The dog next door...

Old February 5th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Default The dog next door...

(Melanie L Chang) wrote in news:eq2olq$27e6$4
@netnews.upenn.edu:

I hesitate to narc on my neighbor for a number of reasons. One is that
when I got Solo, he barked a lot, I mean, a LOT, due to his separation
anxiety -- and it was that high yippy strangled separation anxiety bark
that is extra-horrible to listen to. My neighbors never complained.
Granted, the walls in my old building were really thick but I have
remained grateful for this ever since and would like to pass along the
good karma. On the other hand, I think the dog next door is really
lonely. I am considering leaving an anonymous note on the door that
says, "Your dog barks all the time when you are gone. We think he is
very lonely and perhaps alone at home a bit too much." I would sign it
"your neighbors." I would not sign it by name because even in a
dog-friendly building, I am not keen to get on my neighbors' bad side.

I'd be more upfront about it and not pretend it's a neighborhood
complaint. Let the person know that you are not judging them harshly
because you have a dog who went through a bad barking period yourself,
but that you aren't sure that they know the dog barks so much since it
apparently barks when they are not at home and let them know that you
wanted them to know and if there was anything you could do to help. For
example, you could let them know what helped with Solo's barking. It may
not be the same for them, but letting them know that you have been
through the same and that you are assuming that it is something they
don't know about instead of them being bad dog owners or inconsiderate
neighbors would make it far less likely that they would be mad about your
saying something. Even if it doesn't work as far as getting better
treatment for the dog, I wouldn't think they would be so offended by that
approach to do something nasty. Nastiness is more likely if you seem to
be appointing yourself the neiborhood spokesperson.

Paula