arthritis in dog

Old February 16th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Bob

Default arthritis in dog

I have an 11 year old sharpei who vet says is getting arthritis. She is now
taking rimadyl which seems to help but is rather expensive. I have heard
that the over the counter pills, osteo bi-flex, which of course is for
humans, also helps in animals. Has anyone here had any experience with this.
Have not asked the vet, figure he'll want me to keep buying the rimadyl,
which I will if theres no other choice. Thanks for any advise.

Old February 16th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Spot

I used Osteo-Biflex with my dog Barney with success. It won't probably give
the dog enough relief to do away with the Rimadyl but possibly allow you to
cut the dosage back. Take into consideration that it can take as long as 8
weeks for any of the glucosamine products to build up in the body and be
effective. The only issue I had with it is that pills are huge. Sometimes
getting the dog to take them can be a hassle. Fortunately for me Barney
would eat anything that had peanut butter in it so I would split the pill in
half and give him half in the morning and half at night.

Also I hope you had blood work done on your dog before putting him on the
Rimadyl. It's an NSaid and all nsaids can cause liver, kidney and internal
bleeding problems if not properly monitored. The majority of dogs have no
problem with it but the side effects are bad enough that you have to have
labs drawn regularly to catch any problems early on.

Once they get arthritis really bad it's a question of quality of life verses
the risk in some situations. In Barneys case the arthritis was severe and
with out the medications he just could not walk. Barney took Rimadyl for
over two years before we switched him to Deramaxx once we maxed out the
dosage of Rimadyl for a dog his size. In total he was on the two drugs for
over 5 years without any issue but I watched him like a hawk and got regular
blood work drawn to check on his liver & kidney function.

Even now I have a beagle/retriever mix who takes it for arthritis and even
with him he gets labs drawn to check his values. I wish I could get Buddy
to take the Osteo Biflex but he will spit out the pill no matter what I put
it in. I did purchase some MSM powder and I'm going to try it with him
instead.

Celeste

Old March 17th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dale Atkin

Bob wrote:
I have an 11 year old sharpei who vet says is getting arthritis. She is now
taking rimadyl which seems to help but is rather expensive. I have heard
that the over the counter pills, osteo bi-flex, which of course is for
humans, also helps in animals. Has anyone here had any experience with this.
Have not asked the vet, figure he'll want me to keep buying the rimadyl,
which I will if theres no other choice. Thanks for any advise.

I'm not sure if I follow you correctly on why your vet would want you to
keep buying Rimadyl. Do you think its to protect his profit margin, or
is it because Rimadyl is better, and your vet wouldn't recommend an
inferior product.
If its the former, give your vet a chance. They may surprise you. If its
the latter, again give your vet a chance. Once you let your vet know
that cost is an issue, they may be able to recommend other treatment
options that will help.

After a quick look at osteo bi-flex's page, it seems that its mostly a
joint supplement, which is good, but may not be enough. Interesting is
the disclaimer at the bottom of their webpage "These statements have not
been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are
not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. "

Dale
Old March 18th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dale Atkin

Jerry Howe wrote:
HOWEDY Dale,

Hey Jerry, long time no see.

On Mar 17, 11:54 am, Dale Atkin wrote:
Bob wrote:
I have an 11 year old sharpei who vet says is getting arthritis.
She is now taking rimadyl which seems to help but is rather
expensive.

SNIP

I'm not sure if I follow you correctly on why your
vet would want you to keep buying Rimadyl. Do you
think its to protect his profit margin, or is it
because Rimadyl is better, and your vet wouldn't
recommend an inferior product.

Rimadyl KILLS dogs, dale.

If your vaunted research was worth diddly, you'd know that I'm in fact
quite aware of the potential side effects of Rimadyl. Probably much more
so than you are. One of my dog's brothers died after being prescribed
Rimadyl. I didn't mention it for three reasons. First off, reactions to
Rimadyl are very rare. Secondly I'd seen that you'd already mentioned it
in another post. Finally, I imagine if the original poster was concerned
enough to be doing research, they probably have already googled the side
effects of Rimadyl.
Rimadyl can give many dogs a new lease on life. Its a powerful, and very
effective drug, but like all drugs, its not without side effects.

Dale