Pet food poison found

Old March 23rd 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

Default Pet food poison found

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...ource-of-poiso
n-found/

ABC News has learned that investigators have determined that a
rodent-killing chemical is the toxin in the tainted pet food that has killed
several animals.

A source close to the investigation tells ABC News that the rodenticide,
which the source says is illegal to use in the United States, was on wheat
that was imported from China and used by Menu Foods in nearly 100 brands of
dog and cat food.

A news conference is scheduled for this afternoon by experts in Albany,
N.Y., where scientists at the state’s food laboratory made the discovery a
week after a massive recall of 60 million cans and pouches was issued.

The chemical is aminopterin.

What investigators can’t say so far is whether this is the only contaminant
in all of the recalled food.

Old March 23rd 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

Info on aminopterin.

http://tinyurl.com/33hbs6

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/co...ract/137/2/167

All tox studies are old and not available online.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Tara

"buglady" wrote in
ink.net:

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...all-source-of-
poiso n-found/

ABC News has learned that investigators have determined that a
rodent-killing chemical is the toxin in the tainted pet food that has
killed several animals.

A question that comes to mind is why (or IF) the poison was in ingredients
ONLY uised in pouches and canned food, or if it did make its way into
kibble as well. That's still a HUGE concern for me.

Tara
Old March 23rd 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
A question that comes to mind is why (or IF) the poison was in ingredients
ONLY uised in pouches and canned food, or if it did make its way into
kibble as well. That's still a HUGE concern for me.

.........I don't know if they imported the wheat gluten or just wheat from
China. Or if there's any wheat gluten in dry food. Any on your bag? My
impression is they used the gluten to make the gravy, but I ain't too sure.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Tara

"buglady" wrote in
thlink.net:

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
A question that comes to mind is why (or IF) the poison was in
ingredients ONLY uised in pouches and canned food, or if it did make
its way into kibble as well. That's still a HUGE concern for me.

........I don't know if they imported the wheat gluten or just wheat
from China. Or if there's any wheat gluten in dry food. Any on your
bag? My impression is they used the gluten to make the gravy, but I
ain't too sure.

Good point. I feed Annie Natural Choice Lamb and Rice because its the
easiest to use as treats, and because she really really likes it. A nice
side benefit for me at the moment is that its totally wheat free. However,
I notice that it *does* contain rice gluten. Is it a stretch to assume that
other food that contain wheat would also contain wheat gluten? I think I'll
google a bit to find out.

Tara
Old March 23rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
Is it a stretch to assume that
other food that contain wheat would also contain wheat gluten? I think

I'll
google a bit to find out.

Legally I think they have to list it as a separate item on the bag. I did
some searching yesterday on exactly what wheat gluten was - it's wheat
protein also called vital wheat gluten. There's 2 other processed wheat
products but only vital wheat gluten is called just plain wheat gluten.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

buglady wrote:
........I don't know if they imported the wheat gluten or just wheat from
China. Or if there's any wheat gluten in dry food. Any on your bag? My
impression is they used the gluten to make the gravy, but I ain't too sure.

Purina One have a great website. I wished human food companies took such
care with their product information.

http://www.purinaone.com/products_tool.asp

You can select an specific ingredient from the left column. It tells you
what it contributes (Protein, Essential Amino Acids) and the benefits
(support muscle development, healthy immunie system). Also has a list
of icons for parts of the body it benefits such as bones & joints, teeth,
vision, immune system etc).

Then under the icons you can find all the products that contain the
ingredient.

Glad to say that my puppy (15 year old puppy) doesn't eat food that
contains wheat gluten.

Regards
Nigel
Old March 23rd 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
22brix

"buglady" wrote in message
news

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
Is it a stretch to assume that
other food that contain wheat would also contain wheat gluten? I think

I'll
google a bit to find out.

Legally I think they have to list it as a separate item on the bag. I did
some searching yesterday on exactly what wheat gluten was - it's wheat
protein also called vital wheat gluten. There's 2 other processed wheat
products but only vital wheat gluten is called just plain wheat gluten.

I was wondering the labeling, too. It may be naive of me but it seems if
wheat gluten has to be labeled separately, you could just read the label on
the can to see if the food in question is okay.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

"22brix" wrote in message
I was wondering the labeling, too. It may be naive of me but it seems if
wheat gluten has to be labeled separately, you could just read the label

on
the can to see if the food in question is okay.

.....well all that would tell you is if wheat gluten was used. Apparently
this was a product bought from China through a 3rd party. So if it was
wheat and not a processed wheat product, all bets are off, unless no wheat
at all in the food.

http://www.howl911.com/

Old March 23rd 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

..........didn't see the news conference, but Cornell said they only tested
finished product, so can't tell what was contaminated, but aminoptern was
confirmed.
http://www.nbc5.com/news/11346835/detail.html
Earlier, ABC News reported that the chemical was on wheat imported from
China. However, at the news conference Commissioner Patrick Hooker and
Donald Smith, dean of veterinary medicine at Cornell University, said that
they could not confirm the source of the contamination.

Hooker also said that the toxin is not registered for legal use in the U.S.
for rodent control.

Pet Food Poison Lawsuit blames Excessive Vitamin D War on Globalization Dogs - general 7 March 22nd 07 08:23 PM
How to poison a dog dan Dog health 20 December 5th 03 09:15 AM
How to poison a dog dan Dogs - general 10 December 1st 03 11:49 PM
dog poison [email protected] Dog behavior 21 October 7th 03 05:21 AM