brothers and sisters, i bid you beware

Old March 1st 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

Default brothers and sisters, i bid you beware

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:21:29 -0500, elegy
wrote:

of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

i don't remember what the last update i posted on homer was and i'm
too tired and flat-out drained to go back and look.

he saw the vet yesterday and wigged out and tried to hurt him. i spent
half an hour on the phone with a behaviorist who was recommended both
by my trainer and whom we recommend at work. she felt his prognosis
was pretty grim and that he's dangerous. most of what she does is work
with aggressive dogs. the only thing he has on his side in this is
that he's on the small side. everything else about his biting is
seriously bad news.

i worked a half day today and spent the rest of it spoiling him,
snuggling him, feeding him cookies and mcdonalds french fries.
everytime he moves his head quickly i jump, in case he's planning on
biting me.

tomorrow morning i'll hold him close and whisper in his ear how much i
love him and how sorry i am that his life was what it was, and send
him on to a better place.

and then i'll cry some more.

i feel like i've been crying for two solid days.

Elegy,

I've been where you're at with rescue dogs, a very similar situation
to yours with one dog, and it sucks. I hope you truly realize that
you're the good guy here; you didn't make Homer what he is. That
doesn't make it any easier, I know. But hopefully the knowledge that
you made his last weeks happy ones will give you some peace.

I'm so sorry.

Mustang Sally

Old March 1st 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:35:51 -0500, elegy
wrote:

long ago and far away, sighthounds & siberians did say:

Elegy,

I've been where you're at with rescue dogs, a very similar situation
to yours with one dog, and it sucks. I hope you truly realize that
you're the good guy here; you didn't make Homer what he is. That
doesn't make it any easier, I know. But hopefully the knowledge that
you made his last weeks happy ones will give you some peace.

I'm so sorry.

mostly i feel intense sadness, tinged with some anger and a heaping of
disappointment. it's amazing how attached you can get to a dog in such
a short time. i hope he understands that he is loved, that he is
valued. i know he understands how fabulous french fries and dog beds
are.

Heh. One of the advantages of being a dog and living in the moment.
I'm sure that he knows you care for him. And yes, these devious dogs
can get us helplessly hooked in no time.

Mustang Sally

Old March 1st 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

On Feb 28, 8:35 pm, elegy wrote:

mostly i feel intense sadness, tinged with some anger and a heaping of
disappointment. it's amazing how attached you can get to a dog in such
a short time. i hope he understands that he is loved, that he is
valued. i know he understands how fabulous french fries and dog beds
are.

There is no way that he doesn't know that he is loved.

It is an easy thing for me to say, but know that you are doing the
right thing, for the both of you.

Marcel