Which bones are safe which are not?

Old March 4th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Which bones are safe which are not?

Hello

Someone keeps giving us lamb bones to give to out dog. I was just
going to ask are lamb bone save then I though I would make it more
general. So, which bones are safe which are not? I know chicken bones
are not.

Old March 4th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone keeps giving us lamb bones to give to out dog. I was just
going to ask are lamb bone save then I though I would make it more
general. So, which bones are safe which are not? I know chicken bones
are not.

Are the bones cooked or raw?

Old March 5th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Justin Wilson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello

Someone keeps giving us lamb bones to give to out dog. I was just
going to ask are lamb bone save then I though I would make it more
general. So, which bones are safe which are not? I know chicken bones
are not.

What kind o dog?
btw I KNOW some bones are bad and some are not. If and how much they are
COOKED can sometimes be the determining factor. I've had labs eat
two-by-fours and cooked turkey carcasses with nothing but a burp. But, you
ought to still be wary.

Old March 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Hello

Thanks for the replies.

Yes cooked bones and the breed of my dog is a collie lurcher cross.

Old March 5th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Yes cooked bones and the breed of my dog is a collie lurcher cross.

Never feed cooked bones to a dog as they can splinter.

Old March 5th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Sharon Too" wrote in message
Yes cooked bones and the breed of my dog is a collie lurcher cross.

Never feed cooked bones to a dog as they can splinter.

......Chicken bones yah can splinter, the danger with some of the other ones
is that they can get caught in the throat if they're too small or if the dog
eats too much they'll get plugged up. So I'll ditto no cooked bones.

So you can turn down your neighbor's leftover bones. I had a neighbor once
who tossed chop bones out in the backyard for the squirrels. The squirrels
would migrate over to my yard and drop them out of the sky so I was always
patrolling for fallen bones.

Old March 5th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

So you can turn down your neighbor's leftover bones. I had a neighbor
once
who tossed chop bones out in the backyard for the squirrels. The
squirrels
would migrate over to my yard and drop them out of the sky so I was always
patrolling for fallen bones.

As kids we used to leave plastic spoons of peanut butter at the base of the
trees. Squirrels raced them back of the tree and had a great meal. Then it
rained spoons!

Old March 7th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tay Tay

On Mar 4, 1:32 pm, wrote:
Hello

Someone keeps giving us lamb bones to give to out dog. I was just
going to ask are lamb bone save then I though I would make it more
general. So, which bones are safe which are not? I know chicken bones
are not.

my vet says the only safe bone, is the "dentabone"

Old March 7th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thanks everyone for the comments. I think we'll stick to the bones
from the pet shop. I have never seen one of those splinter. I wonder
if they steam them. As to the person giving us the cooked lamb bone,
he's my GF's ex husband, so I'll enjoy telling him to stop it!

Thank all.

Raw bones for my dog? Kayla Dog health 5 December 19th 08 12:35 PM
bones streetjockey Dog health 1 January 8th 07 12:20 PM
Is it Safe to Give Puppy Bones? mike Dog health 10 December 19th 06 02:56 PM
Bones shelly Dog behavior 8 December 9th 05 01:36 PM
Bones John Bennett Dog behavior 7 March 2nd 05 07:08 PM