Backseat Barrier?

Old February 11th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default Backseat Barrier?

http://www.backseatbarrier.com

Anyone tried this? I need a better dog solution for my company car
(sedan). Roxy doesn't do very well with the harness and seatbelt--she
twists herself up in them and has to constantly be rescued, no matter how
little slack I have in the system. I use a divider in the Outback, and
this is the only divider I could find for a sedan. Thoughts?

--
Lynne
Old February 11th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:41:31 GMT, diddy wrote:

A crate aways works and makes the dog safer than a barrier.

The seats in this car are too contoured and narrow for crates to sit on
securely, unfortunately, no matter how I try to strap them down.

--
Lynne
Old February 11th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
**~~**~~**

Ideas:
(Watch line wraps)

Pet Net
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...2&hasJS =true

Back Seat Hammock
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...032&hasJS=true

m...

Old February 11th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Lynne wrote in
m:

http://www.backseatbarrier.com

[...]

Thoughts?

Let her stay twisted or leave her at home. Seriously. A barrier
is better than nothing, assuming it's been installed properly, but
I wouldn't use one or recommend one. If that was the only option
available for me, my dog would stay at home. My safety and hers
are too important.

--
Shelly

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
making exciting discoveries.
-- A.A. Milne
Old February 11th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread .102: Shelly
whittled the following words:

Lynne wrote in
m:

http://www.backseatbarrier.com

[...]

Thoughts?

Let her stay twisted or leave her at home. Seriously. A barrier
is better than nothing, assuming it's been installed properly, but
I wouldn't use one or recommend one. If that was the only option
available for me, my dog would stay at home. My safety and hers
are too important.

I agree. Personally, I'd spend the time to TRAIN her to accept the
seat belt harness. And there are probably many side benefits to that as
well. Any dog that went spazzo in a car, or while restrained needs some
work IMO. And I certainly would have that fixed before introducing a new
puppy to a spazzo dog.

I have to say, when she mentioned this behavior, I was gobsmacked..
and then it all fell in line with the impulsive tradition that Lynne has
repeatedly established here.

I don't know why people accept bad behaviors and then accomodate
them rather than fix them.
Old February 11th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

diddy wrote in
:

I agree. Personally, I'd spend the time to TRAIN her to accept
the seat belt harness. And there are probably many side benefits
to that as well.

So would I. Or I'd use a crate. Or I'd leave the dog at home.

Any dog that went spazzo in a car, or while restrained needs
some work IMO. And I certainly would have that fixed before
introducing a new puppy to a spazzo dog.

It doesn't take being spazzo to get twisted up. The type of
restraint can help or hurt, for a start. Harriet's harness makes
it nearly impossible for her to get twisted, as it clips directly
to the chest portion of the seat belt. The seatbelt has some give
in it, but it retracts as well, so she has enough play to lie down
and get comfortable, but not enough to get caught in the belt.
And, any slack is immediately retracted.

I don't know why people accept bad behaviors and then accomodate
them rather than fix them.

Because they don't mind living with the behavior, or maybe don't
even recognize it as a problem. Different strokes and all that.
--
Shelly

My business is circumference.
-- Emily Dickenson
Old February 11th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:29:38 GMT, Shelly wrote:

It doesn't take being spazzo to get twisted up. The type of
restraint can help or hurt, for a start.

Exactly. For the record, as much fun as it is to ASSume stuff (not
directed at you, Shelly), she's not a spazzo in the car... I'll look for a
different type of restraint for her. The one I have is designed for use in
the car, but clips through the shoulder belt of the car restraint in the
back of the harness. In the process of laying down to get comfortable and
standing up to look out the window--which I do want her to be able to do
because she enjoys the view--she twists behind the seat belt and get's
uncomfortably stuck, and sometimes tangled.

What brand do you have, Shelly?

Leaving her at home is not an option. I won't have a dog I can't take with
me.

--
Lynne
Old February 11th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:19:30 GMT, diddy wrote:

I have to say, when she mentioned this behavior, I was gobsmacked..
and then it all fell in line with the impulsive tradition that Lynne has
repeatedly established here.

Diddy, what happened to having me in your killfile? I guess you prefer to
sit back and take shots at people.

--
Lynne
Old February 11th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:12:39 GMT, diddy wrote:

I had looked up some google rpdp posts and it seemed you had lost your
snarky nasty posts, and settled down in a conversational tone, so I
unkillfiled you
I like how defensive and nasty you get as soon as criticised though.
You have admitted that you were impulsive, and when your impulsiveness
was pointed out, once again you feel attacked for something you have
admitted is a set trait with you.

What about asking for advice on an vehicle solution is impulsive?

Is it the fact that I pointed this out that you insinuated that i'm an
ass?

This particular thread makes no difference in my opinion of you.

--
Lynne
Old February 11th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Lynne wrote in
m:

What brand do you have, Shelly?

http://www.ruffrider.com/

The Roadie LX.

Leaving her at home is not an option. I won't have a dog I
can't take with me.

I have this belief that you tend to get what you ask the universe
for. When I was last dog hunting, one of the few criteria I had
in mind was "loves car rides." She does, and is very well behaved
in the car. Not liking car rides wouldn't have been a deal
breaker at the time I got her, but it would be now. Any future
dogs I get will *have* to be acclimated to riding in the car.

--
Shelly

You must have chaos in your heart to give birth to a dancing star.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche