pet food packaging

Old March 21st 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

Default pet food packaging

why do most pet food companies insist on using paper packaging?
it is certainly not air-tight, and it could break easily, especially if
you are holding a 40-pound bag and you don't carry it properly.
isn't plastic better?

Old March 22nd 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

From: Beryl
Reply to: Beryl
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:53:53 -0700
why do most pet food companies insist on using paper packaging?
it is certainly not air-tight, and it could break easily, especially if
you are holding a 40-pound bag and you don't carry it properly.
isn't plastic better?

No. Plastic sucks.
I buy 90 pounds of cement in paper bags, and they don't break.

--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

yeah, like you know what the **** you are talking about. cement bags are
different paper, they are as strong and air-tight as plastic. i'd have no
problem if they pack the food with that kind of paper bag.
like you actually bought any pet foods.

and why plastic sucks? we don't need that kind of teen ager's talk here.

Old March 22nd 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Spot

First off plastic is bad for landfills and is a pain in the ass to open. I
prefer the paper. Besides it's cheaper they aren't going to change. If
they do it means revamping equipment that will cost more money than they
would want to spend.

Celeste

Old March 22nd 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

yes, paper is good for landfills, but that's not relavant here, and it is
certainly not the manufacturers' concern, they don't give a damn.

plastic is hard to open because it seals good, and it can be designed for
easy opening. cost lots of money to revamp the equipment? now you are
speaking in the manufacturers' view. and it doesn't change the fact paper
doesn't seal well.

Old March 24th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Beryl

wrote:

yes, paper is good for landfills, but that's not relavant here, and it is
certainly not the manufacturers' concern, they don't give a damn.

plastic is hard to open because it seals good, and it can be designed for
easy opening. cost lots of money to revamp the equipment? now you are
speaking in the manufacturers' view. and it doesn't change the fact paper
doesn't seal well.

Cement bags are not "air-tight as plastic", not by a long shot. They're
not nearly as air-tight as the dog food bags I get.
The food bags are dual-layer, and waxy/plasticy on the inside.
The slick paper bags slide easily across surfaces, while plastic catches
on things, snags, and punctures.
Paper bags have enough rigidity to stand upright and stay put, without
falling over and spilling their contents all over the floor.

Like you know what the **** you are talking about...

From: Beryl
Reply to: Beryl
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:53:53 -0700