Also ask about adding inhaled cromolyn to your dog's treatment if
he's not already getting it since he doesn't tolerate corticosteroids very
well.

--
Lynne
Old February 3rd 07, 08:59 PM
cammyuk cammyuk is offline
Junior Member

HI lYNNE , Thanks for your reply,yes they are on a bronchodilator, i did ask the vet about a nebulizer{ i have got one of these which was my mums,as she had emphesema} but the vet said they probably would,nt tolerate it , any way i have another appointment on monday ,so we will see what happens then.
It seems as though she really wants him to have the steriods, but i would rather leave them until the last course if at all possible, and i will ask about the cromolyn{ what exactly is it} so i know what i,m asking her for?
thanks for your advise, carol
Old February 9th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:59:08 GMT, cammyuk
wrote:

HI lYNNE , Thanks for your reply,yes they are on a
bronchodilator, i did ask the vet about a nebulizer{ i have got
one of these which was my mums,as she had emphesema} but the
vet said they probably would,nt tolerate it , any way i have
another appointment on monday ,so we will see what happens then.
It seems as though she really wants him to have the steriods, but
i would rather leave them until the last course if at all
possible, and i will ask about the cromolyn{ what exactly is it}
so i know what i,m asking her for?
thanks for your advise,

Hi Carol,

Your vet will know what cromolyn is. You may have already seen the vet, I
haven't checked this group in a while. At any rate, cromolyn helps reduce
inflammation with regular use. Steroids are generally recommended over
cromolyn, but if your dog isn't going to tolerate them well, cromolyn might
be worth the try. Good luck!!

--
Lynne
Old February 9th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:33:48 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

Your vet will know what cromolyn is. You may have already seen the
vet, I haven't checked this group in a while. At any rate, cromolyn
helps reduce inflammation with regular use. Steroids are generally
recommended over cromolyn, but if your dog isn't going to tolerate
them well, cromolyn might be worth the try. Good luck!!

By the way, cromolyn would be in addition to the bronchodilators, not in
lieu of.

--
Lynne
Old February 12th 07, 09:46 AM
cammyuk cammyuk is offline
Junior Member

Hi, Thanks for that , the vet has now put him on 100mg millophylline {3 A DAY} but he can only be on them for a month ,then has to come off for a while??? but he has another appointment when the tablets are finished , so i will ask about these.
The strange thing is { and also what the vet does,nt understand}is that he does,nt cough when he excercises ,it is only at evening, night or early hours,it never seems to be when he is under any stress,he has had an x ray which shows thickening of the lung tissue ,but no enlargement of the heart
My other dog who has the same thing does have an enlarged heart because of it,and yet she was,nt diagnosed as being as bad as him,if anyone has a dog with any of these problems . it would be helpful to know. thanks
Old February 12th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"cammyuk" wrote in message
he does,nt cough when he excercises ,it is only at evening,
night or early hours,it never seems to be when he is under any
stress,he has had an x ray which shows thickening of the lung tissue
,but no enlargement of the heart
My other dog who has the same thing does have an enlarged heart
because of it,and yet she was,nt diagnosed as being as bad as
him,

If the dogs are unrelated I can only think the cause is environmental. I'm
assuming they don't have heartworm and have been confirmed negative by
testing. I'm wondering about fungal diseases:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=341945
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Edison/index.php
http://www.mold-survivor.com/canines.html

If you're in the UK, I don't know what kind of fungal diseases may be
around, but your vet should.