My Dog is Panting, Shivering, and seems nervouse!?

Old March 2nd 07, 12:58 AM
abomb55076 abomb55076 is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy My Dog is Panting, Shivering, and seems nervouse!?

We went to a wedding for the weekend and had some people watch our dog while we were gone and when we came back, he seemed fine but later that night, he started to shiver and hid in the closet. Now everyday since, it has been about 4 days, always as night approaches, he begins to pant and shake again. He also goes and hides in the closet still and he sits by the door shaking and panting wanting to go into the garage but he seems fine in the car as well...... Please help, the vets cant seem to find out what is wrong with him and just keep giving us drugs but he can possibly last much longer going on like this.....
Old March 2nd 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

Default My Dog is Panting, Shivering, and seems nervouse!?

Obviously something happened to him while he was there. Dogs don't act this
way for no reason he's scared for some reason. I think I would talk to who
ever was watching him and try to get the the bottom of what happened while
he was there.

Have you tried letting a light on I don't know how much it might help but
it's worth a shot.

Celeste

--
abomb55076

Old March 2nd 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"abomb55076" wrote in message
he started to shiver and hid in the closet. Now everyday since,
it has been about 4 days, always as night approaches, he begins to pant
and shake again. He also goes and hides in the closet still and he sits
by the door shaking and panting

the vets cant seem to
find out what is wrong with him and just keep giving us drugs but he
can possibly last much longer going on like this.....

........How old is your dog? If the vet did not run bloodwork, do that
today! If the bloodwork shows nothing unusual ask about an ACTH stimulation
test for Addison's disease. You have to rule out the physical in situations
like this. Panting and shaking can be physical symptoms, not just
emotional.

Old March 2nd 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Deckard

On Mar 1, 7:58 pm, abomb55076 wrote:
We went to a wedding for the weekend and had some people watch our dog
while we were gone and when we came back, he seemed fine but later that
night, he started to shiver and hid in the closet. Now everyday since,
it has been about 4 days, always as night approaches, he begins to pant
and shake again. He also goes and hides in the closet still and he sits
by the door shaking and panting wanting to go into the garage but he
seems fine in the car as well...... Please help, the vets cant seem to
find out what is wrong with him and just keep giving us drugs but he
can possibly last much longer going on like this.....

--
abomb55076

This happened to my guy, turns out he ate a sock and was shivering
uncontrollably every night, for some reason only at night, and a week
later the sock passed and he was right as rain.

Old March 2nd 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

abomb55076 wrote in
:

We went to a wedding for the weekend and had some people watch our dog
while we were gone and when we came back, he seemed fine but later

that
night, he started to shiver and hid in the closet. Now everyday since,
it has been about 4 days, always as night approaches, he begins to

pant
and shake again. He also goes and hides in the closet still and he

sits
by the door shaking and panting wanting to go into the garage but he
seems fine in the car as well...... Please help, the vets cant seem to
find out what is wrong with him and just keep giving us drugs but he
can possibly last much longer going on like this.....

After *thoroughly* ruling out possible physical reasons for this new
behavior, I'd look into possible stressors.

While I'm totally precaffeinated after a (finally!) long and drowsy
making night of catching up on sleep (so take this with a grain of "she
could be talking out of her ass"), my first thought was to wonder if
your dog was really stressed having you gone, and then ended up
generalizing that stress to nighttime. Sometimes, when I have a client's
dog here, it takes a while for them to adjust. The going to sleep ritual
is usually the hardest for them, since that's often a comforting routine
that is changed under the new circumstances.

Honestly, though, I've never see it have this extreme an impact on a
dog, but it might at least bo worth asking your housesitters (or
boarders, if you went that route) if he seemed stressed out with the new
situation. Don't get blamey, or they likely will just tell you that he
was fine. Just ask as a point of reference for ways you can help him
through future visits and you're more likely to get an honest appraisal
of his comfort level.

He sounds either in pain, or extremely stressed by something though. I
hope you're able to find out what it is.

Tara
Old March 3rd 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread : abomb55076
whittled the following words:

buglady Wrote:
[...]

Hey I was looking at the symptoms of that addisons disease and I was
woundering, how fast do you think it can approach though, he seemed
m=normal when we dropped him off but then hes got these problems when
we pick him up.

stress brings on addisons attacks.My addisonian dog needed increased
medications that we adjusted upwards when we anticipated that she was going
to be in a stressful situation
Old March 3rd 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
silvercelt

I would find out what the heck they did to your dog, the ones that
looked after him. Something must have to have made his behaviour
change like that. Know drugs is going to help in this case.

Old March 3rd 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"abomb55076" wrote in message
Hey I was looking at the symptoms of that addisons disease and I was
woundering, how fast do you think it can approach though, he seemed
m=normal when we dropped him off but then hes got these problems when
we pick him up.

.....I had an Addisonian that almost died in a crisis. A friend had a dog
that didn't seem to have any symptoms that she noticed, boarded her, she
went in to crisis and died. Symptoms of Addison's are sometimes so vague
you may not have noticed them. You have to make sure it's not physical
before you can move on to anything else.

Old March 3rd 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

"buglady" wrote in news:BceGh.8612$Jl.1732
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"abomb55076" wrote in message
Hey I was looking at the symptoms of that addisons disease and I was
woundering, how fast do you think it can approach though, he seemed
m=normal when we dropped him off but then hes got these problems when
we pick him up.

....I had an Addisonian that almost died in a crisis. A friend had a dog
that didn't seem to have any symptoms that she noticed, boarded her, she
went in to crisis and died. Symptoms of Addison's are sometimes so vague
you may not have noticed them. You have to make sure it's not physical
before you can move on to anything else.

This is fascinating. I've never had reason to look up this disease (never
known a dog who had this), but I'm sure going to make a point of it now.

Tara