Is my dog having a seizure?

Old February 28th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Holly's Mom

Default Is my dog having a seizure?

My 6-year old Australian Cattle Dog experiences episodes of what I
can
only describe as "chattering chin" or lower jaw. Her chin/jaw will
sort of "vibrate" for anywhere from 10-30 seconds. During these
episodes she seems perfectly normal otherwise. We've started watching
her when this happens and no other body part seems to be involved.
Sometimes we'll observe this 2 days in a row, then not for weeks.
When
I described it to the vet, he said it sounded like a seizure, but I
don't think so. Anyone ever heard of this?
Thank you,

Old February 28th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

"Holly's Mom" wrote in message
ups.com...
My 6-year old Australian Cattle Dog experiences episodes of what I
can
only describe as "chattering chin" or lower jaw. Her chin/jaw will
sort of "vibrate" for anywhere from 10-30 seconds. During these
episodes she seems perfectly normal otherwise. We've started watching
her when this happens and no other body part seems to be involved.
Sometimes we'll observe this 2 days in a row, then not for weeks.
When
I described it to the vet, he said it sounded like a seizure, but I
don't think so. Anyone ever heard of this?
Thank you,

Is she awake when this happens, or lying down and sleeping? My dog does
something similar, but when she is asleep, and dreaming perhaps.

Old February 28th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread : "Bellsouth Ijit
2.0" whittled the following words:

"Holly's Mom" wrote in message
ups.com...
My 6-year old Australian Cattle Dog experiences episodes of what I
can
only describe as "chattering chin" or lower jaw. Her chin/jaw will
sort of "vibrate" for anywhere from 10-30 seconds. During these
episodes she seems perfectly normal otherwise. We've started watching
her when this happens and no other body part seems to be involved.
Sometimes we'll observe this 2 days in a row, then not for weeks.
When
I described it to the vet, he said it sounded like a seizure, but I
don't think so. Anyone ever heard of this?
Thank you,

Is she awake when this happens, or lying down and sleeping? My dog does
something similar, but when she is asleep, and dreaming perhaps.

I've had plenty of dogs chatter, just their bottom jaw (usually when
excited or they wanted something.) No siezures, perfectly normal and
healthy, not to mention charming.
Old February 28th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
Is she awake when this happens, or lying down and sleeping? My dog does
something similar, but when she is asleep, and dreaming perhaps.

It may well not be seizures, but it's not unreasonable to
think that it could be. It's different from sleep twitches.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 1st 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On 1 Mar 2007 00:13:23 GMT, Rocky wrote:

diddy said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I've had plenty of dogs chatter, just their bottom jaw
(usually when excited or they wanted something.) No
siezures, perfectly normal and healthy, not to mention
charming.

Rocky's had focal seizures which look just like what the poster
described.

It can be that, certainly. But I've had greyhounds whose teeth/jaws
chatter, usually from excitement also, and it was harmless.

Nice to see you back, Matt. (Sheesh, I still try to type "Matty".)

Mustang Sally

Old March 1st 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:

sighthounds & siberians said in

Nice to see you back, Matt. (Sheesh, I still try to type
"Matty".)

Thank you.

What she said. We missed you! I'm glad you're back.
Old March 1st 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:

Robin Nuttall said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

What she said. We missed you! I'm glad you're back.

Thank you, also. Only one brag while I was on a break -
Friday's ATCh was had on a very nice team relay.
http://www.rocky-dog.com/FridayATCh.html

Huge, huge congrats!!!