Dog with no social skills. Pls help.

Old February 17th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Dog with no social skills. Pls help.

Ok, my GF and I are baby sitting her sister's dog this weekend. By
what other people told me, it's more likely a miniature pinscher.
Her sister rescued Sydney from the pound, she is 2 years old and I
think we can assume she has been abused.
Right after getting her off the pound she was very quiet and scared.
Now, a few months later she is a happy dog, very behaved at home and
doesn't bark or whine.
Her sister didn't take the dog training or getting her to learn to be
social.

So today, my GF and I , took sydney to dog's beach , here in
huntington beach. We didn't let her off the leash cause we wanted to
see her behavior first. She was barking at all dogs, no matter what
size. And she actually tried biting a couple of them. It didn't seem
like a playful bite.

So we decided just to walk her around, not so close to all dogs, but
sometimes we would take her closer. But she would start trying to
bite.

Here is the question. She is not a puppy anymore, what's the best way
to train her to be social?

Thanks for helping

Old February 17th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 17 Feb 2007 14:20:10 -0800, wrote:

[...]
So we decided just to walk her around, not so close to all dogs, but
sometimes we would take her closer. But she would start trying to
bite.

Here is the question. She is not a puppy anymore, what's the best way
to train her to be social?

Through good OBEDIENCE TRAINING, either in a group class or privately.
Your sister's vet can aim her in the right direction. And out in
public, don't let her off her leash until she has a totally reliable
recall (i.e., comes when called).

And by continually exposing her to POSITIVE social situations, and to
sound, sociable dogs.

She may never become Lassie, but she'll get better. And she can still
become a wonderful companion dog.

Another thing that will help is to stop assuming that she was abused.
It only adds unnecessary baggage to the scenario (e.g., you may expect
less of her, and you shouldn't). And she most likely wasn't abused
anyway, in the strict sense of the word, although she may have been
poorly *socialized* as a young puppy.

And thank your sister for me, for rescuing her!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Some Republicans are just as dumb as the Democrats:
http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/g/982...6-d4f4d1574fac
Democrats' new stragegy on Iraq - "Surrender Without Responsibility":
http://instapundit.com/archives2/2007/02/post_2518.php
Old February 18th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BlackVomit

On 17 Feb 2007 15:09:03 -0800,

kissed my bunghole and whined:

HOWEDY snobrasil,

Still at it LIAR? Just shut up and go away!
Old February 18th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Dog with no social skills. Pls help. [jerry] [ninnyboy]

I'm going to try a different approach with you, AssHowe, because you
don't understand anything else.

Here's the question: Your computer keeps crashing and you don't know
why. You have two choices:

A) A guy who claims to be a knowledgable "expert" with no proof who
is a known sex offender, liar and asshole

OR

B) A decent person who is just about as good with proof/a degree
showing he knows what he's doing, but is polite.

Who do you choose?

Old February 18th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.animals.dog
AWilliamson

On 17 Feb 2007 15:09:03 -0800,

wrote:

You must have the longest email name I have ever seen. Is it legit?

Save a Tree, Save our Planet, Recycle, Think Organic
http://www.shaklee.net/williamson
Thought of the day:
Picard! You cheated! I'm impressed! - Q