Pom paper training problem

Old March 14th 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul J. Dudley

Default Pom paper training problem

We purchased our female Pomeranian at age 10 weeks. We immediately
began paper training her. She wasn't very cooperative at first but
then after about a month it seemed she was catching on. When ever
possible we would catch her and bring her outside to go.

At about age 3 months I started bringing her home to my house due
changes in our work hours. She now stayed at my house mornings and at
my girlfriends house after she got out of work mid afternoon. So now
I was paper training her at my house as well. Again she seemed to adjust
quickly to the idea. Then at some point at about 5 months age she
began avoiding the paper at my house and picking random places
to soil/wet. At the same time at my girlfriends, she would put the dog
out to do her thing more and more, but then the dog stopped going
and would wait until she got back into the house to soil/wet.

Our poor pooch appears to be quite confussed now as to where she
should be doing her business. Since she spends most of her
time at my girlfriends she'll use the paper there at least. But
at my house she tends to avoid it altogether. Sandy ( the Pom )
is now going on 7 months old.

I work part time and am only gone 4-6 or so hours a day. My girlfriend
puts in anywhere from 8 to 12, and that is why we began sending the
dog to my house in the morning, that the dog would be left alone as
little as possible each day.

Besides splitting Sandy's residence between both our houses, what
else are we doing wrong and what should we do to correct our
problem ? Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Old March 15th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
AWilliamson

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:16:20 GMT, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:

Besides splitting Sandy's residence between both our houses, what
else are we doing wrong and what should we do to correct our
problem ? Any help would be appreciated.

Crate training is perfect for housebreaking a puppy.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/crate.htm

Amy
Take charge of your health.
www.shaklee.net/williamson
Old March 15th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Mar 14, 4:16 am, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:
[...]

As simple as the idea sounds to us, it is apparently complicated to
dogs. We want them to go in a certain place and at a certain time, but
they can't quite get it sometimes. I know paper training works, but I
don't like the idea of the dog ever going in the house, so I have
always taught them to go outside, by watching them as puppies
continuously. I also teach them to stay near me and follow my commands
to stay in the kitchen, computer room or whereever I plan to be so
they are never out of my sight. Then when they go, or hopefully, just
start to go with their circling or sniffing out just the right spot or
their manerisms that tell you what is coming, I snatch them up saying
outside and IMMEDIATELY take them out. If they have already done
something...I am old school and rub their nose in it saying "bad dog"
and then say OUTSIDE and take them out.

This has worked like a charm on every dog I have ever owned. They
learn quickly and are not confused once they do learn. They would
almost rather die than go in the house. They'll first sit by the door,
then if that doesn't work, bark, and if that doesn't work, whine once
they are properly trained. I have owned mixed dogs mostly...shepherds,
doberman, beagle, and now own a 4 month old border collie, that
trained very quickly.

While on the subject, if you have carpeting, I kept the rug shampooer
handy (in the kitchen), plus some of the spray enzyme rug shampoo,
plus the bottled rug cleaner specifically for dogs. They work like a
charm, and you never get any stains or smells that way.

My biggest suggestion is to watch the dog. If she can ever get by with
something, she'll try that. Only when they know that they get caught
every time will they change. I realize also that some dogs are much
more difficult to train and keep trained. Chihuahuas are one of the
worst I hear. Maybe Pomeranians are harder too. Oh ya, the enzyme
spray I like is called "OUT" and it works really well. Just get up the
pee with a paper towel first, then shake the bottle and spray a lot
until it is soaked. By the time you heat up the water and load an
connect your steam cleaner, it has worked, and you simply go over the
spot a minute or so. I then turn on a floor fan to dry the spot
quickly. Hopefully, you won't have to use it long. I put my away after
2 weeks of potty training. The border collie learned at 10 weeks,
after having her just 2 weeks, and now never goes in the house or in
her cage. dkw

paper training Freedee Dog behavior 2 January 26th 06 03:47 PM
Sheltie and the paper boy problem Kayla Dog behavior 3 September 27th 05 01:20 PM
Paper training to outside rae Dog behavior 2 February 10th 05 12:57 AM
Paper Training Adult Yorkie? The Newports Dog behavior 16 October 13th 03 01:06 PM
Paper Training Adult Yorkie? The Newports Dog behavior 0 October 13th 03 02:59 AM