problem after spaying

Old February 13th 07, 02:25 AM
stori stori is offline
Junior Member

Default problem after spaying

After picking my 6 mo old lab/mix up from being spayed I noticed a large bulge where her stitches were. A week later when I took her back to the vet to have the stitches removed I asked the vet about the bulge. She stated the interior stitches were too tight 7 once they dissolved the bulge would go away. Another week has gone by and the bulge is still there I noticed this evening there is a small amount of oozing liquid coming out. I did not feel compfortabel with the answer the vet gave, should I be worried? Has Anyone else experienced this?
Old February 13th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread : stori
whittled the following words:

After picking my 6 mo old lab/mix up from being spayed I noticed a large
bulge where her stitches were. A week later when I took her back to the
vet to have the stitches removed I asked the vet about the bulge. She
stated the interior stitches were too tight 7 once they dissolved the
bulge would go away. Another week has gone by and the bulge is still
there I noticed this evening there is a small amount of oozing liquid
coming out. I did not feel compfortabel with the answer the vet gave,
should I be worried? Has Anyone else experienced this?

take the dog to the vet... another one if necessary
Old February 13th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
bob and shel

stori wrote:
After picking my 6 mo old lab/mix up from being spayed I noticed a large
bulge where her stitches were. A week later when I took her back to the
vet to have the stitches removed I asked the vet about the bulge. She
stated the interior stitches were too tight 7 once they dissolved the
bulge would go away. Another week has gone by and the bulge is still
there I noticed this evening there is a small amount of oozing liquid
coming out. I did not feel compfortabel with the answer the vet gave,
should I be worried? Has Anyone else experienced this?

Hi Stori,

I am not a vet. I am a nurse who works with humans who have recently
had surgery, so keep in mind the only thing I know about dogs is what I
deal with with my dog. : ) That being said...

Often times after surgery, people develop a seroma, or a pocket of fluid
that builds up under the skin after surgery. It's often described to
patients as the fluid your body sends to the area to help it heal. If
the stitches are tight or the skin closes quickly, the serous fluid
(kind of a clear yellowish or pinkish) does not have a chance to seep
out of the incision immediately post op, and one develops a seroma. If
the fluid is bloody, it would be a hematoma. Quite often these do
resolve on their own by being absorbed by the body from the inside, or
by seeping out through the incision. However sometimes the pocket of
fluid becomes infected if it doesn't drain on its own in a timely enough
manner.

So, to answer your question (IMHO).... IF this is what it is, while it
isn't a common occurrence, it generally isn't worrisome. Your vet was
most likely correct with what he/she told you. It doesn't mean he/she
did something wrong. This is just one of the (many) possible things
that can happen after surgery.

I would go back to your vet just to make sure this isn't worrisome. If
the fluid is now draining and the bulge is getting smaller, and it isn't
infected, he/she may want you to wait just let it resolve on its own.
If the bulge stays big and doesn't drain on its own, they may want to
aspirate it with a needle or open the incision a tiny bit to allow it to
drain more effectively. If it becomes infected, your pup will need
antibiotics, so you'd need to watch for that (is the fluid pus-like or
foul smelling?). I have also seen patients whose incisions have opened
a small amount with a certain movement and had a "gush" of fluid, then
the seroma/hematoma was gone. It scared the you know what out of them,
but it was actually a good thing. : )

My MIL's dog had an incision that didn't heal for weeks and weeks (I
mean it stayed open for weeks). Finally they opened her back up again,
and it turned out the dog was having a reaction to the internal sutures.
Those were removed and then she healed fine. The vet had never seen
that happen before with that kind of suture.

Or, it could be an incisional hernia, but that would be much more unlikely.

Unfortunately, sometimes medicine is a game of educated guesses, and I
may totally wrong here. So, go back to the vet, make sure everything is
still fine (no infection), but know that what he/she told you the first
time was definitely and appropriate answer.

Good luck!

Shel
Old February 14th 07, 04:42 AM
Daisy-May's Mom Daisy-May's Mom is offline
Junior Member

My 7 month was just spayed 6 days ago and she has a lump like your dog. It does not bother her in the least and she is again quite herself and active like a pup should be...but I am worried about the lump. I haven't called the vet yet as she has been away but I'll call her tomorrow and is she tells me anything other than what your vet told you I will post it...
thanks for your question.
it was the reason I joined this site
Daze's Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob and shel

Old February 15th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
silvercelt

If it is the internal sutures, they can take many weeks to dissolve.
I would take her back to the vets just in case. They can get hernias
post operatively too, it is something you should get checked out. If
it is that then they would need to operate. It may be the sutures,
but I think either go back to your vet or get 2nd opinion.

Old February 15th 07, 05:03 PM
stori stori is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stori
After picking my 6 mo old lab/mix up from being spayed I noticed a large bulge where her stitches were. A week later when I took her back to the vet to have the stitches removed I asked the vet about the bulge. She stated the interior stitches were too tight 7 once they dissolved the bulge would go away. Another week has gone by and the bulge is still there I noticed this evening there is a small amount of oozing liquid coming out. I did not feel compfortabel with the answer the vet gave, should I be worried? Has Anyone else experienced this?

Thank you everyone. It seems it was just fluid collecting and it has been draining, the lump is getting smaller every day. She was never bothered by it, but I get overly paranoid when it comes to her.
Old February 16th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
silvercelt

--
stori

That is good to hear that she is ok. It is best to be concerned/
paranoid even, you never know it could have been something more..I
always tell our clients not to be afraid to ring if they have the
slightest concerns. It is always best to get them checked to make
sure all is ok. Great to hear she is doing well.