Town Dog limits

Old December 11th 03, 11:17 PM
AussieResc

Default Town Dog limits

Does anyone have any information about town dog limits and how strictly
enforced they are? I know there have recently been a few cases where they were
ruled unconstitutional.
Pat
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc"Aussies in Shelters/A
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324"Dakota's Rescue Page/A
Old December 11th 03, 11:48 PM
Janni Cone

"AussieResc" wrote in message
Does anyone have any information about town dog limits and how strictly
enforced they are? I know there have recently been a few cases where they

were
ruled unconstitutional.
Pat
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc"Aussies in Shelters/A
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324"Dakota's Rescue Page/A

6/28/01 CARY'S TWO DOG LIMIT "UNCONSTITUTIONAL" - DA SAYS

The saga of the 2 dog limit which began in November of 2000 has finally come
to an end with the Dog Fancy, represented by Judi Robinson-Pierce, coming
out the winner.

After a long drawn out process, the town of Cary, through its elected
representatives, decided that Ms.
Robinson-Pierce's arguement that the law was unfair and unconstitutional,
was not worthy of consideration and voted to leave the law unchanged.

The town then proceeded to issue Ms. Robinson a ticket for having too many
dogs in violation of the ordinance.

Monday, the 25th of June proved to be the day the town achieved the unwanted
appearance of "having egg on its face" when the District Attorney refused to
prosecute the charge against Ms. Robinson Pierce. He took the position the
he believed the law to be unconstitutional and that he would not prosecute
any cases where individuals were charged under it.

Another "win" for the good guys

http://www.adoa.org/states/nc/nc.shtml

Old December 12th 03, 12:41 AM
adopt a rescue dog today

Pat,

The answer to this has encompass the entire spectrum of possible answers.
In Omaha the Nebraska Humane Society rules over, or at least wants to rule
over, all animal issues. There is a limit of three dogs, supposedly. I
have not heard of anyone being ticketed or charged except for extreme cases.
All of our rescue dogs get registered tvia the rabies vaccination. So it
always appears that I have eight dogs on the premises. Nothing has ever
been said. I get annual notices to re vaccinate dogs I no longer have. The
issue of *too many* never comes up.

I would say that it just depends. My instinct is that if there is a local
ordinance then one must be prepared to get punished if in violation. One
never knows what political factors may influence enforcement. One also
never knows what political factors are influencing non-enforcement.

chuck petterson
rescue bus driver

Old December 12th 03, 02:10 PM
Kyler Laird

6/28/01 CARY'S TWO DOG LIMIT "UNCONSTITUTIONAL" - DA SAYS

I appreciate such references. It's been a concern to me.

We live in the city of West Lafayette, IN. There is(/was?) no limit on
number of dogs kept here. For the county (outside the city), there is
a three dog limit.

A couple years ago I was letting my four dogs run outside the police
station and the animal control officer (who I'd met a few times) came
over to give me a friendly notice that they were pushing a limit on the
number of dogs a person could keep without a breeder's/kennel license.
He assured me that mine would be "grandfathered" but I probed for a
reason for the change.

There hadn't been any problems that such a change would solve, but
someone thought it was important to be consistent with the county laws.
I asserted that I thought it was really dumb to make new laws to handle
non-problems, and that it was even dumber to require breeder/kennel
licenses to keep neutered canine family members in the house.

Fortunately I have yet to see such a limit hit the books.
http://ordlink.com/cgi-bin/query.pl?...sh&det ail=no
Unfortunately, it is no longer an immediate issue now that we're a
three-dog family.

I recommend that anyone who does have more than a couple dogs register
those dogs consistently. (Do it anyway, but especially in this case.)
That's almost always our first stop after we get checkups each year.
Once (after about five years) a clerk told me that she'd register my
four dogs but that it was illegal to have that many. (I pushed her to
provide me with a reference and she was unable so I spoke with the
mayor who admitted there was no such rule.)

Regardless, I think that having a record of compliance with the regs
is a good way to head off problems with (selective) enforcement of any
new regulations that appear.

--kyler