Dog has big hole in chest after operation

Old February 17th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dog has big hole in chest after operation

Hello
we are after advice regarding my Dog Louis. He's a two year old collie
lurcher. He has recently had two operations on his upper chest to
remove a lump which may have been caused by a foreign body or a hard
bump. The lump was the size of a large apple.
About two weeks ago he had it removed. Because Louis is quite
sensitive and easily aggravated the vet thought it best not to put a
"lamp shade" on him. Initially when we got Louis back he wore a
medical vest to keep his wound clean but because he didn't have a
"lamp shade" he seen ripped it off. The vet suggested we put T-shirts
on but these to got ripped. He constantly licked his wound. after a
week we noticed that his stitching was coming undone. In fact it had
almost gone and he was left with an open cut of about 5 inches long.
We booked him in to see the vet again and he was booked in for another
operation. We were expecting it to be a small operation just to re
stitch him up but when we got him back we realised that wasn't the
case. The vet had to clean out the wound and remove excess fluidThey
left a tube hanging out of his chest for any additional fluid to run
out of. This morning I court a glimpse of his wound and was horrified
to see a whole in his chest almost big enough to take a hand. This is
a big wound and is totally open. He now has a "lamp shade" but the
wound isn't covered He has a papery vest thing on but it's all baggy.
Most of the time his wound can be seen.
I phoned them up this morning and asked if it was meant to be exposed
and they replied that it was and that it was to drain the fluid. We
are booked in to see the vet again in two days time.
My question is: is this normal practice to leave such a big hole and
for it not to be covered up? It's the weekend at the moment, so only
emergency places are open at this time. Should I take him somewhere?
This is all so horrible for Louis as he's a very active Dog who likes
to run and play all day.
Any advice?

Old February 18th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...

I phoned them up this morning and asked if it was meant to be exposed
and they replied that it was and that it was to drain the fluid. We
are booked in to see the vet again in two days time.
My question is: is this normal practice to leave such a big hole and
for it not to be covered up?

.........Once it's contaminated and they need to drain it I think the
practice is to leave it open. Did you ask them if they'll stitch it up
soon?

This is all so horrible for Louis as he's a very active Dog who likes
to run and play all day.
Any advice?

......Well, he can't, just can't run around now, or you'll end up with a
badly infected wound which could kill him. A week or 10 days of slowing
down isn't going to kill him. Put him in a crate part of the day or keep
him leashed to you.

Old February 19th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shadow Walker

My brothers dog had a 4 inch long gash on her right side rib cage you could
stick four fingers into. The vet stitched it up but the dog ripped them all
out in 24 hours. They took her back and he said it would just have to stay
that way until it healed, that she would just rip it again. So they covered
it for short periods of time to keep dirt out of it, while she was out on
leash, and crated her the rest of the time. It took over a month to close
enough to let her run around in the yard off leash.

You do what you have to do for your dog because, like children, we sometimes
have to protect them from themselves.

oups.com...

Old February 20th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Hello

Sorry for the slow reply and thank you form the replys.
Louis seems to be doing fine. He still has a massive hole in his chest
it is covered wit a t-shirt and and looks cleen. He's on antibiotics
and is wearing his "lamp shade". So now
all that is needed is time. He has such sad fed-up eyes. It breaks my
heart. I can't wait to see him running on the beach again or in the
hills.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 21 Feb, 00:46, "Lisa BB." wrote:
wrote roups.com:

Hello

Sorry for the slow reply and thank you form the replys.
Louis seems to be doing fine. He still has a massive hole in his chest
it is covered wit a t-shirt and and looks cleen. He's on antibiotics
and is wearing his "lamp shade". So now
all that is needed is time. He has such sad fed-up eyes. It breaks my
heart. I can't wait to see him running on the beach again or in the
hills.

Hi,
I just joined the group. I hope Louis gets better real soon.

Hello Lisa

Thanks for that :-) He seems healthy apart from the massive hole in
his chest. The vet is now thinking about stitching him up again
because the hole is to big to heal on it's own but I think he's
worried that there is still access fluid in it. I'll give Louis a pat
from you.

Old February 24th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Hello

I hope Trudy is feeling better. It's such a nice feeling to get home
to a waggle tail.

Louis, getting stitched up again on Monday, helpfully that will be
it.

awwww, thanks. My Trudy was sick this week. In all her 11 years she
hasn't had a thing. Today she met me at the door when I came home. The
first time in a week.

That sounds like a good idea to close up the hole. I guess if the vet
could put in a "drain" that would be good, but for some reason not able to
I guess (?).

Old March 15th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Hello

Don't know if anyone will still be reading this thread but Louis the
dog is now fine. He did eventually get stitched up.

Here are two really grim pics of his wound http://moogli.co.uk/temp/dsc01601.jpg
and http://moogli.co.uk/temp/dsc01600.jpg

and here is one of him well: http://moogli.co.uk/temp/DSC01536.JPG

Thanks for the comments

Old March 16th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here are two really grim pics of his wound

http://moogli.co.uk/temp/dsc01601.jpg
and http://moogli.co.uk/temp/dsc01600.jpg

and here is one of him well: http://moogli.co.uk/temp/DSC01536.JPG

Yowza, sure was a big hole alright! Glad to see your pup healed up. What's
the crop he's laying next to - some kind of pea?

buglady
take out the dog befoe replying

Old March 17th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Hello

I don't know what the crop is it's in the south downs in Southern
England www.visitsouthdowns.com .

oups.com... Here are two really grim pics of his wound