Competing with a Deaf dog

Old March 6th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Competing with a Deaf dog

Someone I know has a deaf and sight impaired Dane that she'd like to do
stuff with beyond just basic obedience. I know that AKC does not allow such
dogs in either obedience or Rally-O. Are there any venues that would allow
this?

Are there any activities that these two can engage in? I am not sure just
how bad her vision is, so don't know if agility is completely ruled out or
not.

Suja

Old March 6th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:11:18 GMT, "Suja" wrote:

Someone I know has a deaf and sight impaired Dane that she'd like to
do stuff with beyond just basic obedience. I know that AKC does not
allow such dogs in either obedience or Rally-O. Are there any venues
that would allow this?

Are there any activities that these two can engage in? I am not sure
just how bad her vision is, so don't know if agility is completely
ruled out or not.

Maybe they could try a beginner agility class and see how it goes? I would
think the risk of injury would be fairly high, though, depending on just
how badly her vision is impaired. And doesn't agility rely a lot on voice
commands from the handler? Even so, maybe there are things that can be
done to accomodate her so they can get out there and have FUN.

--
Lynne
Old March 6th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

"Suja" wrote in
:

"Lynne" wrote in message:

Maybe they could try a beginner agility class and see how it goes? I

would
think the risk of injury would be fairly high, though, depending on
just how badly her vision is impaired. And doesn't agility rely a
lot on voice commands from the handler? Even so, maybe there are
things that can be done to accomodate her so they can get out there
and have FUN.

I think that's why she wanted to do obedience. And compete, so they'd
have a goal to work towards. It totally stinks that the opportunity
doesn't seem to exist.

With a lack of those two senses, I'm thinking

Tracking

It would at least seriously develop her relationship to that sense, and
might give her a real sense of accomplishment in that area. I know nothing
about that, though, so hopefully diddy can chime in and let us know if I'm
completely off base with this suggestion.

Tara
Old March 6th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:45:45 GMT, "Suja" wrote:

I think that's why she wanted to do obedience. And compete, so they'd
have a goal to work towards. It totally stinks that the opportunity
doesn't seem to exist.

It may, but I imagine she'll have to break some new ground. I'd recommend
that they start with an Agility trainer who is willing to work with a
special needs dog. The trainer we have now is very much into Agility with
her dogs and you can see the excitement on her face when people show an
interest in taking her Agility class (we might!). I would like to think
someone like that would love the challenge of helping a deaf/blind dog
explore her potential.

--
Lynne
Old March 6th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:25:11 GMT, Tara wrote:

With a lack of those two senses, I'm thinking

Tracking

Ooooh, that sounds promising to my inexperienced ears!

Old March 6th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

Maybe they could try a beginner agility class and see how it goes?

Last time I checked rules, the AKC also prohibits deaf dogs from agility
competition.
NADAC and USDAA, however, do not.

Old March 7th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Becky

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Someone I know has a deaf and sight impaired Dane that she'd like to do
stuff with beyond just basic obedience. I know that AKC does not allow such
dogs in either obedience or Rally-O. Are there any venues that would allow
this?

Are there any activities that these two can engage in? I am not sure just
how bad her vision is, so don't know if agility is completely ruled out or
not.

APDT Rally is something to look into: http://www.apdt.com/po/rally/default.aspx

Carting is another option, but I am unsure what venues to suggest for
competition. I believe Jana, who used to post here, carted and competed
with her blind Collie, Bonnie. Maybe try the CKC or Saint club?

Best regards,

Becky
--

"If people tell you their dogs have never produced a defect, their dogs
have probably produced only one litter, they don't follow up on their

deaf dog Tracy Doyle Dog behavior 12 December 30th 03 06:52 AM
deaf dog jdy Dog behavior 0 December 29th 03 05:22 PM
deaf dog jdy Dog behavior 0 December 29th 03 05:22 PM
deaf dog jdy Dog behavior 0 December 29th 03 05:22 PM
deaf dog Skippi Dog activities 2 September 29th 03 12:13 PM