pommy with dry hacking cough

Old March 12th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Docsheg

Default pommy with dry hacking cough

adopted a nine year old pomeranian with really bad teeth and gums. She
had 12 teeth removed and for the past 10 days has had a non productive
dry hacking cough. took her back to vet and they prescribed more
antibiotics and guaifenesin, which don't seem to work. I think when
they put the trach tube down her throat they injured something.
anyone else out there with this experience

Old March 12th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
grinder

"Docsheg" wrote in message
ups.com...
adopted a nine year old pomeranian with really bad teeth and gums. She
had 12 teeth removed and for the past 10 days has had a non productive
dry hacking cough. took her back to vet and they prescribed more
antibiotics and guaifenesin, which don't seem to work. I think when
they put the trach tube down her throat they injured something.
anyone else out there with this experience

Kennel cough or an enlarged heart will also cause a dry cough. Have them
listen to see if there is a heart murmur.

Old March 12th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Docsheg" wrote in message
ups.com...
adopted a nine year old pomeranian with really bad teeth and gums. She
had 12 teeth removed and for the past 10 days has had a non productive
dry hacking cough. took her back to vet and they prescribed more
antibiotics and guaifenesin, which don't seem to work. I think when
they put the trach tube down her throat they injured something.
anyone else out there with this experience

......How long have you had the dog?

Old March 13th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Puddin' Man

On 12 Mar 2007 10:18:59 -0700, "Docsheg" wrote:

adopted a nine year old pomeranian with really bad teeth and gums. She
had 12 teeth removed and for the past 10 days has had a non productive
dry hacking cough. took her back to vet and they prescribed more
antibiotics and guaifenesin, which don't seem to work. I think when
they put the trach tube down her throat they injured something.
anyone else out there with this experience

What and how are you feeding? Is it eating and
drinking normally?

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Old March 13th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Docsheg

On Mar 12, 10:59 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 10:18:59 -0700, "Docsheg" wrote:

adopted a nine year old pomeranian with really bad teeth and gums. She
had 12 teeth removed and for the past 10 days has had a non productive
dry hacking cough. took her back to vet and they prescribed more
antibiotics and guaifenesin, which don't seem to work. I think when
they put the trach tube down her throat they injured something.
anyone else out there with this experience

What and how are you feeding? Is it eating and
drinking normally?

Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Thanks to all the responses, I've had Chippy for about two months now,
as I said earlier her teeth had to be pulled, really bad breath ,teeth
and gums were green and on her first visit to the vet to get her
caught up on her shots, I had no history on the dog, it was determined
that her teeth were rotten, removed twelve, only has 6 left now. She
is eating mighty dog lamb and rice, drinks regularly. Besides getting
her rabies and distemper they also gave her something for kennel
cough. My other dog, when he got his kennel cough spray developed a
cough right afterwards but went away. Chippy is a sweet heart and only
want the best for her, she appears to have been neglected judging by
the condition of her teeth and gums. The dry hacking cough is
irritating to us as it must be to her also. Just trying to find a
solution. She'll go back to the vet here shortly if it doesn't let up,
of course when she went the last time she wasn't having one of her
episodes so they couldn't hear it.

Old March 14th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Docsheg" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had Chippy for about two months now,

........OK, I was thinking she maybe came with kennel cough, but if you've
had her that long without coughing, that's not it.

The dry hacking cough is
irritating to us as it must be to her also. Just trying to find a
solution. She'll go back to the vet here shortly if it doesn't let up,
of course when she went the last time she wasn't having one of her
episodes so they couldn't hear it.

.....It may be because of being tubed but this shouldn't persist for more
than a couple of days:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...nine_spay.html
Sometimes a cough is noted for a couple of days after surgery. This may have
been caused by the tube in the throat. Such coughs only last a couple of
days; anything that persists longer should be re-evaluated.

It could also be tracheal collapse. Best get your pup in to the vet for an
evaluation:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body..._collapse.html

And thank you for taking in this pup and giving her a new life!