Will Drool for Oatmeal

Old January 31st 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Default Will Drool for Oatmeal

No, really. Big slingers of it, too.

Also, will shove paws down the back of your jeans when trying to
make a nest behind you while you are sitting forward on the couch.
Scratchy paw pads on bare skin = Not So Fun.

Alsotoo, napping is Very Important:
http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1519

--
Shelly

You can't be at the pole and the equator at the same time.
-- Vincent van Gogh
Old January 31st 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Shelly wrote in
. 4:

No, really. Big slingers of it, too.

Also, will shove paws down the back of your jeans when trying to
make a nest behind you while you are sitting forward on the couch.
Scratchy paw pads on bare skin = Not So Fun.

Alsotoo, napping is Very Important:
http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1519

She's a good napper! A veritable pro!

Building a nest behind you and attempting to incorporate the jeans you
are wearing is hilarious.

Warning: today seems to be "National Do Everything Wrong Day" except for
those dogs who have attained the age of perfection (which equals 1 out of
3 in my household -- it was a rough morning).

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old January 31st 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

ceb wrote in
:

She's a good napper! A veritable pro!

Oh yes. She understands the importance of sleep.

Building a nest behind you and attempting to incorporate the
jeans you are wearing is hilarious.

Only after the shock wears off, though. Rough paw pads on tender
skin is a little startling.

Warning: today seems to be "National Do Everything Wrong Day"
except for those dogs who have attained the age of perfection
(which equals 1 out of 3 in my household -- it was a rough
morning).

Uh-oh. I hope it's not contagious! It's been too cold here for
Harriet to want to spend much time outdoors, and I've been sick, so
I haven't exactly encouraged her. Boredom is a bad, bad thing for
eeevil dogs.

--
Shelly

I shut my eyes in order to see.
-- Paul Gauguin
Old February 1st 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:08:46 GMT, ceb wrote:

Warning: today seems to be "National Do Everything Wrong Day" except
for those dogs who have attained the age of perfection (which equals 1
out of 3 in my household -- it was a rough morning).

Okay, so what exactly is the age of perfection? Roxy appears to have
reached the age of extreme brattiness (18 months). Some days lately she
has me questioning the sanity of keeping dogs as pets.

2nd dog?? Um, sure.

Hopefully our upcoming obedience classes will restore my faith.

--
Lynne
Old February 1st 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Lynne wrote:

Okay, so what exactly is the age of perfection?

Four years old.

Roxy appears to have reached the age of extreme brattiness (18
months). Some days lately she has me questioning the sanity of
keeping dogs as pets.

This too shall pass.

2nd dog?? Um, sure.

Hopefully our upcoming obedience classes will restore my faith.

It can't hurt!

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old February 1st 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread m: Lynne
whittled the following words:

Okay, so what exactly is the age of perfection? Roxy appears to have
reached the age of extreme brattiness (18 months). Some days lately she
has me questioning the sanity of keeping dogs as pets.

Roxy was a rescue right? She probably never had the training and
socialization that a dog should have had much younger. This is probably
what resulted in her ending up in the reject pile.
Thankfully you rescued her, and are now taking her to doggy school,
salvaging the injustices of her previous life. Her development is later.
But I'm sure you are fixing it.
Old February 1st 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:56:19 GMT, diddy wrote:

Roxy was a rescue right? She probably never had the training and
socialization that a dog should have had much younger. This is
probably what resulted in her ending up in the reject pile.
Thankfully you rescued her, and are now taking her to doggy school,
salvaging the injustices of her previous life. Her development is
later. But I'm sure you are fixing it.

I got Roxy from the shelter at the age of ~4 months. She was a stray,
but didn't come to me with any problems other than every parasite
possible, and kennel cough. She is incredibly well socialized and
usually very well behaved, with a few exceptions (counter surfing...).
I've worked with her a lot, but never in formal classes. I am taking
her with the goal of getting her CGC, and also because I want to learn a
new way of training.

I think she has just hit adolescence and is testing her limits, though I
also wonder if the Proin she takes for incontinence makes her irritable.
I've cut her back to every 3 days and her bad behavior seems to
correlate.

Even though I sometimes joke that she would make a wonderful fur
clothing accessory, she's still a great dog by many measures. I adore
the little ****.

--
Lynne
Old February 1st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Lynne wrote in
m:

wrote:

Warning: today seems to be "National Do Everything Wrong Day" except
for those dogs who have attained the age of perfection (which equals
1 out of 3 in my household -- it was a rough morning).

Okay, so what exactly is the age of perfection?

Matt asserted, and many of us were forced to agree, that it's 4 years
old. It was certainly true of Zoe. No one knows how old Max is, and he
is pretty perfect most of the time, but he sure wasn't listening
yesterday. Queenie's going to be the true test though! She will be 4
either in the summer or fall (depending on which of her former owners
one asks). She shows no signs of attaining perfection -- just kidding!
She has made great strides in the 2 years I've had her although people
who meet her for the first time find that hard to believe. But under all
her zaniness is a very stable temperament -- nothing ruffles her -- and
I think she will be one of those great dogs that everyone loves once she
settles down a bit.

It's funny, in many ways I don't think it's something I should be
wishing for. I love her rambunctiousness most of the time, and they get
older so quickly, it seems.

Roxy appears to have
reached the age of extreme brattiness (18 months). Some days lately
she has me questioning the sanity of keeping dogs as pets.

2nd dog?? Um, sure.

As Bill Cosby said of children, if you have more than one they will
bother each other instead of you (at least some of the time).

Hopefully our upcoming obedience classes will restore my faith.

It really will, I bet. Zoe attempted a coup when she hit adolescence,
obedience classes and advice from this newsgroup got us on the right
track. I was having leadership issues, partially as a result of not
understanding how much leadership dogs need, partially as a result of
having cats for the previous 18 years. As I like to say, I let the cats
be the boss of me and no harm ever came of it. But dogs! They are little
power mongers.

Old February 1st 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:04:43 GMT, ceb wrote:

It's funny, in many ways I don't think it's something I should be
wishing for. I love her rambunctiousness most of the time, and they get
older so quickly, it seems.

I feel the same way. I don't want Roxy to lose her puppy ways, but some of
her behaviors lately are quite puzzling--things she hasn't done since in
over a year. AND she seems to be intentionally trying to **** me off. I'm
sure it's my fault somehow, I just haven't figured out how yet.

As Bill Cosby said of children, if you have more than one they will
bother each other instead of you (at least some of the time).

Now you sound like you are in cahoots with my daughter!!

--
Lynne