Adventures in Dog Sitting - Part Ii

Old March 3rd 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Adventures in Dog Sitting - Part Ii

We watched Luna, Khan's buddy from the dog park for a few days last week.
On Saturday, we decided to take the crew out for a looong hike, and in my
infinite wisdom, I decided that I can do 10.5 miles (previous record was 8).
Here are a few lessons learned.

Even if there is no significant amount of ice and snow anywhere else in the
entire park, there will be substantial amounts of the glazed over stuff, and
only on the trail you picked.

No matter how lovely the guest dog is, they're never trained in the right
things or to your satisfaction. While I did teach guest dog to walk fine on
a loose leash, I couldn't get her to quite figure out that she must slow to
a crawl when the human hits ice (there were points where Rajesh crossed the
ice patch first so I could let her go and he could catch her). Khan OTOH
does lovely with 'Easy', and Pan, the wonderful dog that she is, keeps close
tabs without being a pest while off-leash and therefore didn't figure into
the equation.

I am not too proud to cross said icy terrain on all 4s or on my butt if it
is necessary.

Places where the ice is gone, would be green goo that sucks your feet in.

Parts that are not green goo would be red goo that sucks your feet in.

If the instructions on your trail map say one thing and you're seeing
something else, you've gone wrong somewhere.

Yes, that place where you went wrong could be the only place on the trail
where there was a huge sign saying 'North Valley Trail --', when it
should've said 'North Valley Trail ----' and you really wanted to go in
the complete opposite direction.

It is possible to do 11.5 miles on a 10.5 mile trail.

If you bathe one dog today and then do a hike tomorrow, it's guaranteed that
you'll end up having to bathe all 3 dogs afterwards.

Doing one long hike leads to 3 practically dead dogs and 2 practically dead
humans. The dogs at least didn't want to move, didn't want to go out to pee
or go for another walk for another 24 hours.

In short, a good time was had by all. Y'all should try it some time.

Thanks to my new shoe insert, my feet did really well until about the 10
mile mark, and I was able to at least hobble the following day.

Suja