my dog seems unhappy, and has problems with strangers

Old February 22nd 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
JMW

Default my dog seems unhappy, and has problems with strangers

I got my dog about 9 months ago, a 1.5 year old shepherd mix,
rescued. She went through a prison training program for 9 weeks and
came to me very well trained and with great house manners. She is a
wonderful dog.

But something about her demeanor isn't right. She loves to play and
will ask for it, but has never been affectionate toward me or anyone,
in any way. In fact, any petting or physical contact other than
playing, she seems uncomfortable, licking her lips, or looking away,
ears back. I do my best to shape her behavior with positive rewards.
I have never physically disciplined her beyond a tug on the leash, nor
have I yelled at her.

I'm pretty sure she's been through some kind of traumatic event,
because she's very scared of strangers, especially men. Anyone that
comes in the house, or near her outside the house, gets barked at.
Any move towards her and she runs away, barking her head off. Her hair
stands on end. She doesn't growl or try to bite, though. She has a
bad habit, when she's off leash in the woods, of going up behind a
jogger, sniffing their butt. If they turn around or react with a
"what is this dog going to do to me" kind of body language, she freaks
out, and scares the heck out of the poor jogger. But with anyone who
reacts with "oh, hi doggie", she is fine. On the leash she doesn't
bark at strangers, but she may cower or hide behind me if they get too
close.

Other dogs don't bother her at all, in fact, I've never seen a more
laid back dog (around other dogs).

So, what do I do about this? The biggest problems are a) she seems
unhappy, and b) she loves to run in the woods, but I feel like an
irresponsible dog owner when she scares other people with her
barking.

Seems like she needs some kind reassurance and confidence, but I don't
know what to try.

Old February 22nd 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 22 Feb 2007 12:54:14 -0800, "JMW"
wrote:

[...]
Other dogs don't bother her at all, in fact, I've never seen a more
laid back dog (around other dogs).

So, what do I do about this?

Keep up with the obedience training. It'll help her bond with you
even more.

And the just be there when she does need you.

The biggest problems are a) she seems
unhappy,

I think that's just your imagination. She's apparently not an
*outwardly* affectionate dog. The sooner you can except that, the
sooner you, just like the dog already has done, can move on.

She was probably poorly socialized when she was a young puppy. You
can't do anything about that. But you can have a lot to do with the
rest of her life - focus on that. You're doing a good job!

and b) she loves to run in the woods, but I feel like an
irresponsible dog owner when she scares other people with her
barking.

Then OBEDIENCE TRAIN her (yes, again!), so that she has a rock-solid
recall, under any and all distractions, and then just call her to you
whenever other people show up.

Until that day arrives, keep her on a leash.

She'll likely never become Lassie at this point. Can you accept her
just the way she is?

Seems like she needs some kind reassurance and confidence, but I don't
know what to try.

What she needs most is an owner who will provide her with all the
essentials, plus will also just let her be the dog that she is.

She sounds like a fine dog, one who can offer you years and years of
companionship and, yes, even affection, even if she doesn't always
show it.

Good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Obamination?
http://howardwasright.com/index.php/site/more/458/
The perfect island for Mel Shore!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070222/...en_island_dc_1
John Murtha: Capo di tutti capi!
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19531
Old February 23rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"JMW" wrote in message:

But something about her demeanor isn't right. She loves to play and
will ask for it, but has never been affectionate toward me or anyone,
in any way. In fact, any petting or physical contact other than
playing, she seems uncomfortable, licking her lips, or looking away,
ears back.

Your pup sounds a lot like my Khan. I could've and probably did write
something similar a few years ago. Not all dogs are crazy about physical
affection. Doesn't mean they don't love you, just that their approach is
more hands-off. And some dogs are not physically affectionate because they
don't really know how to interpret the cues that we humans are putting out.
Khan used to suffer getting pets for a few seconds, and then would walk away
if he could. All that only changed about 3 years later, after we got a
second dog. Now, he solicits affection and puts up with it more readily,
but he's definitely not a huggy-kissy kind of dog.

I'm pretty sure she's been through some kind of traumatic event,
because she's very scared of strangers, especially men.

There doesn't need to be any trauma involved. Improper socialization, or
lack thereof, could lead to just about the same results. Right now, her
perception is that men are scary. You need to work on changing that
perception. Do not force interactions on her that she's not ready for,
don't coddle her, and make sure that her encounters with humans are all
positive.

If they turn around or react with a
"what is this dog going to do to me" kind of body language, she freaks
out, and scares the heck out of the poor jogger. But with anyone who
reacts with "oh, hi doggie", she is fine.

Don't let her do that. That's not fair to the joggers. I would leash her
up if you see joggers approaching, so you can give them a wide berth, and
reward her for acting appropriately.

Other dogs don't bother her at all, in fact, I've never seen a more
laid back dog (around other dogs).

You can use this to your advantage, and that was the best means of
socialization for Khan. We went to the off-leash dog park 7 days a week.
In addition to play time and exercise, he also got to be around all these
scary humans without really noticing them, and having the control to get
away if he could. Over time, the humans became less and less scary, and he
became friends with a few. I won't say that he's all friendly towards
humans, because he's not, but he's learned to ignore them, make friends with
a few, and otherwise not be petrified of them.

Seems like she needs some kind reassurance and confidence, but I don't
know what to try.

Get into an obedience training class (or two or three). Training is good
for confidence building, and builds a bond of trust between you and your
dog. Never, ever coddle your dog when she's acting scared. That reinforces
her fears. Laugh it off if you can. You need to desensitize her to humans.
It's hard to explain, so I would suggest that you get Patricia McConnell's
little booklet, 'The Cautious Canine'. It was absolutely invaluable to me.

She's young, so remedial work may go quickly, but don't expect miracles.
Don't push her into things she's not ready for. If she regresses, go back a
few steps and start again.

Good luck. Khan is absolutely the best dog in the world. And he's been
more than worth all the effort that went into him.

Suja

Old February 23rd 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jolly Green Giant

But something about her demeanor isn't right. She loves to play and
will ask for it,

Be careful about this. Don't play with her every single time she
comes to you and wants to. You need to be the leader, here.

I'm pretty sure she's been through some kind of traumatic event,
because she's very scared of strangers, especially men.

When you deal with her, live only in the present. Don't think about
what she might have been thru in the past. She's forgotten all about
it. Don't have pity in your mind at all.

Anyone that
comes in the house, or near her outside the house, gets barked at.
Any move towards her and she runs away, barking her head off. Her hair
stands on end. She doesn't growl or try to bite, though. She has a
bad habit, when she's off leash in the woods, of going up behind a
jogger, sniffing their butt. If they turn around or react with a
"what is this dog going to do to me" kind of body language, she freaks
out, and scares the heck out of the poor jogger. But with anyone who
reacts with "oh, hi doggie", she is fine. On the leash she doesn't
bark at strangers, but she may cower or hide behind me if they get too
close.

Looks like she is taking on the role of pack leader in these
situations. You need to free her up to enjoy her environment on your
walks... by becoming the pack leader yourself.

If she barks at people who come near the house, it is mostly because
she thinks she is defending *her* house. You might be living in it,
too, but to her, you are just another member of her pack that she
needs to protect.

So, what do I do about this? The biggest problems are a) she seems
unhappy, and

You would be right. You need to take the leadership role. She will
then settle back into the follower role automatically and be much
happier.

b) she loves to run in the woods, but I feel like an
irresponsible dog owner when she scares other people with her
barking.

I'm glad you are sensitive to that, because, to be frank, it is
irresponsible. But also, you don't want to run into some old freak
who tries to sue you for no good reason when your pooch scares her to
death.

Seems like she needs some kind reassurance and confidence, but I don't
know what to try.

She needs to know that you are the leader, and that she can trust
you. If you have National Geographic Channel, check out the Dog
Whisperer, it can really help you become the pack leader. (an no, I
don't profit from recommending the show. I'm just a happy dog owner
because of it)

Old February 23rd 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Be careful about this. Don't play with her every single time she
comes to you and wants to. You need to be the leader, here.

^^^^^^

I used to say it was a matter of leadership but that's one
of those words (along with "aggression" and a couple of
others) that I'm going to have to retire because of its
abuse by meatheads. Yikes.

So, have you taken any classes? Read any books by someone
other than Cesar? Watched any trainers other than Cesar?
Have you given any thought whatsoever to how to tell the
difference between a dog being pushy or resistant and a dog
that's confused or that doesn't know what's being asked of
it?

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old February 23rd 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Jolly Green Giant wrote:

Looks like she is taking on the role of pack leader in these
situations. You need to free her up to enjoy her environment on your
walks... by becoming the pack leader yourself.

For disciples of St. Cesar, everything looks like a nail.

If she barks at people who come near the house, it is mostly because
she thinks she is defending *her* house. You might be living in it,
too, but to her, you are just another member of her pack that she
needs to protect.

Or, maybe, she's informing you, the "pack leader," that there's
something you should check out.

You would be right. You need to take the leadership role. She will
then settle back into the follower role automatically and be much
happier.

Would you care to define "the leadership role," and describe how one
might "take" it. TIA!

I'm glad you are sensitive to that, because, to be frank, it is
irresponsible. But also, you don't want to run into some old freak
who tries to sue you for no good reason when your pooch scares her to
death.

Yeah, only a woman would be scared of a large, barking dog.

She needs to know that you are the leader, and that she can trust
you. If you have National Geographic Channel, check out the Dog
Whisperer, it can really help you become the pack leader. (an no, I
don't profit from recommending the show. I'm just a happy dog owner
because of it)

To the OP: I would be *very* careful dealing with a potentially
fear aggressive dog. That's the sort of thing that really needs the
in person help from a good trainer or behaviorist, not a television
entertainer.

--
Shelly
Old February 23rd 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

On Feb 23, 3:45 pm, "Jolly Green Giant" wrote:

When you deal with her, live only in the present. Don't think about
what she might have been thru in the past. She's forgotten all about
it. Don't have pity in your mind at all.

Wha?? Don't think so. While one has to be careful to not attribute
*everything* that the dog does right now to what previously happened,
it doesn't mean that you can discount it all. While tshe may not
consciously remember it, it might have a very large impact on her
behaviour.

Marcel

Old February 23rd 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jolly Green Giant

To the OP: I would be *very* careful dealing with a potentially
fear aggressive dog.

I agree with Shelly totally!

Old February 23rd 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 23 Feb 2007 13:02:13 -0800, "Marcel Beaudoin"
wrote:

On Feb 23, 3:45 pm, "Jolly Green Giant" wrote:

When you deal with her, live only in the present. Don't think about
what she might have been thru in the past. She's forgotten all about
it. Don't have pity in your mind at all.

Wha?? Don't think so.

Why not, Marcel? Why dwell on what may or may not be in the dog's
past? How can one even know with any degree of certainty?

And what that does IMO, especially when one assumes the worse (abuse,
beatings, etc.), is to end up actually exacerbating the situation, by
coddling the dog, letting things go, etc, thereby actually REINFORCING
the "problem" behavior you don't really want.

It also makes the owner content to settle for less.

"Oh, poor baby, that's okay, you don't have to come when called,
you've been so abuuuuuused!"

Millan calls it "living in the moment."

And it's pretty good advice, if you ask me.

While one has to be careful to not attribute
*everything* that the dog does right now to what previously happened,
it doesn't mean that you can discount it all. While tshe may not
consciously remember it, it might have a very large impact on her
behaviour.

Doesn't really matter.

Treat the behavior.

Not the unknown.

Say a dog is gun-shy.

It doesn't really matter to me how he got that way.

I still have to get him over it, and that won't depend on whether his
shyness is genetic or environmental or whatever.

The treatment will be the same.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Don't mess with old farts!
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/22/D8NF5DGG1.html
Old February 23rd 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"Jolly Green Giant" wrote in
oups.com:

I agree with Shelly totally!

So why did you advise the OP to watch a television show? I'm still
baffled at how that might be helpful, under the circumstances. It
seems to me that when someone is having trouble of this sort with
their dog, to seek in person help is about the only responsible
sort of advice to give.

--
Shelly

The more he looked inside the more Piglet wasn't there.
-- A.A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner