Sores under eyes

Old February 2nd 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Sores under eyes

My 9-week-old puppy has two sores under her eyes in the same place on
both sides....about a half inch below the front of each eye. One
appeared last week and I assumed she brushed up against something, but
with 2 now and in the same place I wonder if there is something
anatomical. She also occasionally puts her paws down over her face
almost like a cat washing its face and I thought she might have
scratched the areas with her dew claws, but I don't know. Any ideas?
They look like little abrasions. Thanks, dkw

Old February 2nd 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article .com,
" wrote:

My 9-week-old puppy has two sores under her eyes in the same place on
both sides.

What does your vet say? Sounds like she may very well have demodectic
mange.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 2nd 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread oups.com:
" whittled the following words:

My 9-week-old puppy has two sores under her eyes in the same place on
both sides....about a half inch below the front of each eye. One
appeared last week and I assumed she brushed up against something, but
with 2 now and in the same place I wonder if there is something
anatomical. She also occasionally puts her paws down over her face
almost like a cat washing its face and I thought she might have
scratched the areas with her dew claws, but I don't know. Any ideas?
They look like little abrasions. Thanks, dkw

It sounds as if it might be mange. I'd be taking her to the vet.
Old February 2nd 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

It sounds as if it might be mange. I'd be taking her to the vet.

Ditto

Old February 2nd 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Melinda Shore wrote:

Medicated shampoo won't get rid of Demodex. Demodectic
mange and sarcoptic mange are two different things.

And if it's sarcoptic, it's contagious.

Not to mention that there could be autoimmune issues that would
preclude vaccinating the dog. Best to have the skin problem
diagnosed before the next round of vax.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old February 2nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
shelly wrote:
Not to mention that there could be autoimmune issues that would
preclude vaccinating the dog. Best to have the skin problem
diagnosed before the next round of vax.

Demodectic mange in youngsters isn't necessarily suggestive
of immune system problems, and may be something that the pup
would outgrow. Still, there's been no diagnosis and it's
something that really ought to be looked at by a vet. It
could be something else entirely.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old February 2nd 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread : shelly shelly@cat-
sidh.net whittled the following words:

Melinda Shore wrote:

Medicated shampoo won't get rid of Demodex. Demodectic
mange and sarcoptic mange are two different things.

And if it's sarcoptic, it's contagious.

Not to mention that there could be autoimmune issues that would
preclude vaccinating the dog. Best to have the skin problem
diagnosed before the next round of vax.

Well in a week it won't kill the dog, and if the vet things it's immune
mediated, then he won't vaccinate at that time anyway. He will
diagnose/treat and schedule vax for later. if it's contagious...
procrastination will only cost the owner more, but a week is a reasonable
time frame.. if the owner is warned that there may be a delay in vax and
possible further expense due to procrastination
Old February 2nd 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Melinda Shore wrote:

Demodectic mange in youngsters isn't necessarily suggestive
of immune system problems,

I didn't say it was. There are non-mange autoimmune disorders that
express themselves in skin problems. It may be unlikely that the
dog has such a problem, but I'd want to rule it out before
continuing on with vaccinations. I think it's D-U-M to vaccinate a
sick dog.

and may be something that the pup
would outgrow. Still, there's been no diagnosis and it's
something that really ought to be looked at by a vet. It
could be something else entirely.

Exactly.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old February 2nd 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

diddy wrote:

Well in a week it won't kill the dog, and if the vet things it's immune
mediated, then he won't vaccinate at that time anyway.

If it's *not* an autoimmune problem, then personally, I would want
to get that figured out now, so that vax could be given on schedule.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)