10 week old puppy has started chewing up his pee pad during the day.

Old February 14th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default 10 week old puppy has started chewing up his pee pad during the day.

The dog is a shar pei mix and he was just starting to get good at
using his pee pad during the day when he is alone. Now he has started
chewing it up and then there is huge mess when we get home. Any clever
solutions? Thanks

Old February 14th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

wrote in message
ups.com...
The dog is a shar pei mix and he was just starting to get good at
using his pee pad during the day when he is alone. Now he has started
chewing it up and then there is huge mess when we get home. Any clever
solutions? Thanks

Exactly how long is this baby puppy being left alone? That sounds like he's
lonely and bored, and playing with what he's got to hand.
10 weeks old is FAR too young for a dog to be isolated all day.
And you'll not get him housebroken if somebody isn't letting him out to pee
at appropriate times during the day, rather than teaching him it's ok to pee
on items on the floor...

IOW, my suggestion to you is to either arrange to go home in the middle of
the day, or get a dogwalker.

Old February 17th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

wrote in message
ups.com...
The dog is a shar pei mix and he was just starting to get good at
using his pee pad during the day when he is alone. Now he has started
chewing it up and then there is huge mess when we get home. Any clever
solutions? Thanks

One of my favorite breeds, the Shar Pei. Do you know what he's mixed with?
Got pictures? :-).

Is it possible for you to have someone come during the day and let him out,
so he doesn't have to "hold it" more than 3 hours at this point? Or maybe
you can go home for lunch and take him out? The Shar Pei in my experience
is the easiest breed to housebreak, as long as they can get outside in time.
They naturally have a strong aversion to messing where they live.

But at this point in your puppy's life, he doesn't have the muscle control
or maturity to "hold it" for very long.

Give your dog an appropriate chew toy or two (not rawhide). And see if you
can put him in a large puppy pen instead of a crate so that he is safely
confined, but doesn't have to live practically on top of his elimination
area (pee pad).

flick 100785