PLEASE HELP: Puppy Aggression in response to Pain

Old March 23rd 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cjmemay

Default PLEASE HELP: Puppy Aggression in response to Pain

I have a puppy who is 7 months old approx. We believe her to be a Toy
Fox Terrier/Chihuahua mix. She was neutered last month, and has a
slight infection at the sight of the incision. The vet gave us some
antibiotics and told me to give her a warm compress.

The infection must be very sore, because when I try to apply the
compress, she become VERY aggressive, BITING and SNARLING, like I have
never seen from her. Actually, I did notice this one other time, when
I was trying to clean her teeth. So it seems the aggression may be in
response to pain and fear.

I am very worried. She has no exposure to other dogs, other than my
other TFT, who is amazingly laid back. They play, rough and tumble
style, but have never hurt each other.

My reaction when she becomes aggressive is to firmly tell her no, then
put her in her crate, and close the door for a little while. Something
about that doesn't feel right, though. I do not like using a crate for
punishment.

Any advice? PLEASE HELP!

Puppy aggression with first bone Ian P Dog behavior 6 January 9th 07 09:43 AM
Hasbro's response Janet B Dog breeds 1 September 15th 06 08:30 PM
lab puppy aggression [email protected] Dog behavior 2 September 2nd 06 05:43 AM
Puppy aggression towards older dog - Fear?? Sarah Dog behavior 2 August 9th 03 08:00 PM