Overcharged by my vet?

Old February 22nd 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Overcharged by my vet?

I cannot believe what I witnessed today. I picked up a prescription
from my vet for Amoxicillin, an antibiotic. It is 60 capsules at 500
mgs each. It is to treat his just diagnosed Lyme disease and also a
urinary tract infection. Normally I fill most of my dogs prescriptions
with online sources but because I wanted to start him on treatment
ASAP I figured I'd let them fill it. It cost me $68. I knew it would
likely cost me more than online but nearly as much as I have now found
out. After I got home I went online to compare and found that I can
get the same prescription from various reputable online sources from
anywhere from $9.95 for 100 capsules from kvvet.com to $21.60 for 60
caplets from 1800petmeds. Now I know and expect my vet to charge a
little more than the online suppliers but thats a ridiculous markup.
$10-21 vs $70 and the $10 gets me nearly double the supply. What do
you think I should do. Should I say something to my vet or simply let
it be a lesson learned never to let them fill my dogs prescriptions.

While I am at it, can I get some opinion on the charges for my dogs
recent visit that led up to this prescription. OH BTW he is a 11.5 yo
male Rough Collie and I live in a suburb of New York City

Physical Exam $55
HWT/Lyme/ EHR Snap $45
Total Body Function $125
Urinalysis $35
Giardia & Fecal Combo $30
Waste Disp Fee 3.00
DHPPC Annual Vaccine $25
Lyme Disease Annual $30
K9 Rabies Vaccine $25

Total 373.00

BTW he tested negative for Lyme last year at around this time and he
had an annual Lyme vaccine at that time as well. How could he have
contracted Lyme disease this year. Shouldn't the vaccine last year
have prevented that.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Old February 22nd 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I decided to called my vet to inquire about the cost of the meds. They
told me it was a mistake and it should have been $38 rather than $68.
They are going to credit me the $30. The price of $38 seems more
realistic considering the costs I found elsewhere. I expect some
markup by my vet. At least thats taken care of, though its a lesson
learned. Fill all prescriptions given by your vet using the online
retailers unless its a real emergency.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
I picked up a prescription
from my vet for Amoxicillin, an antibiotic. It is 60 capsules at 500
mgs each. It is to treat his just diagnosed Lyme disease and also a
urinary tract infection. Normally I fill most of my dogs prescriptions
with online sources but because I wanted to start him on treatment
ASAP I figured I'd let them fill it. It cost me $68.

.........I don't know if you can absolutely describe any online source as
reputable. You don't really know what you're getting. The fairest way to
compare prices is to see what a local pharmacy would charge.

DHPPC Annual Vaccine $25
Lyme Disease Annual $30
K9 Rabies Vaccine $25

.......Your vet vaccinated a dog that he diagnosed with Lyme disease with a
Lyme vaccine, a combo and rabies? And you let them? Vaccines should be
given to healthy dogs, period.

BTW he tested negative for Lyme last year at around this time and he
had an annual Lyme vaccine at that time as well.

.......what method did he use to determine your dog had Lyme disease?

Old February 23rd 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

wrote in news:1172182896.757218.210030
@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

I decided to called my vet to inquire about the cost of the meds. They
told me it was a mistake and it should have been $38 rather than $68.
They are going to credit me the $30. The price of $38 seems more
realistic considering the costs I found elsewhere. I expect some
markup by my vet. At least thats taken care of, though its a lesson
learned.

Hopefully the lesson learned is if you are unsure about something, go
back and clear up any miscommunication rather than just assuming you've
been cheated.

Fill all prescriptions given by your vet using the online
retailers unless its a real emergency.

I absolutely have to disagree with that.

My vet chooses to keep a supply of rarely needed, but lifesaving
medications that often expire before they are ever used. She orders and
keeps on hand meds that not only bring immediate comfort to suffering
animals, but meds that can, when administered right away, save a pet's
life in emergency situations. Many times, those meds go "bad" before
they are ever used, and she simply shrugs, throws them out, and orders
the next batch in order to insure that she has them on hand in case a
suffering or sick animal needs them....even though the high cost comes
right out of her own pocket when they remain unused.

I choose to look at the markup I pay as my way of contributing to her
keeping those meds stocked in her pharmacy for when (preferably IF) any
of my own pets ever need them for their survival. I figure that's worth
the extra 5 or 10 bucks every once in a while.

If your pet ever ends up needing emergency medication, and your vet
happens to have it on hand for use on your little guy, just know that
its availability was due to your vets other clients who were willing to
pay the markup that enabled your vet to keep that drug around. Keep that
in mind as you hold onto your own few bucks that those who don't do that
are indirectly helping your pets out by *not* doing the same thing.

Tara

Old February 23rd 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Fill all prescriptions given by your vet using the online
retailers unless its a real emergency.

I absolutely have to disagree with that.

In addition, Animal hospitals do not buy meds in the quantities that
pharmacies and internet pharmacies do. We have to purchase them from
veterinary pharmaceutical companies in the smaller batches, usually. We
don't get those big breaks based on quantity. If a prescribed med is
available at the local pharmacy we are more than happy to ro call it in for
a customer. Any face to face contact with the person dispensing the
medication is ideal. But when you purchase through the internet, you do not
have the ability to talk face to face with the pharmacist and ask questions.
If there is a problem with your meds you just can't go into any pharmacy or
animal hospital and ask what it is or get it fixed. You have to have it
taken care of by the dispensing pharmacy - through the mail. Many times,
after shipping fees are added to a prescription, their price equals ours or
may be more. In fact, flea prevention medications from these sources are
never bought from the manufacturer because they will only sell them to
veterinarians. That means they have to purchase them through disreputable
sources or buy them from overseas and relabel them which is a federal
offense. In fact, these internet pharmacies have been cought and prosecuted
for selling bogus flea preventives. Package sure looks the same but it isn't
what it says.

Beware, ask questions, ask to use your local pharmacy. But most of all, be
prepared to accept the consequences of your choices.

Old February 24th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
silvercelt

In UK, we don't charge clients for writting prescriptions for them to
get it online, that was a new law. The price in treatment is more
expensive in a vets but it is not a big difference like what you
had. By the time the companies add on p&p you are saving pence.

Old February 24th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

:

I decided to called my vet to inquire about the cost of the meds. They
told me it was a mistake and it should have been $38 rather than $68.
They are going to credit me the $30. The price of $38 seems more
realistic considering the costs I found elsewhere. I expect some
markup by my vet. At least thats taken care of, though its a lesson
learned.

Hopefully the lesson learned is if you are unsure about something, go
back and clear up any miscommunication rather than just assuming you've
been cheated.

Fill all prescriptions given by your vet using the online
retailers unless its a real emergency.

I absolutely have to disagree with that.

I do, too, but ...

My vet chooses to keep a supply of rarely needed, but lifesaving
medications that often expire before they are ever used.

OK. I'll bite.

Please to name a few, and perhaps what conditions they commonly
treat.

Al

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up.
The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up.
The monkey stumbled, mama.
The baboon fell.
The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!"
- from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Old February 26th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Feb 22, 3:55 pm, wrote:
[...]

Those prices are ridiculous, especially for one visit. You know you
can pick and choose. Heck, you can pick and choose your own health
care. When I went to the vet, I didn't do a stool sample or a complete
exam on my puppy as they recommended. She had worms, so I wormed her.
She looks healthy to me, so forget the exam. It cost me $35 for the 7
in 1 shot and a monthly worm pill. Vets are into marketing like almost
everyone else. I would probably call around and get prices ahead of
time. Vets understand this. Mostly, they will try and accomodate you,
realizing the only thing you have to do is rabies, and that is
sometimes free. dkw