potty training woes...at ages 1.5 and 2 years!

Old March 5th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Anna[_2_]

Default potty training woes...at ages 1.5 and 2 years!

I have a 1.5-yr-old Papillon (Zorro) and a 2-yr-old Pomeranian (Taz).
I got Zorro from a breeder at 3 months. I rescued Taz when he was 1.5
years old. Both of them are still having major issues with potty
training, especially urinating where they shouldn't. Just last night,
Zorro was laying on my boyfriend in bed while I was working at the
computer. All of a sudden, my boyfriend said "I think he's peeing on
me!" Sure enough, Zorro had peed the entire contents of his bladder
onto my poor boyfriend. He just lay there like nothing had happened.
So I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, rubbed his nose in it, and
told him NO, then put him in his crate all night. What do you think
could cause him to just pee like that with no warning? And did I
punish him correctly? I am so tired of the two of them peeing and
pooping whenever and wherever they please. This has happened a few
times before, when one of them had somehow peed on the back of the
couch and also on our heads one morning in bed. I give them plenty of
time outside (we have a fenced in yard), but it's like they save some
for the house. Help! Help!

Thanks.
Anna

Old March 5th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
"Anna" wrote:

Sure enough, Zorro had peed the entire contents of his bladder
onto my poor boyfriend. He just lay there like nothing had happened.
So I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, rubbed his nose in it, and
told him NO, then put him in his crate all night. What do you think
could cause him to just pee like that with no warning?

A bladder problem.

And did I
punish him correctly?

No. First of all, you can't correct peeing that the dog can't control.
Second, rubbing his nose in it makes no sense at all.

I am so tired of the two of them peeing and
pooping whenever and wherever they please. This has happened a few
times before, when one of them had somehow peed on the back of the
couch and also on our heads one morning in bed. I give them plenty of
time outside (we have a fenced in yard), but it's like they save some
for the house. Help! Help!

Are you outside WITH them? Making SURE they go? PRAISING them for
going in the right spot? Taking them out regularly? Scheduling their
feedings? Watching them like hawks and not allowing mistakes to happen?
Thought about the fact that ONE puppy wasn't housebroken before you
acquired another dog?

Housetraining takes consistency, effort, appropriate confinement,
supervision, and scheduling.

--
Janet Boss
Old March 6th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

"Anna" wrote in message
ups.com...

So I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, rubbed his nose in it, and
told him NO, then put him in his crate all night.

Congratulations. You're on the way to teaching your dog not to rub his nose
in his pee.

Probably not what you intended...

flick 100785

Old March 6th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Janet Boss wrote:
In article . com,
"Anna" wrote:

Sure enough, Zorro had peed the entire contents of his bladder
onto my poor boyfriend. He just lay there like nothing had happened.
So I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, rubbed his nose in it, and
told him NO, then put him in his crate all night. What do you think
could cause him to just pee like that with no warning?

A bladder problem.

Get the dog checked by a vet. Save some time and on the morning
of the appointment, collect a urine sample in a clean container
and bring it with you to the vet. The vet may also want to draw
urine directly from the dog's bladder, if an infection is suspected.

[...]

And you should clean up anywhere they have urinated with an
enzymatic cleaner that removes the residual odor of the urine.
You may not be able to smell it with a soap-and-water clean-up,
but your dogs can. And they are more likely to urinate where
they can smell urine.

Make sure you follow Janet's suggestions; removing the odor is
just one small piece.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old March 6th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

removing the odor is
just one small piece.

But an important one! Somehow I always seem to give the owners the
credit to have done THAT right, but I should know better.

BTW - it doesn't have to be an infection to be a bladder problem. Rudy
is urinary incontinent. Meds take care of it. Flooding urine without
even noticing or having warning, is a big sign of that being a
possibility.

--
Janet Boss
Old March 6th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
But an important one! Somehow I always seem to give the owners the
credit to have done THAT right, but I should know better.

To be fair, it's frequently not that easy. Urine soaks into
stuff and can be invisible, depending on the surface. I
think that most people don't know to use a black light or
about the existence of enzyme cleaners.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 6th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I think you're right. Mattresses and wall-to-wall carpet are probably
the hardest things to deal with. No w-t-w and a waterproof cover for
all mattresses, is something I can't imagine being without!

I don't have either. It mostly hasn't been an issue since
Greta died (she was extremely leaky), although except for
Saber the new dogs haven't been housetrained when they
arrived and there have been a few deliberates.

I don't like laminate flooring - I don't like the way it
looks, even though its toughness is really appealing. But
last weekend I went into one of the local flooring places
and they had some newer laminates that have beveled edges,
longer planks, and don't look quite so fake. So now I'm
making plans to get rid of the last of the downstairs
wall-to-wall, which is still stained from poor old Greta.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 6th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

(Melinda Shore) wrote in news:esjp1u$bck$1
@panix2.panix.com:

I don't like laminate flooring - I don't like the way it
looks, even though its toughness is really appealing. But
last weekend I went into one of the local flooring places
and they had some newer laminates that have beveled edges,
longer planks, and don't look quite so fake. So now I'm
making plans to get rid of the last of the downstairs
wall-to-wall, which is still stained from poor old Greta.

That's the kind that I have. My place is soooo tiny that whatever flooring
I had put in was going to dominate the room, and I'd seen too many
laminates that looked...well, plastic-y. The wider and longer planks,
combined with the beveled edges were what finally sold me. I had been
looking to have Laminate installed for years (real wood wasn't an option on
my sub floor), and finally did it a year ago. The upsiide, I love the look
and its super easy to clean (except for the beveled parts....but I just
call the dirt that gets trapped in the beveling "natural enhancement").

The down side, the sound. One thing that is hard hard hard to get used to
is animal nails making hollow click-clicking sounds on the floor *every
single time* they walk acroos the room. Doesn't matter how short the nails
are cut, either. The floors exaggerate and hollow out the sound of *any*
piece of their nails that touches the floor.

I'm totally used to it now, but I have to say, it took 6 months....and that
was with only 1....then 2....cats. Thanksfully, but the time I got Miss
Busy Bee Annie, I was already more or less immune, or her constant tip
tapping around would have driven me nuts.

Tara

Puppy Potty Woes Jerry Dog behavior 6 June 8th 06 12:12 AM
Potty Training/Crate Training MoneyB Dog behavior 2 September 21st 05 06:13 PM
Potty Training the Already Potty Trained Eternity Dog behavior 3 August 14th 05 10:46 PM
dog potty training David Ananas Dog behavior 0 October 6th 03 04:07 PM
dog potty training David Ananas Dog behavior 0 October 6th 03 04:07 PM