needle aspirate or death ?

Old February 9th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default needle aspirate or death ?

My parents have mixe breed dog of 16 yrs

That seem to have developed problems..

He has lumps on him that looks quite bad and he has trouble
breathing , they took him to the vet but the vet said she would have
to put it under anaesthetic which could kill him to nivestigate.

I am not convinced and so I did a scout on web ..

and read about needle aspirate which im assuming doesnt require
anaesthetic given its suppoed to be painless.

Im not expert but if they dont know what it is I am puzzled why , if
its painless , they didnt do this .
Other factors that tie in with what may be lipoma and has me wondering
are the locations the fact he was very overweight and that the lumps i
read can mod with connective tissue - which might explain choking he
seems to do and dificulty breathing

I know this sounds bad and the poor dog looks msierable but its my
folks and they , well at least my mum cant handle the idea of putting
him down , neither can i if this is fixable ?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

thanks

matt

Old February 9th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

I would get the vet to do a complete blood panel, and then consider a
needle aspiration. They might be able to tell something from
bloodwork.

Old February 10th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would get the vet to do a complete blood panel, and then consider a
needle aspiration. They might be able to tell something from
bloodwork.

........I'd add a chest X-ray to bloodwork. If there's mets in the lungs,
then you know what's up. Fine needle aspirates are not always successful in
defining what the lump is. Most vets don't use anesthetic to do fine needle
aspirates. I can imagine though that's it's not really too comfortable and
maybe this vet won't do it without them. Nevertheless, I'd start with
bloodwork and an X-ray.

buglady
take out the dog before replying