Prednisone / Lymphoma questions...

Old March 16th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Prednisone / Lymphoma questions...

Hello everyone,

Our 12-year-old golden retriever Haley was diagnosed with lymphoma
just before Christmas 2006. After some deliberation, my wife and I
decided on a treatment path that entailed a vincristine shot every
three weeks and a prednisone tablet every other day.

Overall, the results have been fairly satisfying. Her lymph nodes,
which were swollen to the size of large marbles at diagnosis, have
shrunk to their normal size. She has maintained her weight, eats
fairly well, and generally has the same personality.

One of the things that we have noticed is that, for the first few days
after her vincristine injection, she's not herself - she doesn't eat,
she doesn't socialize, etc. This tends to go away after a few days,
and our vet feels this is not abnormal given the medicine.

However, one of the things that we have noticed lately is that Haley
has become very "nervous" (not necessarily the right word, but .

Old March 16th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

(My apologies on the incomplete first post - dang Google!)

--
[...]

has become very "nervous" (not necessarily the best word), especially
around food. For example, if she knows we're getting her a treat,
she'll start trembling all over. Sometimes she'll drool. She also
seems to be a bit more clumsy that she used to be, specifically with
her hind legs. The main level of our home is hardwood flooring, and
she typically has a hard time getting up, or her back legs will slip
out from under her. (This could just be a product of her age and we're
over-analyzing it).

Also, in the past few days we accidentally skipped a day of
administering the prednisone tablet. We noticed that she was very
lethargic, breathing irregularly, and trembling more.

Are these strange symptoms side effects of the pednisone? What does
prednisone actually do for the dog? I've head my vet describe is as a
"quality of life" drug, but what specifically is it doing? Or are
these signs that my dog health is fading?

I know these are questions I can put to my vet (and I will), but I was
curious if anyone else had experienced this.

Thanks in advance.
James

Old March 17th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
Our 12-year-old golden retriever Haley was diagnosed with lymphoma
just before Christmas 2006. After some deliberation, my wife and I
decided on a treatment path that entailed a vincristine shot every
three weeks and a prednisone tablet every other day.

Overall, the results have been fairly satisfying. Her lymph nodes,
which were swollen to the size of large marbles at diagnosis, have
shrunk to their normal size. She has maintained her weight, eats
fairly well, and generally has the same personality.

........I'm so sorry about the diagnosis, but am glad to hear she's doing
well.

Are these strange symptoms side effects of the pednisone? What does
prednisone actually do for the dog? I've head my vet describe is as a
"quality of life" drug, but what specifically is it doing?

.......Prednisone is a steroid. It decreases inflammation, improves appetite
and generally makes the dog feel better. It does have some anti-cancer
properties.
http://www.caninecancerawareness.org...motherapy.html

.......Long term prednisone does have side effects, but the dog usually has
to be on it for months for these to happen.
http://www.vetinfo.com/dpred.html

It may not be the prednisone. If you are contemplating using a drug for
arthritis your dog would have to be off the pred first. Definitely I'd
discuss the symptoms with your vet.

........Have you changed your dog's diet at all? I'd look into adding at
least fish oils (salmon body oil) and perhaps fresh foods to the diet. More
protein, less grains. http://www.caninecancerawareness.org/Diet.html

......Enjoy all your days with your pup.

Old March 17th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dave[_2_]

Hi!
I don't know if you are already a member but a great rescource for
information about all canine cancers is the Yahoo Group "CanineCancer" -
lots of people ready to help with problems similar to the ones you describe.
If you join, run a search on "muscle wasting" and see if there is any advice
which might apply to Hayley - also message no. 92284 has some good info on
maintaining muscle.
My own dog, Daisy, a seven year old bullmastiff, has tumors in her thyroid,
lung, pancreas and liver - she has been treated with Radioiodine but the
prognosis is not good and she is presently losing around 2lbs a week -
mainly, it seems in muscle mass.
A friend here in Switzewrland is a senior veterinary oncologist at on eof
the University Hospitals and I recall her telling me recently that thye are
now using a cocktail of three chemo drugs against lymphoma in dogs - let me
know if you would like me to ask for more information - she told me that the
survival rate can be as much as 18 months with this modified protocol.
All the very best to you and, of course, Hayley!

Dave