lipomas-profusion of multiple soft bumps

Old February 21st 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
warf

Default lipomas-profusion of multiple soft bumps

Our 9yr BCD has a dozen thumb sized squishy sub-dermal bumps on his
chest and abdomin and legs that came up quickly. The vet said 'lipomas'
and a general blood panel was unspectacular. Now our 11yr Cairn has a
large and smaller one on his for-leg. Big soft like fluid filled or very
mobile fat. Our last BCD developed these a year before cancer. Three
friends have noticed a profusion on their dogs as well...one is 3 yrs old.

Anyone else noticed a sudden outbreak of these underskin sacs?
warf
Old February 22nd 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"warf" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Our 9yr BCD has a dozen thumb sized squishy sub-dermal bumps on his
chest and abdomin and legs that came up quickly. The vet said 'lipomas'
and a general blood panel was unspectacular. Now our 11yr Cairn has a
large and smaller one on his for-leg. Big soft like fluid filled or very
mobile fat. Our last BCD developed these a year before cancer. Three
friends have noticed a profusion on their dogs as well...one is 3 yrs old.

Anyone else noticed a sudden outbreak of these underskin sacs?

......I think they're unusual on a 3 yr old and those lumps should definitely
be biopsied. Older dogs who start growing lipomas seem to join the lump of
the month club and make more and more. If you're concerned about them, I'd
get some aspirates done. FNAs aren't always definitive and if you're going
to sample all of them (as they may not all be lipomas), you might have to
anesthetize the dog. In fact if they do, you'd be better off with core
biopsies. IIRC they have found some DNA abnormalities in lipomas, but
they're not cancer. I have no idea why dogs make them. Sometimes their
location can impede locomotion and if you have one like that which is
growing fast, it's better to take it off early.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

Regardless of what the vet thinks they are did you have a biopsy to find out
exactly what they are. You can't treat them if you aren't sure. Some dogs
develop lots of lipomas but they all need a biopsy to be sure that's exactly
what they are. Barney was in the vets probably every 4 or 5 months for some
bump or another. Two of the times it turned out to be mast cell cancer and
not lipomas the rest were nothing to worry about. Better safe than sorry I
say.

Celeste

news:[email protected]

Old February 23rd 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
warf

Spot wrote:
Regardless of what the vet thinks they are did you have a biopsy to find out
exactly what they are. You can't treat them if you aren't sure. Some dogs
develop lots of lipomas but they all need a biopsy to be sure that's exactly
what they are. Barney was in the vets probably every 4 or 5 months for some
bump or another. Two of the times it turned out to be mast cell cancer and
not lipomas the rest were nothing to worry about. Better safe than sorry I
say.

Celeste

"warf" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Our 9yr BCD has a dozen thumb sized squishy sub-dermal bumps on his chest
and abdomin and legs that came up quickly. The vet said 'lipomas' and a
general blood panel was unspectacular. Now our 11yr Cairn has a large and
smaller one on his for-leg. Big soft like fluid filled or very mobile fat.
Our last BCD developed these a year before cancer. Three friends have
noticed a profusion on their dogs as well...one is 3 yrs old.

Anyone else noticed a sudden outbreak of these underskin sacs?
warf

Thanks Celeste and Buglady.
The vet did a FNA of the one he had at the time and determined it was
lipoma.
I was surprised how quickly more appeared...seemingly overnight!
Fluids I could understand but not lipids!
Warf.