Pit Bull Show

Old February 26th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
hehasmyheart57

Default Pit Bull Show

Do you or anyone you know own a pit bull? Help fight Breed Specific
Legislation while having fun at the Volunteer State Bulldogger
Association show and pull. Our upcoming show is Saturday, 2007 in
Milton, Tennessee!! We will have all the fun classes as well as all
regular conformation classes. For directions or more information check
out our website at www.vsbulldoggerassoc.com Also add us at www.myspace.com/vsba
Help spread the word, please forward and cross post.

Old February 26th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On 26 Feb 2007 11:08:11 -0800, "hehasmyheart57"
wrote:

Do you or anyone you know own a pit bull? Help fight Breed Specific
Legislation while having fun at the Volunteer State Bulldogger
Association show and pull. Our upcoming show is Saturday, 2007 in
Milton, Tennessee!! We will have all the fun classes as well as all
regular conformation classes. For directions or more information check
out our website at www.vsbulldoggerassoc.com Also add us at www.myspace.com/vsba
Help spread the word, please forward and cross post.

There are about 52 Saturdays in 2007. Did you have a particular Saturday
in mind? If you really want "to spread word," provide the information,
rather than make people go search for it.

I visited your web site and liked it a lot. I found the show dates; the
two I checked fall on a Saturday: 3-3-07 and 4-14-07.

The composition by Marty Cross ends with this line "It is our job to
make sure that the American Pit bull Terrier does not continue to become
a VICTIM OF SOCIETY." The more time I spend around PBT, the more I
admire them, and the more I agree with Cross. To that end, it is vital
to put your best foot forward, always, for the sake of the breed.

I see that there are "hang time" competitions at your shows. To me, that
seems diametrically opposed to your apparent stand against dog fighting.
After all, isn't hang time training a technique for fighters?

Best wishes with the upcoming show: Saturday, March 03, 2007.

_________________________
If you don't have a dream,
how are you going to have a dream come true?
- Oscar Hammerstein II
Old February 27th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
hehasmyheart57

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a WORKING breed. To many people put
these dogs on chains and they never get the chance to be socialized or
to work as desired. Hang time competitions do not condone dog
fighting. They are a safe, fun, and legal sport these dogs can compete
in instead of being left on their chain un-socialized. Your bring up
the point that hang time is used by dog fighters, collars and leashes
are used by dog fighter as well should we not use these. A lot of
people who attend our shows including myself use these conditioning
tools such as treadmills, and spring poles (hang time) to get our dogs
in the best of shape to compete in the show ring, weight pull, tug-of-
war, hang time, and treadmills races. These dogs are also widely used
in hog hunting, another legal outlet for these dogs. I hope this helps
you understand, and hopefully you will get the chance to witness these
dogs work in these competitions, It truly is amazing.
David

Old February 27th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

My understanding of hang time competitions is that they are a sport
based on the spring pole. Something many bullies love to do. I don't
see why supporting a sport which many of the breed enjoy on their own
is an issue, even if the same game is used by dog fighters for
conditioning.

Nick

Old February 27th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On 27 Feb 2007 04:14:58 -0800, "hehasmyheart57"
wrote:

[...]

As a volunteer, I see plenty of PBT at the animal shelter; they are the
cream of the crop. The remainder is never seen by the public--most of
them have lived their short life at the end of a chain, and have
received close to zero care. We both know how that goes.

I bought the "Off the Chain" DVD, which opened my eyes even more.

My response was only suggesting that you put more punch in your
marketing of this very important concept: "PBT are a good breed--come
see for yourself!," and to express my opinion that you really need to
explain these hang-time events, so that you are not misunderstood.

[Some] collars and leashes are accepted by the public because they have
a basic understanding of what a collar and leash is for. It is different
for hang-time training. Most people have no idea of what that's about.
Other people see it as training for evil. A few PBT devotees see it only
as training for fun competition. That is the purpose people, especially
new comers, should take with them. Anything less defeats your goals.
Correct?

Believe it or not, some folks believe it is dangerous to play tug o'war
with powerful dogs. It trains them to not let go, or some such nonsense.

Who sets the rules and sees that thing don't get out of hand, etc.?
VSBA?

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old February 27th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On 27 Feb 2007 07:09:26 -0800,
"
wrote:

On Feb 26, 4:51 pm, Michael A. Ball wrote:...

I see that there are "hang time" competitions at your shows. To me, that
seems diametrically opposed to your apparent stand against dog fighting.
After all, isn't hang time training a technique for fighters?...

My understanding of hang time competitions is that they are a sport
based on the spring pole. Something many bullies love to do. I don't
see why supporting a sport which many of the breed enjoy on their own
is an issue, even if the same game is used by dog fighters for
conditioning.

This sort of competition is new to me, and I'm certain much of the
public is equally unfamiliar with it. However, a few people have seen
and/or heard about the dark side of hang-time training. Many of those
people don't realize that PBT actually enjoy it (and I believe other
dogs enjoy it, too.)

A person once said, "You have to avoid, not only evil, but also the
appearance of evil. These competitors need to make certain that new
comers realize that the hang-time games are totally unrelated to the
training methods used by fighters, even though they appear to be the
same thing.

_______________________________
"Some people learn something new
every day, others just get 24 hours older."
Old February 27th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Michael A. Ball wrote:

I see that there are "hang time" competitions at your shows. To me, that
seems diametrically opposed to your apparent stand against dog fighting.
After all, isn't hang time training a technique for fighters?

Any activity that conditions and strengthens a dog is a "technique
for fighters." For example, canine treadmills. They obviously are
useful outside the dog fighting world, but they are identified with
"dog fighting" and have even been banned in some jurisdictions.

--
Shelly
Old February 27th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Michael A. Ball wrote:

A person once said, "You have to avoid, not only evil, but also the
appearance of evil.

I think you mean "Some translations of the Bible say..."

--
Shelly
Old February 27th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Feb 27, 11:42 am, Shelly wrote:
Michael A. Ball wrote:
I see that there are "hang time" competitions at your shows. To me, that
seems diametrically opposed to your apparent stand against dog fighting.
After all, isn't hang time training a technique for fighters?

Any activity that conditions and strengthens a dog is a "technique
for fighters." For example, canine treadmills. They obviously are
useful outside the dog fighting world, but they are identified with
"dog fighting" and have even been banned in some jurisdictions.

--
Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

I can't own either a canine treadmill or a breaking stick for my bully
mix, I don't believe they are outright banned, but if A.C. ever comes
a knocking they consider them as sufficient evidence of dog fighting.
We do have a big dog fighting problem in my county though, not my
specific area, but since Animal Control is operated by the county, the
same rules apply.

Nick

Old February 27th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:51:58 GMT, Shelly wrote:

Michael A. Ball wrote:

A person once said, "You have to avoid, not only evil, but also the
appearance of evil.

I think you mean "Some translations of the Bible say..."

I had no idea it was a biblical notion; so, no, it was a person: Mike
Foster, one my former residence hall directors.

I'm going to look for that passage. At first, it made little sense to,
but it makes a lot of sense now.

Whatever it takes.