Mr. Chicken

Old February 28th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Default Mr. Chicken

I stopped to pick up dog food last night, on my way home from work.
I hadn't been in Petco before, so I wandered around and looked at
their toys and treats and whatnot. I got Harriet one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Hose-Sque.../dp/B0009YHRRQ

which lasted about two minutes. I also got her this

http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1705
http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1706
http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1704

which amused *me* enough that I've already gotten my money's worth
of entertainment value from it. I haven't given it to Harriet yet,
but will report back, when I do. The manufacturer claims it is
"heavy duty," but I have my doubts. Those delectable little
drumsticks are just begging to be chewed off.

Also:

http://cat-sidh.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1707

--
Shelly
Old February 28th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

The manufacturer claims it is
"heavy duty," but I have my doubts. Those delectable little
drumsticks are just begging to be chewed off.

Rudy would have that thing dismembered in a flash. Appendages are just
not allowed on toys.

OTOH, all of the dogs love these:

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Puzzl...F6/sr=1-32/qid
=1172670625/ref=sr_1_32/102-3927841-9178533?ie=UTF8&m=AQNNCQOPF4SX1&s=hom
e-garden

OTOh, after they've been chewed on a bit, they REALLY hurt when they
touch bare legs.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 28th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Janet Boss wrote:

Rudy would have that thing dismembered in a flash.

Harriet, too, I'm sure. On the other hand, the six-legged Octopus
lasted for a long time before it got a hole in it, and even then,
she never chewed off the legs. On the other other hand, the little
nubs on her puffer fish woobie were immediately attacked.

Appendages are just not allowed on toys.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it. She doesn't get these sorts of
chewies except when supervised.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Puzzl...F6/sr=1-32/qid
=1172670625/ref=sr_1_32/102-3927841-9178533?ie=UTF8&m=AQNNCQOPF4SX1&s=hom
e-garden

I've had Nylabone products splinter, and that scares the hell out of me.

By the way, you can take off everything from ref= on, to shorten the
URL. That second half of the link is *your* referer information.

OTOh, after they've been chewed on a bit, they REALLY hurt when they
touch bare legs.

That, too!

--
Shelly
Old February 28th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

I've had Nylabone products splinter, and that scares the hell out of me.

By the way, you can take off everything from ref= on, to shorten the
URL. That second half of the link is *your* referer information.

Thanks (I'm not very savvy about that stuff!). I've been lucky with
Nylabone products - never a problem. It may have something to do with
the TYPE of chewers my dogs have been. The only things I've had
splinter are real (cooked - commercial product) bones and cow hooves.
Needless to say, those aren't given.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 28th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Janet Boss wrote:

Thanks (I'm not very savvy about that stuff!).

Not to worry--you are not alone!

I've been lucky with Nylabone products - never a problem. It may
have something to do with the TYPE of chewers my dogs have been.

Absolutely. Harriet is a fearsome chewer. I was talking to my mom on
the phone the other day, and Harriet was lying on the couch, next to
me, chewing a bone. My mom asked me what on earth that racket was.

The only things I've had splinter are real (cooked - commercial
product) bones and cow hooves. Needless to say, those aren't
given.

Cow hooves are splintery, in my experience. And stinky. I steer
clear of them.

I'm careful with bones, but have had very good luck with heavy duty
marrow bones--the long ones, not cross sectioned ones. You can see a
couple of them in the toy box photo. She's had those particular
bones for, literally, about five years. I get them in the bulk
section and am careful to search for ones with thick walls. Then, I
watch like a hawk until I know the bone is sturdy.

--
Shelly
Old February 28th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

I stopped to pick up dog food last night, on my way home from work. I
hadn't been in Petco before, so I wandered around and looked at their toys
and treats and whatnot. I got Harriet one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Hose-Sque.../dp/B0009YHRRQ

which lasted about two minutes.

Tell the company you were not happy with the product and the damage that was
done. They have a guarantee and will give you refund or exchange. When I
had to do that, they sent 2 toys back to me, not just one. Pretty great
company!

Old February 28th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

MauiJNP wrote:

Tell the company you were not happy with the product and the damage that was
done. They have a guarantee and will give you refund or exchange. When I
had to do that, they sent 2 toys back to me, not just one. Pretty great
company!

I don't think the toy was defective in any way. Harriet is just a
super aggressive chewer. I bought it assuming it'd be destroyed
quickly.

--
Shelly
Old March 1st 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Ooooh Ms Brown's toy box looks really fun. I know two boy dogs that
would love to vist her (and her toys). Love that Chicken Butt!!!!
I just made my first and last trip to Petco. I know Pet stuff is high
dollar everywhere. It is quite the industry. I bought some ear wash,
cat food, food for the pond, two toys, shampoo and 100.00 plus dollars
later I was outta there....I find Petsmart to be less expensive but
still high dollar. Oh well it is fun to splurge once in awhile.
Thanks for the pics....

Be Free.....Judy

Old March 1st 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Darla Vladschyk

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:51:47 -0500, Shelly
wrote:

... Harriet is just a
super aggressive chewer. I bought it assuming it'd be destroyed
quickly.

Does Harriet get *pressed* rawhide bones? What about Cuz balls (large
size) and street hockey balls? My two Jacks are ferocious chewers,
and those things hold up the best.

We don't give them the Cuz balls until we are going out, because the
squeakers make our ears bleed.

Darla
Nova Scotia, Canada
--
"I'm still here, you *******s!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/
Old March 1st 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Darla Vladschyk wrote:

What about Cuz balls (large
size) and street hockey balls? My two Jacks are ferocious chewers,
and those things hold up the best.

We don't give them the Cuz balls until we are going out, because the
squeakers make our ears bleed.

The street hockey ball was punctured in about 3 minutes here. The Cuz
balls have not been tried - they have legs!

--
Janet Boss