Fun with Bunnies

Old March 24th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Fun with Bunnies

Pan and I went to help out the rescue at the Pet Expo yesterday. Two
booths down from us (the space between us is empty) was bunny rescue.
Since we were there before the event opened to the public, and Pan
doesn't wander too far, she was off-leash when I could keep a close
eye on her.

Across from us was the horse rescue. She checked out the stall for
the miniature horse, which is apparently about her size. Then she
decided to head in the direction of bunny rescue, and since I didn't
want any of the wabbits to have heart attacks, I caught up to her, and
stopped her. The bunny rescue lady was very nice, and said that her
rabbits are used to dogs, since she has Irish Wolfhounds (the IWs also
live with 4 cats).

Pans eyes got really big when she spotted the bunnies in their cage.
She slid up to them cautiously, and sniffed one, who got closer to the
cage and sniffed right back. Unprepared for that, she jumped back,
eyed them again, made sure they couldn't attack her, and sniffed
again. Once she got used to them, she sniffed all the bunnies. They
had set it up so the bunnies had a cage and a pen to hop around in.
She went over to the pen, and stuck her head over. One of the bunnies
hopped over, stood up on its hind legs, and they almost went nose to
nose. She was fascinated. She'd sniff a bunny, follow it around as
it went about its business, circle the pen, and start all over again.
The ears were up, the tail wagging, and she play bowed to the bunny.
Bunny didn't notice, so she tried another one. Then, she let out a
soft woof, along with the play bow. She'd look at me, whine softly,
play bow and woof. When she decided to paw at the cage is when I
decided that they both needed a break.

Pan thinks we should have bunnies in the house. Khan totally agrees,
although I suspect his motives are less than noble.

Suja

P.S. For the first time, they had a young Siberian Tiger and two itty-
bitty cubs, and the herp people at the end of the row had a small
alligator (that charged Pan for walking past) and a bunch of poisonous
snakes.

Old March 24th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Rocky" wrote in message
Bunny didn't think that this was the way to play chase, so he
ran at Jake, who immediately turned tail and ran away.

Jake's owners never lived it down.

Thank doG that Jake wasn't a beagle!

Judy

Old March 25th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
digitydew

On Mar 24, 4:46 pm, "Judy" wrote:
"Rocky" wrote in message

Bunny didn't think that this was the way to play chase, so he
ran at Jake, who immediately turned tail and ran away.

Jake's owners never lived it down.

Thank doG that Jake wasn't a beagle!

Judy

I have a little black bunnie that *sometimes* gets his bluff in on the
Cocker Spaniel. He has to be careful and not push his luck too far,
because if he swipes him with his sharp claws or something he gets
more than he bargained for. But sometimes he can hold his ground.

The German Shepherd killed a lot of baby bunnies though. She wanted
to be a mother, and would steal baby bunnies to mother.
Unfortunately her mothering skills were better suited to a more rugged
species than rabbits. She litterally licked several of them to
death. I had to reinforce all the cage doors so that she could not
raid the nest boxes any more, sad to say.

SD

Old April 7th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

The German Shepherd killed a lot of baby bunnies though.

Maui is a bunny killer. He was just a few months old when he got under the
back deck and ate a baby bunny. I heard some squealing but it was too late.
In fact, I wouldn't have even known he ate one if he didn't throw it up
later. He pulled another one out of the next a few days later and but it
was ok. I couldn't return it to its nest so I had to give it to a local
wildlife rehab center so they could help it. We never had any problems
again (almost 2 years later) until yesterday when I heard some squealing and
saw a rabbit run towards the sound. I started calling for Maui and he came
running, right from where the sound was coming from (under the pool deck
this time). This morning after I let Maui out, I came back in for some
socks and my dad saw him running out towards the pool. He started calling
him back and Maui did return (his outside recall is so very good the past
few months). So, until baby bunny season is over, I guess he needs to be
watched thoroughly instead of just mostly.

Old April 7th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
MauiJNP wrote:
Maui is a bunny killer. He was just a few months old when he got under the
back deck and ate a baby bunny.

The first time I got a sense of how predatory Emmett is was
when he was about 5 or 6 months old. He was leashed, but he
jumped into some bushes and jumped back out with a baby
rabbit in his mouth, head first and legs protruding. He
proceeded to chew and swallow and chew and swallow with the
rabbit legs still kicking, sticking out of Emmett's mouth.
It was pretty completely appalling.

Old April 7th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

Maui is a bunny killer. He was just a few months old when he got under
the
back deck and ate a baby bunny.

The first time I got a sense of how predatory Emmett is was
when he was about 5 or 6 months old. He was leashed, but he
jumped into some bushes and jumped back out with a baby
rabbit in his mouth, head first and legs protruding. He
proceeded to chew and swallow and chew and swallow with the
rabbit legs still kicking, sticking out of Emmett's mouth.
It was pretty completely appalling.

yes, it sounds very gross and not something I ever wish to see

Old April 8th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:05:50 GMT, "MauiJNP" wrote:

yes, it sounds very gross and not something I ever wish to see

The worst part is how human a baby bunny's screaming can sound.

--
Lynne
Old April 16th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
digitydew

On Apr 7, 8:38 pm, Lynne wrote:
on Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:05:50 GMT, "MauiJNP" wrote:

yes, it sounds very gross and not something I ever wish to see

The worst part is how human a baby bunny's screaming can sound.

--
Lynne

Geez, Glad I didn't have to witness that. I know full well what
squealing rabbits sound like and I'm glad to say that the Germ Shep at
least didn't cause that. She just licked and licked and mothered and
tried to carry them around by their heads.... until they died. Sad
to say.
Donna