Moist Ear Problem: What to Use?

Old February 1st 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Moist Ear Problem: What to Use?

My 1.5yr old King Shep has ear troubles. He gets nasty smelling brown
gunk in
there that irritates the heck out of him. He's 130lbs and not fat,
although I suspect
at least 35lbs is hair.

His 1st vet visit for this was at 8mo's old. We got a thorough ear
cleaning, a
7 day course of cipro, antibiotic ear drops, and a $175 bill (meds
included).
Vet told me that this big breed dog will likely have future problems.
He advised that
moisture in the lower end of the ear canal doesn't dry out and is a
breeding ground
for bacteria. The fact that I live on a lake and this started soon
after dogs first
week of swimming puts it all in perspective.

Since then I've used hartz ear cleaner on a weekly basis. Fill,
Massage, Shake, done.

It's kept him clear for the most part, but theres always more brown
gunk coming at
our weekly cleanings than I think should be there...I suspect that
the Hartz formula
is good at breaking up/dissolving the crud, but doesn't dry up.

He's off to the vet this week as he's obviously got another infection
in there. No swimming
recently though. As stated, I figure the Hartz stuff was doing a
marginal job.

Whats a better weekly treatment/product to manage his ear health?
Whats BEST for
a dog with over productive ear glands that are at the bottom of an
ear canal that would
challenge a swiss keebler elf to descend?

I'm open to product recommendations or home-remedies.

Thanks !

MPDsvillle

Old February 1st 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Puddin' Man

On 31 Jan 2007 22:59:50 -0800, wrote:

My 1.5yr old King Shep has ear troubles. He gets nasty smelling brown
gunk in
there that irritates the heck out of him. He's 130lbs and not fat,
although I suspect
at least 35lbs is hair.

I'm no expert, but I -have- wrestled with such an alligator ...

His 1st vet visit for this was at 8mo's old. We got a thorough ear
cleaning, a
7 day course of cipro, antibiotic ear drops, and a $175 bill (meds
included).
Vet told me that this big breed dog will likely have future problems.

Certain breeds are known for ear problems.

He advised that
moisture in the lower end of the ear canal doesn't dry out and is a
breeding ground
for bacteria.

It's like a petrie dish for, IIRC, bacteria, fungus, etc.

The fact that I live on a lake and this started soon
after dogs first
week of swimming puts it all in perspective.

Since then I've used hartz ear cleaner on a weekly basis. Fill,
Massage, Shake, done.

As I recall, the "massage" part requires a "touch". Did you watch
-very- carefully when the vet did it?

It's kept him clear for the most part, but theres always more brown
gunk coming at
our weekly cleanings than I think should be there...I suspect that
the Hartz formula
is good at breaking up/dissolving the crud, but doesn't dry up.

He's off to the vet this week as he's obviously got another infection
in there. No swimming
recently though. As stated, I figure the Hartz stuff was doing a
marginal job.

Watch very carefully while the vet treats the ears. Ask questions ...

Whats a better weekly treatment/product to manage his ear health?
Whats BEST for
a dog with over productive ear glands that are at the bottom of an
ear canal that would
challenge a swiss keebler elf to descend?

I'm open to product recommendations or home-remedies.

I'm guessing that if you let the dog swim, you're going
to continue to have problems.

Consider taking a personal trimmer to the underside of the
ears. The more hair you remove, the more air that can penetrate.
Promote ventilation and prevent swimming and you *may* solve
the problem.

I got good mileage from Oti-Clens Ear Cleaning Solution
(i.e. at
http://www.healthypets.com/oticlens.html) some
years ago.

I'd check his/her ears every nite until they show clean.

Hope it helps.

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Old February 1st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Chronic ear issues are one of the classic signs of food allergy. Even in
breed specific dogs with historically moist ears, changing to a diet such as
Z/D with no other food or treat products may drastically reduce the issue.
If it doesn't, then you're assured that it is not related to food allergies.
Try it for a couple months. Can't hurt and would rule that in or out.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Feb 1, 6:22 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

Yep. I've got the "touch" down.

It's kept him clear for the most part, but theres always more brown
gunk coming at
our weekly cleanings than I think should be there...I suspect that
the Hartz formula
is good at breaking up/dissolving the crud, but doesn't dry up.

He's off to the vet this week as he's obviously got another infection
in there. No swimming
recently though. As stated, I figure the Hartz stuff was doing a
marginal job.

Watch very carefully while the vet treats the ears. Ask questions ...

Will Do.

Whats a better weekly treatment/product to manage his ear health?
Whats BEST for
a dog with over productive ear glands that are at the bottom of an
ear canal that would
challenge a swiss keebler elf to descend?

I'm open to product recommendations or home-remedies.

I'm guessing that if you let the dog swim, you're going
to continue to have problems.

Vet told me same thing 1st time around. His "1st time around" I didn't
mention to the vet that he got dunked a few times while playing with
my kid in the water. Normally dogs keep their heads above water while
swimming. When he swam after 1st infection I made sure that
rough-housing in the water was OUT. He keeps his head above water and
ears dry by default. Playing in the Lake with kid was directly
responsible
for first experience, but not since.

Consider taking a personal trimmer to the underside of the
ears. The more hair you remove, the more air that can penetrate.
Promote ventilation and prevent swimming and you *may* solve
the problem.

Vet told me that too 1st time around. Good Call.

I got good mileage fromOti-ClensEar Cleaning Solution
(i.e. athttp://www.healthypets.com/oticlens.html) some
years ago.

Does it DRY UP? My major concern with the Hartz stuff is that it
really doesn't seem like it dries out. It occurs to me that if it
doesnt
dry up, then I'm keeping his lower ear canal permanently moist.

I'd check his/her ears every nite until they show clean.

Yep. Ive been doing a weekly visit with the hartz stuff and we've been
OK for quite some time (months). Now I've got a "flare up" so am
reviewing
our routine maintenance schedule + supplies. Hence this post.
I can say we've skipped a weekly cleaning now and again since he had
no visible discomfort, but that carelessness stops now. Same for
trimming
ear hair.

Old February 2nd 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Puddin' Man

On 1 Feb 2007 17:31:34 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 1, 6:22 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

I got good mileage fromOti-ClensEar Cleaning Solution
(i.e. athttp://www.healthypets.com/oticlens.html) some
years ago.

Does it DRY UP?

Yes. 'Tis designed to evaporate pretty quickly.

The more you get air to its ears, the quicker it'll dry.

My major concern with the Hartz stuff is that it
really doesn't seem like it dries out. It occurs to me that if it
doesnt
dry up, then I'm keeping his lower ear canal permanently moist.

What's in the Hartz stuff?

Here's Ingredients for Oti-Clens:
Propylene glycol, malic acid, benzoic acid, salicylic acid.

I'd check his/her ears every nite until they show clean.

Yep. Ive been doing a weekly visit with the hartz stuff and we've been
OK for quite some time (months). Now I've got a "flare up" so am
reviewing
our routine maintenance schedule + supplies. Hence this post.
I can say we've skipped a weekly cleaning now and again since he had
no visible discomfort, but that carelessness stops now. Same for
trimming
ear hair.

Vigilance may well be the key.

Cheers,