Tasha update

Old February 2nd 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

Default Tasha update

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions amputation. We saw
the vet Wednesday and had x-rays taked of the offending leg and the
chest. The ulna has been almost completely destroyed and the vet now
thinks we're dealing with a chondrosarcoma or fibrosarcoma, since it's
moving up (munching up) the leg but not metastasizing anywhere else.
Chest x-ray showed normal changes of aging. Vet thought she'd be a
good candidate for amputation, for a number of reasons. But the SMAC,
which came back today, showed that Tasha's in early renal failure.
We're going to start her on KD tomorrow, and if the BUN and creatinine
come down sufficiently within a week, surgery is still a possibility.
If they don't, no surgery, and I'll be looking for homemade kidney
diets (I'll be doing that anyway).

Mustang Sally
Old February 2nd 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread : sighthounds &
siberians whittled the following words:

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions amputation. We saw
the vet Wednesday and had x-rays taked of the offending leg and the
chest. The ulna has been almost completely destroyed and the vet now
thinks we're dealing with a chondrosarcoma or fibrosarcoma, since it's
moving up (munching up) the leg but not metastasizing anywhere else.
Chest x-ray showed normal changes of aging. Vet thought she'd be a
good candidate for amputation, for a number of reasons. But the SMAC,
which came back today, showed that Tasha's in early renal failure.
We're going to start her on KD tomorrow, and if the BUN and creatinine
come down sufficiently within a week, surgery is still a possibility.
If they don't, no surgery, and I'll be looking for homemade kidney
diets (I'll be doing that anyway).

Mustang Sally

Good luck! Sorry for the terrible news
Old February 2nd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:54:28 GMT, sighthounds & siberians
wrote:

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions amputation. We saw
the vet Wednesday and had x-rays taked of the offending leg and the
chest. The ulna has been almost completely destroyed and the vet now
thinks we're dealing with a chondrosarcoma or fibrosarcoma, since it's
moving up (munching up) the leg but not metastasizing anywhere else.
Chest x-ray showed normal changes of aging. Vet thought she'd be a
good candidate for amputation, for a number of reasons. But the SMAC,
which came back today, showed that Tasha's in early renal failure.
We're going to start her on KD tomorrow, and if the BUN and creatinine
come down sufficiently within a week, surgery is still a possibility.
If they don't, no surgery, and I'll be looking for homemade kidney
diets (I'll be doing that anyway).

I'm so sorry, Sally. I hope she does well on the kidney diet and that she
can have the surgery. I have to think she will feel a lot better overall
once she has that leg amputated and recovers from the surgery.

Let us know how she does, and try to hang in there.

--
Lynne
Old February 2nd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Sally,
Thanks for the update. I know you will continue to do all that you
can for Tasha and she knows it too!!!!
Best of luck and I am sorry that you and Tasha have to go through so
much.

Be Free.....Judy

Old February 2nd 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Feb 2, 6:42 am, elegy wrote:
the people on the yahoo group k9kidneydiet were very very helpful
(with diet and many other things) and kind when i was dealing with
kidney disease in my mini poodle. you might try checking them out.

Thanks so much for posting that - - I knew there was canine kidney a
list and after I posted here I kicked myself for not asking if anyone
knew the name. Not thinking clearly. I do want to check them out and
get some ideas for diet etc. - Tasha can be a picky eater and I can't
imagine she's going to be enthusiastic about anything with a Hill's
label on it. I also know there's very, very little chance of her
kidney values coming down significantly, so it's now a question of
what's going to get her first. It sucks.

Mustang Sally

Old February 2nd 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
"sighthounds & siberians" wrote:

I also know there's very, very little chance of her
kidney values coming down significantly, so it's now a question of
what's going to get her first. It sucks.

I'm really sorry. You've had way more than your share of losses. I
hope that Tasha can be comfortable and happy for whatever time she has
left here.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 2nd 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

I also know there's very, very little chance of her
kidney values coming down significantly, so it's now a question of
what's going to get her first. It sucks.

I'm really sorry about all this crap that keeps happening to you. Here's to
hoping that Tasha's kidneys give you some pleasant news the next time
around.

Suja

Old February 2nd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in
ups.com:

I also know there's very, very little chance of her
kidney values coming down significantly, so it's now a question of
what's going to get her first. It sucks.

If its any help at all, a friend's dog was diagnosed with serious kidney
issues over 6 years ago. I wish I could remember how serious it was, but I
recall her being afraid she was going to lose him within the year whenh he
was diagnosed. I know her well enough to know that she hasn't been feeding
a special food, though I'm sure she's kept up with any medication he was
prescribed (if any). She loves her little guy, and takes really good care
of him, but hasn't done anything special that I know about to treat his
kidneys, and yet...he keeps on trucking.

Whatever angel has been visiting my friend, here's hoping you get a visit
from that cosmic bugger as well.

I'm sorry the news was so mixed and filled with difficult choices.

Tara
Old February 3rd 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions amputation. We saw
the vet Wednesday and had x-rays taked of the offending leg and the
chest. The ulna has been almost completely destroyed and the vet now
thinks we're dealing with a chondrosarcoma or fibrosarcoma, since it's
moving up (munching up) the leg but not metastasizing anywhere else.
Chest x-ray showed normal changes of aging. Vet thought she'd be a
good candidate for amputation, for a number of reasons. But the SMAC,
which came back today, showed that Tasha's in early renal failure.
We're going to start her on KD tomorrow, and if the BUN and creatinine
come down sufficiently within a week, surgery is still a possibility.
If they don't, no surgery, and I'll be looking for homemade kidney
diets (I'll be doing that anyway).

sorry to hear about Tasha. our best feel better wishes are coming your way

Old February 3rd 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

[...]

I hope the KD helps and Tasha can go ahead with the surgery. Are IV fluids
for a few days an option?

Beth