Overcharged by my vet?

Old February 22nd 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Overcharged by my vet?

I cannot believe what I witnessed today. I picked up a prescription
from my vet for Amoxicillin, an antibiotic. It is 60 capsules at 500
mgs each. It is to treat his just diagnosed Lyme disease and also a
urinary tract infection. Normally I fill most of my dogs prescriptions
with online sources but because I wanted to start him on treatment
ASAP I figured I'd let them fill it. It cost me $68. I knew it would
likely cost me more than online but nearly as much as I have now found
out. After I got home I went online to compare and found that I can
get the same prescription from various reputable online sources from
anywhere from $9.95 for 100 capsules from kvvet.com to $21.60 for 60
caplets from 1800petmeds. Now I know and expect my vet to charge a
little more than the online suppliers but thats a ridiculous markup.
$10-21 vs $70 and the $10 gets me nearly double the supply. What do
you think I should do. Should I say something to my vet or simply let
it be a lesson learned never to let them fill my dogs prescriptions.

While I am at it, can I get some opinion on the charges for my dogs
recent visit that led up to this prescription. OH BTW he is a 11.5 yo
male Rough Collie and I live in a suburb of New York City

Physical Exam $55
HWT/Lyme/ EHR Snap $45
Total Body Function $125
Urinalysis $35
Giardia & Fecal Combo $30
Waste Disp Fee 3.00
DHPPC Annual Vaccine $25
Lyme Disease Annual $30
K9 Rabies Vaccine $25

Total 373.00

BTW he tested negative for Lyme last year at around this time and he
had an annual Lyme vaccine at that time as well. How could he have
contracted Lyme disease this year. Shouldn't the vaccine last year
have prevented that.

Thanks in advance,
Adam