new dog jealous of toddler

Old February 26th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default new dog jealous of toddler

I have a 2 yr old human. I got a 3 yr old abused aussie mix las Aug.
The human was here first. Dog is jealous of toddler. I keep reading I
should re home her. I've looked into behaviourist and they want TONS
of money. Even to be boarded there. But who knows what they will do to
her there. AND they don't even know if it will work.

Old February 26th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 26 Feb 2007 09:57:05 -0800, wrote:

[...]
I keep reading I should re home her.

And I promise not to break that string!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old February 26th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

She's gotten VERY attached to me. And she might snap at my child. She
was sitting next to me and my child came up and was touching her, and
next thing I know, she barked and my child is crying holding her head.
I think it scared her mostly. Because I picked her up, gave her a
kiss, and she was fine.

I've been working with a pet psychic, if you believe or not, she seems
really good and real. But she kept saying over and over be carefull. I
believe her because I know how my doggie is. If I'm on the floor
playing with child, Doggie comes and tries to push her out of way.

If there is an easier way to do it than boarding her up there, where I
can learn something and do it at home I will. But can a dog's jealousy
change? She's greatly attached to me, and is jealous of child. Even
tho child was here first.

I love my doggie, so I want to help her. She's been abused in her 1st
home. She was yelled at supposedly. And she freaks out when you
approach her, or try to pick her up. When my child approaches her
she's fine because she is small. She can approach us fine, it's just
us approaching her.

When you say I don't have enough info, what info do you need? She's an
aussie mix, 4 yrs old. spayed, Had her for 6 months.

Old February 26th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article .com,
wrote:

She's gotten VERY attached to me. And she might snap at my child.

Has she or hasn't she? If you can't answer that, it's not a good sign.

She
was sitting next to me and my child came up and was touching her, and
next thing I know, she barked and my child is crying holding her head.
I think it scared her mostly. Because I picked her up, gave her a
kiss, and she was fine.

The child, right? What did you do with the dog?

I've been working with a pet psychic, if you believe or not, she seems
really good and real. But she kept saying over and over be carefull. I
believe her because I know how my doggie is. If I'm on the floor
playing with child, Doggie comes and tries to push her out of way.

Don't allow that. And egads - a pet psychic. You're paying money for a
fruit and nut bar, but won't spend it on actual expertise?

If there is an easier way to do it than boarding her up there, where I
can learn something and do it at home I will. But can a dog's jealousy
change? She's greatly attached to me, and is jealous of child. Even
tho child was here first.

Training is an amazing thing. Have you done ANY?

I love my doggie, so I want to help her. She's been abused in her 1st
home. She was yelled at supposedly.

Ok, you don't really KNOW what went on in her first home, do you? You
aren't alone in assuming there was abuse, but pretty often, that was
just not the case.

And she freaks out when you
approach her, or try to pick her up. When my child approaches her
she's fine because she is small. She can approach us fine, it's just
us approaching her.

What does she do and why are you picking her up?

When you say I don't have enough info, what info do you need? She's an
aussie mix, 4 yrs old. spayed, Had her for 6 months.

More info as in - what training have you done, what exactly does she do
with your child, you, etc And what you've attempted to do about it.
Besides seeing Madame Marie.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

On Feb 26, 1:16 pm, wrote:
She's gotten VERY attached to me. And she might snap at my child.

This is just my opinion as someone with a 2 year-old daughter as well
as a dog. In my view, you have three choices. You can either get
training for the dog, get rid of the dog, or let your dog bite your
daughter. If you don't do one of the first two, the third *will*
happen. Training the dog won't give you a guarantee that your daughter
won't get bitten, but it will greatly decrease the chance of a bite
happeneing.

She
was sitting next to me and my child came up and was touching her, and
next thing I know, she barked and my child is crying holding her head.
I think it scared her mostly. Because I picked her up, gave her a
kiss, and she was fine.

I've been working with a pet psychic, if you believe or not, she seems
really good and real. But she kept saying over and over be carefull. I
believe her because I know how my doggie is. If I'm on the floor
playing with child, Doggie comes and tries to push her out of way.

Like Janet said, don't let that happen. While Moogli has displayed
some attitude towards Emilie, it was explained to him in no uncertain
terms that such actions Were Not Allowed.

As for the Pet Psychic, there is a simpsons episode that comes to
mind. Did she recommend lots of toys, a new bed and special food that
she just happened to have for sale??

If there is an easier way to do it than boarding her up there, where I
can learn something and do it at home I will. But can a dog's jealousy
change? She's greatly attached to me, and is jealous of child. Even
tho child was here first.

Training. Lots and lots of training.

I love my doggie, so I want to help her. She's been abused in her 1st
home. She was yelled at supposedly. And she freaks out when you
approach her, or try to pick her up. When my child approaches her
she's fine because she is small. She can approach us fine, it's just
us approaching her.

When you say I don't have enough info, what info do you need? She's an
aussie mix, 4 yrs old. spayed, Had her for 6 months.

I also question whether or not you are actually having this problem or
whether you are simply trolling this group.

Marcel

Old February 26th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

wrote:
She's gotten VERY attached to me. And she might snap at my child.

Has she or hasn't she? If you can't answer that, it's not a good sign.

she has a lil bit, like if she was stepped on, but not because she was
gettting attention

She
was sitting next to me and my child came up and was touching her, and
next thing I know, she barked and my child is crying holding her head.
I think it scared her mostly. Because I picked her up, gave her a
kiss, and she was fine.

The child, right? What did you do with the dog?

I thought child must have stepped on her, or was provoked. I did
nothing. I wasn't thinking about her at the time, I was thinking of
child.

I've been working with a pet psychic, if you believe or not, she seems
really good and real. But she kept saying over and over be carefull. I
believe her because I know how my doggie is. If I'm on the floor
playing with child, Doggie comes and tries to push her out of way.

Don't allow that. And egads - a pet psychic. You're paying money for a
fruit and nut bar, but won't spend it on actual expertise?

Just a one time fee of $30, free readings from then on. I've seen "
psychics " charge hundreds. And she's been recommended by my pet forum
by numerous of posters.

If there is an easier way to do it than boarding her up there, where I
can learn something and do it at home I will. But can a dog's jealousy
change? She's greatly attached to me, and is jealous of child. Even
tho child was here first.

Training is an amazing thing. Have you done ANY?

did with my last dog, and it did wonders. Although I couldn't get his
dominance under control. He is now in a more active family. With
current dog, I've tried a lil bit. But she seems like she could care
less. She's VERY stubborn. I'll have to try harder. I was trying to
use the N.I.L.F. program.

I love my doggie, so I want to help her. She's been abused in her 1st
home. She was yelled at supposedly.

Ok, you don't really KNOW what went on in her first home, do you? You
aren't alone in assuming there was abuse, but pretty often, that was
just not the case.

Ok I don't really know for sure, but even the evaluator behaviourist
could tell that she was.

And she freaks out when you
approach her, or try to pick her up. When my child approaches her
she's fine because she is small. She can approach us fine, it's just
us approaching her.

What does she do and why are you picking her up?

pick her up to give her bath, put in car ect.
She gets low to ground, pees, yelps like I'm hurting her, tries to
nip. I've taken her to vet had her x rayed and she's fine. Had
urinalisis and is good there too.

Old February 26th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
wrote:

she has a lil bit, like if she was stepped on, but not because she was
gettting attention

Why is she getting stepped on?

I thought child must have stepped on her, or was provoked. I did
nothing. I wasn't thinking about her at the time, I was thinking of
child.

But didn't think to tell the dog that what she did was wrong?

Training is an amazing thing. Have you done ANY?

did with my last dog, and it did wonders. Although I couldn't get his
dominance under control. He is now in a more active family. With
current dog, I've tried a lil bit. But she seems like she could care
less. She's VERY stubborn. I'll have to try harder. I was trying to
use the N.I.L.F. program.

So you've already dumped one dog you've failed with. Great. And a
group let you have a new one. Wonderful. Obedience CLASSES (yes, they
cost money) will actually show you what to do, since you clearly aren't
aware of training techniques that are successful. NILIF is wonderful,
but is only a small part of TRAINING.

Ok I don't really know for sure, but even the evaluator behaviourist
could tell that she was.

What evaluator behaviorist? And what could s/he tell specifically?

pick her up to give her bath, put in car ect.
She gets low to ground, pees, yelps like I'm hurting her, tries to
nip. I've taken her to vet had her x rayed and she's fine. Had
urinalisis and is good there too.

I'd say you're not taking a very good approach. Once again - IN PERSON
HELP can change that. Get it now or rehome the dog. Nothing less will
do.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 26th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

""""""As for the Pet Psychic, there is a simpsons episode that comes
mind. Did she recommend lots of toys, a new bed and special food that
she just happened to have for sale??
""""""""""

nope not at all. She said that she is very stubborn (true) very
attached to me and no one else in family (true ) She just knew things
that I don't think anyone would just make up. Unless she's very good
at telling how the dog is like if the dog has one beavhiour than every
dog is same way about other things... she hasn't tried to sell me
anything. just $30 one time, and free future readings. She looks at a
pic, and call you on phone.

she knows that my husband is very mellow and quiet., I'venever
mentioned him to her. and other things

She won't eat her kibble untill night when she knows no one will give
her scraps. I can walk with her off leash,

and no, I'm not trolling..

Old February 26th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 26 Feb 2007 10:16:31 -0800, wrote:

I've been working with a pet psychic

Is that you, Mikey?