My 2-3 month old Blue Great dane keeps bitting people

Old March 24th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

Default My 2-3 month old Blue Great dane keeps bitting people

Well my pup keeps bitting people when we walk then we sit anything we
tell him no and give him a small tap on nose or on butt goes sit down
and bites us later how can i correct this?

Old March 29th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Becky[_2_]

On Mar 23, 6:44 pm, wrote:
Well my pup keeps bitting people when we walk then we sit anything we
tell him no and give him a small tap on nose or on butt goes sit down
and bites us later how can i correct this?

First of all, how old is the dog? He might be play-biting. If he's
more mouthing than actually biting, you can correct this behavior by
making a sound that sounds like a hurt pup. Let's say the dog makes
bite contact with your hand. Take your hand away and make a yelp of
pain that the dog will interpret as "OUCH!" If the biting is more
aggressive, you should consider speaking with a behaviorist (NOT Cesar
Millan) about this problem. With such a large and powerful breed,
it's very important to curb this problem now.

Also, NEVER hit/strike or even tap the dog. Physical correction in
that manner is not efficient, nor is it humane. Period.

Hope that helps.

Old March 29th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Becky[_2_]

On Mar 23, 6:44 pm, wrote:
Well my pup keeps bitting people when we walk then we sit anything we
tell him no and give him a small tap on nose or on butt goes sit down
and bites us later how can i correct this?

Oops! Sorry, I see you mentioned his age right in the title! DUH on
me. Please try the method I suggested in my reply above. DO NOT
STRIKE HIM. If what I suggested does not work, consider reading
"Aggression in Dogs" by Brenda Aloff. This is a wonderful book that
can help you in combatting this behavior, and it focuses solely on
positive reinforcement.

Old April 6th 07, 05:21 PM
Nichole Nichole is offline
Junior Member

Location: Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky[_2_] View Post
On Mar 23, 6:44 pm, wrote:
Well my pup keeps bitting people when we walk then we sit anything we
tell him no and give him a small tap on nose or on butt goes sit down
and bites us later how can i correct this?

Oops! Sorry, I see you mentioned his age right in the title! DUH on
me. Please try the method I suggested in my reply above. DO NOT
STRIKE HIM. If what I suggested does not work, consider reading
"Aggression in Dogs" by Brenda Aloff. This is a wonderful book that
can help you in combatting this behavior, and it focuses solely on
positive reinforcement.
Your dog is probally just being a puppy, my dog did that too when she was younger, but we tried to get rid of that as soon as possible since people often think my dog is a pit bull and I didn't want anything to happen to her. She just grew out of it on her own, now every once in a while when you play hard with her she will bit but it is never hard and we correct her as soon as she does it. By the way she still isn't even a year old so it wont take too long to train them.