Is egg yolk OK for dogs

Old January 31st 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Is egg yolk OK for dogs

I throw away 8 egg yolks everyday, since I use the white, but not the
yolk. I wonder if it would be OK to add a yolk or two to my puppy's (9
week old border collie) Purina Puppy Chow, or should I wait until I
introduce the lower fat and lower protein food in a few months, or
should I just forget egg yolks and throw them away like I have been.
Gee, I hate to throw away the yolk, but I don't want to give my puppy
high cholesterol and heart problems, or upset her stomach. Thanks, dkw

Old January 31st 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Jan 31, 12:26 pm, diddy wrote:
in glegroups.com:
" whittled the following words:

I throw away 8 egg yolks everyday, since I use the white, but not the
yolk. I wonder if it would be OK to add a yolk or two to my puppy's (9
week old border collie) Purina Puppy Chow, or should I wait until I
introduce the lower fat and lower protein food in a few months, or
should I just forget egg yolks and throw them away like I have been.
Gee, I hate to throw away the yolk, but I don't want to give my puppy
high cholesterol and heart problems, or upset her stomach. Thanks, dkw

I use the yolks and make creme brulee!!

Well, I guess if dogs can eat creme brulee, I can feed them an egg
yolk. Thanks, dkw

Old February 1st 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 31 Jan 2007 11:52:49 -0800, "
wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:26 pm, diddy wrote:

I use the yolks and make creme brulee!!

Well, I guess if dogs can eat creme brulee, I can feed them an egg
yolk. Thanks, dkw

Caution: Diddy did not say she gives creme brulee to her dogs.

________________________________
"If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise." - Unknown
Old February 1st 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Jan 31, 8:02 pm, Michael A. Ball wrote:
On 31 Jan 2007 11:52:49 -0800, "
wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:26 pm, diddy wrote:

I use the yolks and make creme brulee!!

Well, I guess if dogs can eat creme brulee, I can feed them an egg
yolk. Thanks, dkw

Caution: Diddy did not say she gives creme brulee to her dogs.

________________________________
"If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise." - Unknown

Thanks, I knew that. If I throw away the egg yolks it is because I do
not want the fat, so I wouldn't dream of adding more fat with cream.
The reply belongs in the food group, not dog questions. Actually, I
already know the answer. Many dog foods already have egg in them.
Thanks. dkw

Old February 1st 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 31 Jan 2007 19:25:45 -0800, "

Thanks, I knew that...

What about using the yolks for French toast, or gourmet egg salad;
better still, seek suggestions from rec.food.cooking! They will have
plenty of ideas! Maybe you could freeze them, and use them for egg nog
next December.

A lot of under nourished dogs end up at your local shelter. Maybe some
of them would benefit from a few eggs. As you noted some dog foods do
contain eggs. I wonder if eggs are considered "chicken by products"? :-)

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old February 1st 07, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread oups.com:

On Jan 31, 12:26 pm, diddy wrote:
in glegroups.com:
" whittled the following words:

I throw away 8 egg yolks everyday, since I use the white, but not the
yolk. I wonder if it would be OK to add a yolk or two to my puppy's (9
week old border collie) Purina Puppy Chow, or should I wait until I
introduce the lower fat and lower protein food in a few months, or
should I just forget egg yolks and throw them away like I have been.
Gee, I hate to throw away the yolk, but I don't want to give my puppy
high cholesterol and heart problems, or upset her stomach. Thanks, dkw

I use the yolks and make creme brulee!!

Well, I guess if dogs can eat creme brulee, I can feed them an egg
yolk. Thanks, dkw

There is no reason why you can't offer your puppy the occassional
egg yolk 2-3 times a week as a puppy, or even a yolk daily as an adult.

Egg yolks are high in phosphorous so use them with caution,
overfeeding them can lead to calcium/phosphorus imbalances in the
developing puppy. In 2-6 years animals fed diets high in egg yolks can
develop multiple gall stones, and produce abnormal bile secretions.
Egg Yolks are also high in iron, and if fed high concentrations of egg
yolk,an excessive iron accumulation can occur which in turn causes
inflammation of various body organs.. Don't do things in excess, moderation
is your key. *8* yolks a day is excess.
Old February 1st 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Jan 31, 10:06 pm, Michael A. Ball wrote:
On 31 Jan 2007 19:25:45 -0800, "

Thanks, I knew that...

What about using the yolks for French toast, or gourmet egg salad;
better still, seek suggestions from rec.food.cooking! They will have
plenty of ideas! Maybe you could freeze them, and use them for egg nog
next December.

A lot of under nourished dogs end up at your local shelter. Maybe some
of them would benefit from a few eggs. As you noted some dog foods do
contain eggs. I wonder if eggs are considered "chicken by products"? :-)

________________________
Whatever it takes.

I don't eat egg yolks....ever, but thanks, and neither does anyone
else in my family...just the fat-free whites. dkw

Old February 1st 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

in oglegroups.com:

On Jan 31, 12:26 pm, diddy wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I think I'll try one yolk per day and cut back very slightly
on the puppy chow. dkw

Old February 2nd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Michael A. Ball wrote in
:

On 31 Jan 2007 19:25:45 -0800, "

Thanks, I knew that...

What about using the yolks for French toast, or gourmet egg salad;
better still, seek suggestions from rec.food.cooking! They will have
plenty of ideas! Maybe you could freeze them, and use them for egg nog
next December.

A lot of under nourished dogs end up at your local shelter. Maybe some
of them would benefit from a few eggs. As you noted some dog foods do
contain eggs. I wonder if eggs are considered "chicken by products"? :-)

FYI, the yolk of an egg is a really great moisturizing face mask.

So all the benefits of the fat, with none of the calories or cholesterol
problems.

Tara
Old February 3rd 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
ups.com...
I throw away 8 egg yolks everyday, since I use the white, but not the
yolk. I wonder if it would be OK to add a yolk or two to my puppy's (9
week old border collie) Purina Puppy Chow,

........eggs are a great source of B vitamins and the most biologically
available foods there is. Unless you're giving all 8 yolks a day, it's good
food.