fencing question for the handy types

Old March 13th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default fencing question for the handy types

I have 4' chain link fencing around my yard. I am not interested in
replacing the fencing at this time, and it would be a rather complicated
ordeal due to bushes and trees, not to mention pretty pricey.

Over the years, erosion, yard work by neighbors as well as ourselves,
etc, the bottom of the fence has been damaged or there is a gap under
much of it. While it's handy for the bunnies to be able to escape the
yard since the bottom of the fence flexes (some locations more
significantly than others), it's not so handy that a certain young
Golden thinks he should follow them.

I have tent stakes pounded in on some sections, but they seem to get
loose over time, and due to trees and bushes, as well as the fence
itself, hammering them in is a difficult angle to achieve. Also, some
of the gaps are more significant than others, and the tent stakes aren't
strong enough to bring the fence down to ground level.

I'm visualizing something not too ugly, semi-rigid, and maybe 6" high,
that I can attach to the fence poles and/or to the ground itself, and
perhaps wire/staple/tie the chain link fence to as well. Depending on
how attractive it is, it may go on my side of the fence or a neighbor's
side. So far, garden edging seems like it may be a possibility, but
most of it seems "finished" on one side only, and I'd like it to be
not-so-ugly from both my view and that of my neighbors.

Has anyone faced this issue and found a good product, or can anyone
think of something that may fit the bill? Would a cable with
turnbuckles do it? I wish I had a bottom rail on the fence, but that
isn't to be, so I'd appreciate any good ideas!

Before I get any stupid answers, I supervise the dogs, but have had to
tell Rudy NO - he may NOT go after the bunny/squirrel/bird/investigate
the whatever in the neighbor's yard. When it's bedtime, the yard is
rather dark, and I'd like to know that I have a secure fence,
particularly when a petsitter is here instead of me.

--
Janet Boss
Old March 13th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I'm visualizing something not too ugly, semi-rigid, and maybe 6" high,
that I can attach to the fence poles and/or to the ground itself, and
perhaps wire/staple/tie the chain link fence to as well.

This is totally lazy and will require regular maintenance,
but you can attach hardware cloth to your fence (some
overlap - say 3-6") and have it be long enough so that it's
about 6" longer than it takes to touch the ground. Mount it
and bend it inside the fence and stake it to the ground.
That is to say, have it form an 'L' on the inside of your
fence.

Personally, I tend to prefer putting in the effort up front
and doing something durable, but as with so many things, it
depends on your priorities and resources.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 13th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I thought of the approach you mention, and my concern is about the part
that extends on the ground - lawn mower incompatibility.

It shouldn't interfere, I wouldn't think. Stake/staple
down the edges.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 13th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread : Janet Boss
whittled the following words:

I thought of the approach you mention, and my concern is about the part
that extends on the ground - lawn mower incompatibility.

With the low lying pavers holding down hardware cloth (tent stakes WERE
lawn mower incompatable!), we've never had an issue with the lawn mower.
Grass now covers the pavers and you can't tell there is extra security
there.
Old March 13th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:09:46 -0400, Janet Boss
wrote:

Would a cable with turnbuckles do it?

Maybe.

Something like this?
http://www.a-1fenceduluth.com/laces10.htm

I wish I had a bottom rail on the fence, but that
isn't to be

Why not?
http://www.a-1fenceduluth.com/laces11.htm

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Scientists threatened with death for 'climate denial'!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ngreen211.xml
The Great Global Warminng Swindle - the video:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...global+warming
Why so much medical research is rot:
http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=8733754
Old March 13th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

How about planting something thorny and bushy to cover the gap? Would a
certain young Golden be likely to make a mad dash through that?

No - he's not a dasher or escaper, but he IS nosy and caught a bird last
week, by jamming his head and shoulders under the fence, so he's been
reinforced.

We're talking a LOT of gaps along a LOT of fenceline. The one problem
area was caused when we tore out a very thick and unruly mock orange
that extended about 10'. The fence got somewhat damaged in the process.

Know any thorny things that grow fast and are very shade tolerant?

--
Janet Boss
Old March 13th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

I wish I had a bottom rail on the fence, but that
isn't to be

Why not?
http://www.a-1fenceduluth.com/laces11.htm

Hmm - I can't figure out how they attach at the posts. I assumed
(wrongly?) that the had to be fit over the posts (which would mean
removing the fence, although I suppose we CAN detach the wire fencing,
do that, and attach it again). I don't think we can get to some parts
of the fence, but I don't think they are problem areas either.

--
Janet Boss