neighbor harrassing us over dog

Old February 24th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default neighbor harrassing us over dog

To anyone who has been harassed by neighbors over barking dog.

We have been living at this condo since 2001. A man and his son, who
is in his twenties have inherited a condo opposite us last November.

Our first confrontation came last November, when a group of about 7
people were talking loudly outside our door. We ventured out to take
her outside, as there is a door opposite my place to go down stairs
and out. The young chap threatened to kick the dog a lhasa Apso, who
barked. I dared him to. I am close to 70. We later went down south for
a few months.

This past week, after we returned, he met my wife on the stairs
leading outside and said to my wife "You people have no respect for
residents". We have always got along with our neighbors.

When she told me that, I was in a mood to slit his throat or somewhere
in that vicinity. My wife is not well and has had numerous treatments
for a uncurable aneurysm.

She told me, "Its no good if you do something, that will put you in
prison for a few years".

My question to anyone who reads this letter, What would you do short
of some violent act? I woud appreciate a diplomatic solution. I have a
short fuse and not being able to fight at this age, I might take a
pair of pliers to his teeth.

Roger

Old February 25th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy

in thread ups.com:
whittled the following words:

[...]

Before going to jail, I would sell the condo. It sounds like living there
is not good for your health. I would also work on your dog's manners and
stop the barking.
Old February 25th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article . com,
wrote:
The young chap threatened to kick the dog a lhasa Apso, who
barked. I dared him to.

Way to put your dog in harm's way. Way to try to lower the
temperature and find a solution. Geeze.

It's not clear if your dog is barking or your neighbor is an
asshole or both. The absolutely first thing I'd do is find
out what your local law actually says about barking and
whatnot. There's a lot of variation from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction. I live in a very rural area and even here you
can get ticketed if your dog barks for more than 15 minutes
out of an hour. You might also want to check into what
would happen to your dog if it bit or even menaced someone.

You might also want to check into what the local law says
about harassment. If your neighbor us bugging you because
he simply doesn't like dogs you may have legal recourse,
yourself.

Barking is really, really annoying, and I'm a dog person.
When I've had people nearby who had a dog that barked
constantly I talked with them about it. They apologized and
made an effort to get it under control. It wasn't perfect
but they tried, and I thought that was great. If they'd
gotten up in my face about it I'd have called the sheriff.
There are ways you can respond to make things better and
there are ways you can respond to make things much, much
worse.

I have a
short fuse and not being able to fight at this age, I might take a
pair of pliers to his teeth.

For example ...

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old February 25th 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

On Feb 25, 9:57 am, wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger, I also have a problem with my neighbours over my three dogs.
They do tend to bark but only if there kids are hanging over my fence.
I have tried everything you could think of. I have tried to approach
them to try and work somethink out. They were not interested and i
have come to the conclusion that they are ignorant and not animal
lovers. So i let my three bark all they want now. My sister on the
other hand just moved to a new house and on her seceond night there
her neighbour complained about her dogs barking I was there when he
called me over to the fence and told me to shut the dogs up or he
would not be responsible for what he would do, I took this as a threat
and contacted the police. They came out and spoke to him but this
seemed to do nothing, so my sister booked her dogs in to be debarked.
It is somethink i would only do as last resort and it is not to
everyones liking. As for your neighbour I don't know what you can do
but to hope he gets hit by a bus?

Old February 26th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

My dog does not bark when left alone. He marks when somebody suddenly
appears in front of him, like a door of an elevator opening. She barks
sometimes when she gets out to let people know she is there or at
people she senses that dislike her. Rarely at small children.

This particular neighbor has a dislike for dogs.

Roger

Old February 26th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Tara

wrote in news:1172459699.114331.161640
@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

My dog does not bark when left alone. He marks when somebody suddenly
appears in front of him, like a door of an elevator opening. She barks
sometimes when she gets out to let people know she is there or at
people she senses that dislike her. Rarely at small children.

Basically you're saying that your dog barks aggressively at anything that
startles or scares her. Not good. I'd have a major problem with that
myself.

This particular neighbor has a dislike for dogs.

I'm not a fan of people that let their dogs bark aggressively at anything
they feel like either.

Rather than get defensive and become threatening yourself, why not just
work on this behavior and stop allowing your dog to decide who she's going
to threaten with her barking?

You're lumping it all on this guy's lap (and yeah, it sounds like he's a
real winner too), when your own lack of leadership and training is creating
the situation in the first place.

The fact that you had to say that your dog barks "rarely at small
children" is a red flag, IMO. That means she definitely *does*....and
you're relying on the fact that she doesn't choose to do this often as your
defence. Poor judgement on your part.

Tara
Old March 9th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Darryl

On Feb 24, 5:17 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
Barking is really, really annoying, and I'm adogperson.
When I've had people nearby who had adogthat barked
constantly I talked with them about it. They apologized and
made an effort to get it under control. It wasn't perfect
but they tried, and I thought that was great. If they'd
gotten up in my face about it I'd have called the sheriff.

That would be nice. In my case, my neighbor called the sheriff
repeatedly before talking to me about it, and again after I was
working to correct it & had made concessions to his demands, and then
again after we had made even more concessions. Harassed my very-
pregnant wife to the point of tears. Hinted that something bad would
happen to them when I wasn't around.

It especially frustrating when you have 2 dogs who bark maybe 3
minutes at a time, maybe 8 times a day, on a 2-acre lot, at actual
targets (deer, pedestrians). It's not what I would hope for, or my
final goal, but it isn't bad. Having originated from a close-lot
neighborhood where other dogs barked all the time, all day and night,
at imaginary things, I don't feel like my dogs are being "graded on a
curve". I've even polled my other neighbors and can't find anyone
else who will agree that there's a problem with my dogs. Where I grew
up, calling the cops was a last resort, not the first.

We used to chat all the time over the fence last year; his wife told
my wife he's "high-strung" and not to take him too seriously (wish
she'd tell the sheriff that). Now I don't plan to talk or even look
at the guy when he's outside. Our son was born 2 weeks ago; I'm a
little curious who my neighbor intends to call in a few years when he
starts playing outside & making noise.

Old March 10th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Puistonen

Darryl wrote:
[...]

Are your dogs outside by themselves when this happens? Sounds like they need
to be inside more of the time. Or, if you want to leave them outside and
unsupervised, you should have room to put a good-sized fenced dog run (with
a dog house) somewhere and screen it with plantings and/or buildings/privacy
fence so that the dogs do not see the street or the neighbors, and vice
versa. That would probably cut down on the barking significantly.

Old March 11th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
judith reichwein

I would document each incident and call the police or sheriff's
department.
judi

Old March 11th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
meteore

On Mar 10, 11:10 pm, (judith reichwein) wrote:
I would document each incident and call the police or sheriff's
department.
judi

I recently approached the gentleman at the mail box and asked him if I
could have a few words with him. He did not want to talk.. I mentioned
his son was rude to my wife the other day, when she was exiting the
back entrance of building, as dogs are not allowed on main floors.

he said do not talk to me again, if you see me.

Do I have any legal recourse with this matter, so I "can put it to
bed".

In summary, these people do not like dogs.

Roger