Here's my dog's stool issue....

Old February 4th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Bear

Default Here's my dog's stool issue....

I've got a 13 week old Berner puppy that has been wonderful for the 4
weeks we have had him except for one issue. When we got him home and
started switching him to the food of our choice (Foster and Smith
Chicken and Rice) he developed diarrhea and loose stools. He is
currently eating a rice/burger mixed with Dick Van Patten's Natural
Balance. A little better with this combo but still loose sometimes.
I say sometimes because pretty much throghout this ordeal he has had
normal stools early in the day/early afternoon that get progressively
soft as the day goes on and then turns to diarrhea at night. The vet
thought that was strange and didn't have much advice (test were
negative). With a little burger and rice added in he is OK but not
perfect. Should I solider on for another couple weeks SLOWLY phasing
out the burger/rice or could it be the food and should I try an
alternative such as the Van Patten's Duck/Rice which they claim is
better for dogs with possible food allergies. Thanks for the help.

Bear

Old February 4th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance.

(screeeeech)! Dick Van Patten.... Eight is Enough dad? Has a dog food? ;-)

As for the stool. I'd put him on as bland diet as possible and very slowly
over time add the regular food. Something like Hills i/d or maybe boiled
(unseasoned) chicken and white rice. SOme folks have had success with
unseasoned canned pumpkin as a binder, but even that I'd hold off on until
he has had success with the bland diet for a couple days.

Old February 6th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
caroline7112007

On Feb 4, 2:23 pm, montana wildhack
On 2007-02-04 13:02:08 -0500, "Bear" said:

throghout this ordeal he has had
normal stools early in the day/early afternoon that get progressively
soft as the day goes on and then turns to diarrhea at night.

The advice Sharon Too gave is great. I wonder if some of these issues
have to do with overfeeding the puppy.

We know first hand that over feeding puppies can cause loose stools.

And switching foods quickly can also cause digestive upset in some dogs.

If you keep switching foods you may cause more problems than you fix
because you don't know what the problem is to begin with.

Since diet seems to be the general discussion. I would like to get
advice on the debate of do you give kibbles or raw foods (meats) to
you pet. I am getting an Irish Wolfhound, and looking to give him the
best advantage in his diet.

Thanks for your responses.

Old February 8th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
bethgsd

"caroline7112007" wrote in message

Since diet seems to be the general discussion. I would like to get
advice on the debate of do you give kibbles or raw foods (meats) to
you pet. I am getting an Irish Wolfhound, and looking to give him the
best advantage in his diet.

Thanks for your responses.

Caroline,

There are both raw feeders here and kibble feeders. Everyone has what works
best for their dogs.
I would ask the breeder what she is feeding and how. If you feel
comfortable with that then great. If you want to switch the best way is
usually over a week or so. (The dogs I have now I can switch cold turkey
with little trouble.)
If you decide to go with a raw diet please do your research. There are some
good books out there that give recipes and feeding plans and explain the
whys and hows. It isn't something to do in a halfassed manner.
I have fed raw, along the lines of Billinghurst. Now for various reasons I
feed kibble. The food that works for us is Pro Plan. I believe Robin N
feeds Eukanuba and Diddy feeds Hills.

Good luck.

Beth