LOOKING FOR A DOG OR PUPPY IN TIME FOR XMAS!!

Old December 9th 03, 03:07 AM
Kenneth Contois

Default LOOKING FOR A DOG OR PUPPY IN TIME FOR XMAS!!

Hi,

I have a 9 month old son and am looking to get him a dog or puppy for
christmas. We had a dog but unfortunately had to give her away one year ago
due to my pregnancy. If I would have known we would have found a temporary
home. If by any chance the people that have Tasha, a 3 yr old Rotty, not
fixed, see this message, and are looking to give her back or could find it
in their hearts to let her come back to us, please contact us, we'll take
her back. We gave her away in Jan 2003.

We are really hoping to get one for this Christmas. We are looking for a
dog who is good with babies, this is the most important thing. If it is an
older dog, trained. Either large, medium or small breed. If you are
looking to find a good home for your pet please reply, you would be giving
our son his best Xmas gift of all, a friend. Feel free to send a picture of
your pet.

Thank you,

Jody and Kenneth Contois

Old December 9th 03, 03:47 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:07:03 -0500, "Kenneth Contois"
wrote:
This might help you find what you're looking for.

Editor:

Yippee cay yay! I saw the first advertisement for "Christmas puppies" today.
As expected, there was no mention of the parents' OFA or CERF evaluations:
only money. How predictable!

The advertisement did note the puppies are ACK registered, but so what. That
only means they have a birth certificate. As you know, having a birth
certificate is no guarantee of physical, mental or emotional soundness.

Can a dog without a birth certificate be a good dog? Yes! In fact, every week
at the animal shelter, I see dozens of dogs that are not AKC registered, but
are fabulous dogs. They have beauty and intelligence. They are regal and
affectionate. Sadly, most of them go from being little darlings, to being
little dumplings, because that's where they end up: in the dump, the landfill.
If only we, as a society, would commit to doing the right thing, by spaying or
neutering our pets.

Each morning, as I make my initial rounds, I look for dogs that have been
designated to die in the next few minutes. I tell them they are going to be
okay. I hug them, and pet them. It's a sort of last rite. It isn't the first
time I've tried to comfort them: it's the final time. Later, I take a parting
glance at their bodies, heaped in the dirt and debris. As I walk away, I say
a little prayer, "God, forgive us."

I often wonder how many of those dogs were once "Christmas puppies."

Michael A. Ball

Whatever it takes.

Old December 9th 03, 07:25 PM
smithandwest

"Kenneth Contois" wrote in message
[...]

OMG - You're kidding right? Or a troll? First of all you're on a rescue
newsgroup looking for a "Christmas puppy", one of the most dumped animals
around, and all of us in rescue know that from experience. Second, you do
not get a puppy or animal for a 9 month old, any time of the year. You are
the animal's caretaker/owner/parent. You will feed him, care for him, and
take of his medical needs, not your son. If your son should happen to tire
of his new "toy" like so many children do - the dog can not be discarded as
such. Third, you gave away a Rottweiler you claim to love and don't know
who you gave her to?! You don't just give away a dog you love, for one you
should always ask for a donation or it will be treated as free, which means
not worth anything. You should know and investigate the person who will be
your dog's new caretaker, or at least let a breed rescue group handle the
adoption. Your Tasha also should've been spayed, period. I would not be
surprised if she's in the hands of some backyard breeder or puppymiller,
using her as nothing more than a puppy machine. I hope that anyone looking
for a good home for their pet will realize you are not it. And I'll only
comment briefly on this "give away due to my pregnancy" thing, since you
didn't elaborate, but last I checked pregnancy by itself is not a reason to
give away a dog! Kids learn by example. If you do take in another animal
(dog, cat, reptile, whatever), make sure the example you set is one of love,
trust, and responsibility for animals.

~ Lori

Old December 10th 03, 10:59 PM
adopt a rescue dog today

Jody,

since you posted on the rescue newsgroup I am assuming you are looking for a
purebred dog that is in the hands of some type of rescue *organization*.

Most rescue organizations vette prospective families. This process includes
determining whether or not the home under consideration will be a good home
for the dog for the rest of its natural life. Other considerations are
whether or not the family has small children, as many rescue groups are of
the opinion no dog should be allowed with any small child.

Rescues rarely get puppies, although we are currently fostering one.
Generally the dogs are cast off christmas puppies under a year old, or much
older dogs. Oh, so you want a TRAINED dog?? Well, just how trained do you
want it? What ever gave you the idea that anyone who was interested enough
in their dog to take the time to train it to do ANYTHING would abandon it?
Why not just ask for a Dual Champion with obedience titles? if it won at
Crufts or Westminster that would be a bonus, too!

Rescue organizations are in the business of getting good, permanent homes
for neglected dogs. Contrary to what may be your impression, getting them
out the door to the first person that comes along is not part of the
scenario. The dog has already suffered through that situation.

Based on the information you sent in your posting I would not consider you
for a home. When you get pregnant again you will toss the dog.
Additionally, I would not take a chance of a small child getting hurt from
an animal that has been neglected and possibly abused during its life.

You would be unhappy when you discovered all rescue dogs are
spayed/neutered.

Last, but not least, your nine month old son has absolutely no concept of
what a gift is. Your nine month old son has absolutely no concept of what
Christmas is. Your nine month old son wants the love and attention of his
parents, not a dog.

chuck petterson
rescue bus driver