Oppie's LP surgery update -1

Old March 24th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Default Oppie's LP surgery update -1

Oppie is home - they released him from the hospital this
afternoon. The surgery went well; only one glitch when he threw
up the morning after the surgery, and the vet said that it was
probably a fairly common reaction to the steroids they gave
during surgery.

He seems to be feeling pretty good for someone who just went
through surgery. He's sucking up all the attention, pets,
hand-feeding. We'll have to be particularly careful not to let
him do too much too soon. We will also make sure that someone is
with him 24x7 for the first week.

The most difficult thing will be keeping him from getting too
excited, which he does when a leash, food, or one of us returning
home is involved. We've been working on presenting a very calm
demeanor and not interacting with him until he calms down, or
more proactively, putting him in a down-stay, but it hasn't been
all that effective (too many years of our enjoying his
excitement, I'm afraid); after he's released from the down, he
just sproings up and resumes his wiggling, bouncing, whining,
barking excited performance. Any suggestions for helping him
stay calm will be appreciated!

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes; I think they helped
Oppie, and I know they helped me!

FurPaw
--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old March 24th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Oppie is home - they released him from the hospital this afternoon. The
surgery went well

Yeah for Oppie!! I am so glad to hear he did well, our fingers are still
crossed for a speedy (and calm) recovery

Old March 24th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
Oppie is home - they released him from the hospital this
afternoon. The surgery went well
He seems to be feeling pretty good for someone who just went
through surgery.

........good news! Hope things continue to go well.

buglady
take out the dog before replying