bath Time

Old March 21st 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default bath Time

I have a 6mnth old Jack Russle her name is Holly Berry.She hates to
take a bath worse than any cat I have ever owned. I don't know how to
help her with her fear of water. Doe you have any suggestions?
Frog

Old March 21st 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 20 Mar 2007 17:18:37 -0700, wrote:

I have a 6mnth old Jack Russle her name is Holly Berry.She hates to
take a bath worse than any cat I have ever owned. I don't know how to
help her with her fear of water. Doe you have any suggestions?

Question: Why are you giving her a bath?

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

More debates, please!
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...c-ee5a888dfe7e
Researchers Question Validity Of A 'Global Temperature':
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0315101129.htm
Liberal eco-preeners: Do as we say, not as we do!
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...599714,00.html
Lord Moncton challenges The Goracle to debate global warming!
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4548669&EDATE=
Mexifornia, Five Years Later.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_1_mexifornia.html
Danish scientist: Global warming is a myth.
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science...-012154-7403r/
Scientists threatened with death for 'climate denial'!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ngreen211.xml
The Great Global Warming Swindle - the video:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...global+warming
Why so much medical research is rot:
http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=8733754
Old March 21st 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

On Mar 20, 8:29 pm, Julia Altshuler wrote:
wrote:
I have a 6mnth old Jack Russle her name is Holly Berry.She hates to
take a bath worse than any cat I have ever owned. I don't know how to
help her with her fear of water. Do you have any suggestions?

Are you sure she's afraid of water? Could it be something else like not
liking the smell of the shampoo or the temperature? Many dogs love
swimming but hate baths.

Some suggestions:

1. Use warm, almost hot water.
2. Work fast. With 2 people working, you ought to be able to hose the
dog to get her wet in about a minute, lather up the shampoo in another
minute, then rinse in a third. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but it
shouldn't take long.
3. Unless there's a medical reason that your dog needs a medicated
shampoo or if you have a particularly doggy-smelling dog, most dogs
don't need a lot of baths. My current dog gets bathed once a year (on
the hottest day of the summer). (On the other hand, I've had dogs I
bathed every few weeks. Don't ask me why, she was just smellier.)

--Lia

I bath Holly in the tub.She will not hold still,she fights me the
whole time.Trying to jump out!
I would like to break her fear of water.

Old March 21st 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

wrote:
[...]

I will try using a different shampoo

Old March 21st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

On Mar 21, 8:26 am, montana wildhack
On 2007-03-20 20:38:27 -0400, "frog" said:

I bath Holly in the tub.

How is she in the tub with no water?

I have never put her in the tub with no water.

Old March 21st 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

On Mar 21, 3:48 pm, montana wildhack
On 2007-03-21 15:08:45 -0400, "frog" said:

I have never put her in the tub with no water.

That might be part of the problem. One of our regulars made a point of
feeding her dogs in the tub.

Thank you for the tip. I will try getting her use to the tub with out
the water first.
Then put just a little water in the and get her use to that.
I will let you know how it goes.
Frog

Old March 22nd 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 2007-03-21 15:08:45 -0400, "frog" said:

I have never put her in the tub with no water.

That might be part of the problem. One of our regulars made a point of
feeding her dogs in the tub.

Thank you for the tip. I will try getting her use to the tub with out
the water first.
Then put just a little water in the and get her use to that.
I will let you know how it goes.
Frog

The general idea is to get your dog to look upon the tub as a place
where good things happen to her. So make sure that only good things
happen to her. For example, play with her a bit (her inside the tub,
and you can be either inside or outside). If she knows the command to
sit, ask her to "sit." Reward her with a treat.

Command her to "sit" and reward her with her favorite toy. Etc.

Do this for several minutes every day for a week or so.

Then, start introducing water. Turn on the water only slightly, just
enough to let her hear it. Play with her a bit. Command her to "sit."
Reward her with a treat, her favorite toy, etc. But don't get her wet.

Do this for several minutes every day for a few more days.

After a few more days of the above, provided she appears to be getting
with the program (i.e. enjoying herself), plug the drain and allow a
little water to accumulate in the tub. Maybe an inch or so.

Play with her a bit. Command her to "sit." Reward her with a treat,
her favorite toy, etc.

Do this for several minutes every day for a few more days.

After a few more days of doing that, allow the water to rise a few
more inches. Play with her a bit. Command her to "sit." Reward her
with a treat, her favorite toy, etc.

Do this for several minutes every day for a few more days.

After a few more days of that, start dousing her with a little water,
being careful at first to keep it away from her face. Just wet her
down a little, and give her a very gentle massage. All over her body.
Feel free to speak to her in a soothing voice, too, while you're
massaging her.

After a few days of doing that, you can try adding a little dog
shampoo to the equation. Give her another gentle massage. Etc.

Get the idea?

If not, I agree to act as your dog's guinea pig. That is, you can
practice on me first, 'kay?

I *always* respond well to gentle massages, and your dog will pick up
on those good vibrations and let you do just about anything to her,
provided you do it GENTLY.

So if you need me, call me.
No matter where you are, no matter how far.
Just call my name.
I'll be there in a hurry.
On that you can depend and never worry.

Ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no river wild enough
To keep me from you!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Old March 22nd 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

On 2007-03-21 15:08:45 -0400, "frog" said:

[...]

Lord Moncton challenges The Goracle to debate global warming!http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...TORY=/www/stor...
Mexifornia, Five Years Later.http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_1_mexifornia.html
Danish scientist: Global warming is a myth.http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science...lobal_warming_...
Scientists threatened with death for 'climate denial'!http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...07/03/11/ngree...
The Great Global Warming Swindle - the video:http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...8831&q=bbc+cha...
Why so much medical research is rot:http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=8733754

Thank you for your advice.I will try it.It just may work. I will let
you know how lt goes.
I plan on starting tomorrow.

Old March 22nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 21 Mar 2007 20:27:11 -0700, "frog" wrote:

[...]
I *always* respond well to gentle massages, and your dog will pick up
on those good vibrations and let you do just about anything to her,
provided you do it GENTLY.

So if you need me, call me.
No matter where you are, no matter how far.
Just call my name.
I'll be there in a hurry.
On that you can depend and never worry.

Ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no river wild enough
To keep me from you!

[...]
Thank you for your advice.I will try it.It just may work. I will let
you know how lt goes.

So...I don't get that message?

sigh

I plan on starting tomorrow.

Good idea!

Good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Gore's Global Warming Religion:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19927

bath time Spot Dogs - general 0 September 17th 06 11:20 PM
Giving big dog (Muttley) a bath Paul E. Schoen Dog behavior 45 September 3rd 06 03:54 AM
dog bath?? [email protected] Dog health 1 June 11th 05 12:25 AM
Water temperature during bath ToddSmith Dog health 3 January 26th 05 01:15 AM
Staph & Bath? Channeledbymodem Dog health 1 July 12th 03 09:39 AM