Strange Condition with Sensitive Paws

Old February 8th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Strange Condition with Sensitive Paws

My 5 year old Austrialian Cattle Dog is experiencing a strange
condition and I was hoping someone can suggest what is happening to
her. For the last 2 weeks about once a day her back legs and/or feet
seem to cramp up. She walks with real high steps almost like a horse.
The front feet are sometimes affected too. It seems like she does not
want to touch the ground. It lasts about 15 minutes then she is
normal. I can not connect it to any trigger. Her regular vet and a vet
neurologist have run all the preliminary tests (bloodwork, x-rays,
reflexes, EMT, etc) and everything is normal so far. (She did start
meds for glaucoma just prior to onset of symptoms, eye vet says that
would not be the cause) Any ideas or a good web site or book where I
could research this would be apprecited. I am afraid it could cost
thousands of dollars in tests and the vets may still not diagnosis it.

Old February 9th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
My 5 year old Austrialian Cattle Dog is experiencing a strange
condition and I was hoping someone can suggest what is happening to
her. For the last 2 weeks about once a day her back legs and/or feet
seem to cramp up. She walks with real high steps almost like a horse.
The front feet are sometimes affected too. It seems like she does not
want to touch the ground. It lasts about 15 minutes then she is
normal.

.....weird. Anything else you notice? I take it the vets have never seen
her do this? The best thing you can do is to take extensive notes. What do
her eyes look like in this state? Have you ever tried to move her legs
around while she's like this or are they stiff? Is she responsive to your
voice when this happens? If she knows how to sit on command see if she'll
do it then. When she comes out of this state is she restless or does she
pant? I'm sure you can think of other things. I'm wondering if this isn't
a seizure of some sort.

(She did start
meds for glaucoma just prior to onset of symptoms, eye vet says that
would not be the cause)

...........I think I would still research the drug she's on, despite that
disclaimer. If it is also a human med, search for side effects there too.
You just never know when a weird side effect could show up. I'm wondering
why she has glaucoma at such a young age? Do they think it's genetic?

Old February 9th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Feb 8, 7:16 pm, "buglady" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... My 5 year old Austrialian Cattle Dog is experiencing a strange
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I took the neurologist a video of her gait. He
really does not seem to know whats up and is now suggesting an MRI or
valium. I think that is drastic at this point. When it happens she
responds to commands, is not stiff or seem to be in any pain. Her
response reminds me of how a dog might respond if her feet were numb
or had a pins and needles sensation. Like you, someone else suggested
it may be the meds she is on. Sure enough one of the side effects in
humans of her drop Trusopt is tingling in the hands and feet (pins and
needles). I plan to ask the eye doctor if we can try taking her off it
to see if the symptom goes away.

If anyone has experience with the glaucoma drug Trusopt, I would like
to hear about it.

Old February 9th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

There are probably other medications out there that can be used to treat her
eyes. Maybe he can switch her to something else and see if the symptons
leave.

Celeste

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 10th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
Like you, someone else suggested
it may be the meds she is on. Sure enough one of the side effects in
humans of her drop Trusopt is tingling in the hands and feet (pins and
needles). I plan to ask the eye doctor if we can try taking her off it
to see if the symptom goes away.

.........You just never know! Is Trusopt actually a veterinary drug or one
that's a human med that they use off label?

Old February 11th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

http://www.dcavm.org/01sep.htm
Tingling of the feet is also mentioned for dogs---page way down under
Glaucoma

I wonder if there's a breed prediliction to the reaction of the drug? There
are other drugs to try. I wouldn't abandon all of them at once, partcularly
if the interocular pressure is high.

As for the other drugs you mentioned in the other post, all I can suggest is
to do a thorough web search. Here's one site with all the drugs discussed:
http://www.bcvma.net/artman/publish/article_46.shtml

More that discusses glaucoma and all treatments available.
http://www.veterinaryvision.com/dvm_...m-glaucoma.htm
http://www.seattleveterinaryassociates.com/glaucoma.htm
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...ID=8717&O=Gene
ric

I used the name of the drug plus vet. This narrows the search down to your
needs.

There's also a general website called www.blinddogs.com that discusses
glaucoma.

The most important thing you can do right now is to use your eyes and read
all you can. Good luck to you and your pup.

Old February 11th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

More that discusses glaucoma and all treatments available.http://www.veterinaryvision.com/dvm_...A2004&PID=8717...
ric

I used the name of the drug plus vet. This narrows the search down to your
needs.

There's also a general website calledwww.blinddogs.comthat discusses
glaucoma.

The most important thing you can do right now is to use your eyes and read
all you can. Good luck to you and your pup.

Thanks sooo much! Even the package insert for Trusopt mentions the
tingling. I wish I would have discovered this first before going to
the neurologist and spending $1600 on tests that all came back normal.
If this turns out to be the cause I will be upset that the neurologist
did not research it as a possibility. I made him aware she was on
these new meds.

Old February 11th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks sooo much! Even the package insert for Trusopt mentions the
tingling. I wish I would have discovered this first before going to
the neurologist and spending $1600 on tests that all came back normal.

......From what I read this drug also can make the heart race. It may be
that which you were seeing. Try taking a heart rate when this isn't
happening, and if the dog is still on the drug and starts with the symptoms
again, take the heart rate at that time. You just put your ear to his chest
to do this. I've noticed a cheap stethoscope in a farm store too.

Old February 15th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Feb 11, 5:35 pm, "buglady" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Thanks sooo much! Even the package insert for Trusopt mentions the
tingling. I wish I would have discovered this first before going to
the neurologist and spending $1600 on tests that all came back normal.

.....From what I read this drug also can make the heart race. It may be
that which you were seeing. Try taking a heart rate when this isn't
happening, and if the dog is still on the drug and starts with the symptoms
again, take the heart rate at that time. You just put your ear to his chest
to do this. I've noticed a cheap stethoscope in a farm store too.

Well it has been a day and a half since she last had the Trusopt - and
no symptom observed yet. The eye vet said to stop Trusopt until Friday
and see what happens. He does not think that is the cause, but a least
he is willing to work with me to figure this out. I will also check
heart rate if it happens again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bald lumps on top of paws Puddin' Man Dog health 2 September 13th 06 10:30 PM
Swelling on paws Puddin' Man Dog health 3 October 9th 05 08:32 PM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 03:38 AM
Instant Review: Frosty Paws shelly Dog behavior 10 September 13th 03 01:37 AM
Instant Review: Frosty Paws shelly Dog behavior 0 September 11th 03 01:47 PM