Incontinence

Old February 27th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Philip Meech

Default Incontinence

My 14 year old Australian Cattle dog is peeing on the floor 5-6 times per
week. We can't figure out whether he gets ticked off when he has to
split the table scraps with our other dog or whether he is aging and
losing some bladder control.
Is there a lab test and some meds that help older dogs with this
problem? How do we figure out whether it is psychological or health related?
Old February 27th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shadow Walker

Have you changed their food. You really shouldn't feed dogs especially
puppies and older dogs table scraps. If it's plain meat with no seasoning
then no problem but most people season their stuff. If you have changed
their food they may be getting to much protein. too much protean in a dogs
diet will make them loose control or there bladders and do damage to the
kidneys.

The vet is the only way to really know whats going on weather its an
infection or protein overload.

news:[email protected]

Old February 27th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Shadow Walker wrote:
If you have changed
their food they may be getting to much protein. too much protean in a dogs
diet will make them loose control or there bladders and do damage to the
kidneys.

Uh, no. It used to be believed that large amounts of
protein can cause kidney problems in older dogs but that's
been discredited, as has the notion that protein should be
restricted in dogs with renal problems. That protein will
cause them to "loose control or there bladders" is just
wacky. And besides, if someone's feeding table scraps it's
not likely that the dog is getting enormous amounts of
protein, anyway.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old February 27th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
silvercelt

Has he started drinking alot too? I'm thinking in terms of possible
diabeties, but take a sample to the vets and they can do a test to
check glu, ketone levels etc. and go from there.