My Rottie/lab mix cut open the pad on her right front paw...HELPME..!!

Old March 5th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default My Rottie/lab mix cut open the pad on her right front paw...HELPME..!!

My puppy Georgie cut her right paw pad open it is about 1/3"deep and
it is at least 3/8" across it is her middle pad..! it is bleeding
pretty bad but has slowed in the last 10 min or so.. i am not shur
what to do about it but she's not really favoring it but she is well
twitching her paw if you know what i mean...? I'm really worried about
her i rinsed it off with some cool water but i dont know what else i
should do i i should take her to the vet or if i should just let her
lick it and let nature take its coarse with this..!?? But i think she
cut it on part of a beer bottle while i was walking her at the park...
i found the glass and it looks like she cut it on that but i don't
really know what to do about it..?!? ANY ADVISE !!???

Thanks to any one who can help,
Deziray

Old March 5th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
White Monkey

My puppy Georgie cut her right paw pad open it is about 1/3"deep and
it is at least 3/8" across it is her middle pad..! it is bleeding
pretty bad but has slowed in the last 10 min or so.. i am not shur
what to do about it but she's not really favoring it but she is well
twitching her paw if you know what i mean...? I'm really worried about
her i rinsed it off with some cool water but i dont know what else i
should do i i should take her to the vet or if i should just let her
lick it and let nature take its coarse with this..!?? But i think she
cut it on part of a beer bottle while i was walking her at the park...
i found the glass and it looks like she cut it on that but i don't
really know what to do about it..?!? ANY ADVISE !!???
Thanks to any one who can help,
Deziray

I would take her to the vet. I have experience assisting vets and I still
sometimes have trouble getting a cut pad like that to heal properly; they
keep walking on it, dirt gets in, it keeps taking pressure from the body
weight, etc. My dog is also a large breed and steps on glass now and then in
the park, and in my experience these cuts can start out seeming simple but
get infected even a fair bit later, causing worse problems all of a sudden.
On the face of it it wouldn't be very serious anywhere else but in the
bottom of the foot it can be trouble without an expert wrapping it up and
giving you advice specific to your dog.
Hope that helps,
Katrina