Bichons??

Old March 12th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Bichons??

Okay, anybody have any experience with them? I tend to group them with
miniature poodles. Is that fair? (To either the poodles or the bichons?)

My brother and his wife lost their golden to stomach cancer last fall and
this past weekend, after much deliberation, brought home a 3 year old Bichon
Frise. I had encouraged them to get an adult dog - already house-broken,
already used to being left alone all day while people go to work, already
leash-trained (which was a requirement since my SIL has a bad back and can't
handle a big dog pulling her around the neighborhood).

An acquaintance of theirs just had a baby so, of course, had to find homes
for their three dogs. (Apparently when you get a human baby, the dogs have
to leave. Silly me - I never knew that before.) Their stupidity on many
accounts but perhaps a good thing for my brother and his wife.

So, after only a couple of days, all seems to be going well. They have a
cat which the dog likes better than the cat likes the dog. They'll work it
out. (Or the cat will run away, which is what my brother is hoping for.)
They're looking into whatever products are out there for tear stains. (I
sent them to www.petedge.com) There will, of course, eventually be a
grooming issue. My general suggestion is to go with a puppy clip - which is
usually the same length all over, is it not?

They are giving the dog a new name - didn't like his old one at all. They
were going to try to come up with something similar until I pointed out that
if he had come from a shelter they wouldn't have known his old name and he
would have learned a new one. They report that as long as they give him a
treat for coming that he doesn't care what they call him. So he'll learn
his new name soon.

The dog is reportedly very sweet, very well-behaved and quite a snuggler. I
think it's just what they need.

I have warned them that there may be a honeymoon period while the dog
settles in and that they then may see a personality change a month or so
from now. (They're psychologists so this makes sense to them.) They are
keeping him blocked in the kitchen initially during the day when he's home
alone (which is from two to six hours at a time right now but will get
longer.) Eventually, they expect to be able to give him the run of the
house when they're gone. He was trustworthy at his last home.

Anything else that I need to pass on for their consideration?

Thanks,
Judy

Old March 12th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"montana wildhack" wrote in message
My neighbor looks after quite a few of them and I haven't met one that had
any problems whatsoever.

That's a good thing to know.

I did some research on their health - and most of what shows up is pretty
much what I would expect. It would be nice if the dog had come from a
responsible breeder who had screened for a lot of the stuff but it doesn't
seem likely that's what happened. The fact that the people are giving him
away because they had a baby means that their breeder didn't exactly screen
buyers well.

Since they just went through stomach cancer with their golden (which takes
way too long to diagnose and is not pleasant to watch your dog go through),
I'm really hoping that they have some healthy years with this dog.

And I'm always a little suspicious of breeds that don't *do* anything. I
mean, "lap dog" is a job description and you would *think* it would
translate to a good disposition but I'm never sure. And they are all too
often bred by people who wouldn't fit my description of responsible.

I know, I know. I have what some people think of as yappy, fussy little
dogs. But I don't think of them that way.

Most of the Bichons I've met have been sturdy, pretty little dogs.

That's kind of what I'm thinking they can expect. The historical research I
did said that they are related to poodles but WAY back and that in the
meantime where the poodle kept getting used as a water retriever, the bichon
became a lap dog.

I've never felt the coat but I'm expecting it to be poodle-y. A poodle with
a short nose and less drive. (I don't see many bichons doing agility.)

They loved their golden. But SIL has a back problem and finally had to give
up walking the golden because he never learned to walk nicely on a leash and
her back couldn't take the pulling. They had been thinking they wanted
something like a small golden - maybe 30-40 pounds - and better trained.
(Like *that* would happen magically.) She did some walking with our
schnauzers and thought something like that would be a good thing. They're
not real big on yapping little dogs (but seeing ours they know it can be
controlled - and after all, they put up with a golden's neediness!) and they
weren't too concerned about hair (again, used to a golden). Grooming costs
weren't an issue - finding time to take the dog is more of a problem!

Then when brother got hurt this winter, while SIL was waiting around during
one of his surgeries she met a therapy dog. I can't remember now what the
dog was - could have been a bichon - but it was little and cuddly and
quietly sat in her lap just when she needed that a whole lot. She
discovered that Snuggly has a very high value.

They both work - she has normal 40 a week hours and he has (when he is fully
healed again) something closer to 60. One son is away at college and one
son is living at home and in college. So a dog is going to get left alone
sometimes for longer periods than mine are but not unreasonable amounts for
the average family. When someone is home, they are very willing - eager
even - to have a dog on the couch with them. And they almost always can
schedule a trip home during the day if it's necessary. And SIL would love
to be able to walk around their neighborhood - and a dog is a great reason
to get outside and moving.

So I knew a dog was doable for them but didn't think it should be a puppy.
And they didn't have any need for a puppy. Well, son living at home does
but since he could move out at any time, his vote didn't count much. I
think as long as he has a happy dog to greet him when he comes in the door,
NO messes to clean up, a dog willing to learn a few simple tricks to amuse
him and to nap with him the rest of the time, he'll be happy with the
bichon.

Mostly, I'm asking for my brother - who is probably in your school of
thought. A bichon is not exactly what he thinks of when he thinks "dog" but
if it makes SIL happy, he'll be happy with any friendly happy little dog.

And I can't wait for the schnauzers to meet him! THAT should be
interesting.

Thanks,
Judy

Old March 13th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"montana wildhack" wrote in message
I don't think "snuggly" was high on our priority list until Bella raised
the bar, but I don't know too many men who don't value that particular
charm.

Before the schnauzers - before the previous schnauzer - we had only had
hunting dogs. Beagles, coonhounds, labs. When we found ourselves dogless
one winter I announced that I wanted a schnauzer. And DH's now
long-remembered comment was "What are they good for?"

Hector won him over in no time. When he died, we had to be dogless for over
two years because it was just too painful to contemplate going through the
loss again. All the dogs we had lost over the years weren't halfway as
painful as that one.

And now we have Spenser and Sassy.

I'm not sure we have a specific answer to his question but he has definitely
quit asking it.

Judy

Old March 13th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

So, after only a couple of days, all seems to be going well. They have a
cat which the dog likes better than the cat likes the dog. They'll work
it out. (Or the cat will run away, which is what my brother is hoping
for.) They're looking into whatever products are out there for tear
stains.

clean with soap and water daily or use hydrogen peroxide daily (or as much
as they can but not more than once daily)

also heard *great* things about this product but never used it

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/index.htm

(I sent them to www.petedge.com) There will, of course, eventually be a
grooming issue. My general suggestion is to go with a puppy clip - which
is usually the same length all over, is it not?

Basically this is what I do with my dogs. I have poodles and hate the half
shaved/half puffy look. I keep them long or short depending on the weather
and my moods but always one lenght. I groom them myself so I do it when I
want to, have time or it needs to be done.

They are giving the dog a new name - didn't like his old one at all. They
were going to try to come up with something similar until I pointed out
that if he had come from a shelter they wouldn't have known his old name
and he would have learned a new one. They report that as long as they
give him a treat for coming that he doesn't care what they call him. So
he'll learn his new name soon.

sounds good, let us know what they come up with, and pictures wouldn't hurt
either

The dog is reportedly very sweet, very well-behaved and quite a snuggler.

sounds like a good dog!

They are keeping him blocked in the kitchen initially during the day when
he's home alone (which is from two to six hours at a time right now but
will get longer.)

longer than 6 hours? how much longer? do they have a dog walker or
something set up?

Old March 13th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

Well, they are frou-frou,

any dog would seem fru-fru with the silly haircuts people put on some
poodles, bichons and other small dogs.

but that snuggly thing is the word that everybody uses.

My neighbor looks after quite a few of them and I haven't met one that had
any problems whatsoever. Yeah, the tear stains are a pain and the frequent
grooming isn't something I'd like, but they got added to my "dogs I like
but am too embarrassed to own" list.

does this list include poodles too?

Old March 13th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
clean with soap and water daily or use hydrogen peroxide daily (or as much
as they can but not more than once daily)

also heard *great* things about this product but never used it

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/index.htm

Thanks. I will send this info on to them.

They are keeping him blocked in the kitchen initially during the day when
he's home alone (which is from two to six hours at a time right now but
will get longer.)

longer than 6 hours? how much longer? do they have a dog walker or
something set up?

No, but the dog was currently being left for ten hours a day. He's three
years old and used to that already so I think he'll manage. They are
keeping him blocked in the kitchen until he adjusts to the new household but
they assume that he will evenutally have the run of the house (which he did
at his last home). There may be people in and out most days so he won't
have a ten hour stretch at their house but it's good to know that he could
handle it. And then, when they're home, they can have concentrated
dog-time. It's not perfect but it will be okay.

Judy