How Can I get my Dogs to stop getting into the garbage and chewing on things?

Old March 25th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities
[email protected]

Default How Can I get my Dogs to stop getting into the garbage and chewing on things?

I have two Springer Spaniels. One is 13 years old and the other is a
little over a year old, but it wasn't until the past month or two that
they both decided to get into our garbage cans and start chewing on
shoes and clothing when nobody is looking. Why all of a sudden would
they start this behavior? Is it something I'm doing, like not goiving
them enough attention? I have no idea what to do with them. When I
come to find their messes, I bring them to it and say "NO, Bad Dog"
and send them down stairs, but they continue to do it. I have just
had enough, but there's no way I could ever get rid of my babies.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Any and All ideas would help.
Thank You.

Old March 25th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities
pfoley

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two Springer Spaniels. One is 13 years old and the other is a
little over a year old, but it wasn't until the past month or two that
they both decided to get into our garbage cans and start chewing on
shoes and clothing when nobody is looking. Why all of a sudden would
they start this behavior? Is it something I'm doing, like not goiving
them enough attention? I have no idea what to do with them. When I
come to find their messes, I bring them to it and say "NO, Bad Dog"
and send them down stairs, but they continue to do it. I have just
had enough, but there's no way I could ever get rid of my babies.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Any and All ideas would help.
Thank You.

=========
Maybe they play that game out of boredom; do they get enough exercise and
mental stimulation? Does anyone play with them outdoors and walk them
daily?

Old March 28th 07, 10:35 PM
Aaron111 Aaron111 is offline
Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I have two Springer Spaniels. One is 13 years old and the other is a
little over a year old, but it wasn't until the past month or two that
they both decided to get into our garbage cans and start chewing on
shoes and clothing when nobody is looking. Why all of a sudden would
they start this behavior? Is it something I'm doing, like not goiving
them enough attention? I have no idea what to do with them. When I
come to find their messes, I bring them to it and say "NO, Bad Dog"
and send them down stairs, but they continue to do it. I have just
had enough, but there's no way I could ever get rid of my babies.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Any and All ideas would help.
Thank You.
thats a good one,
try my training articles in my sig line plenty info their for you
Old April 2nd 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities
Shadow Walker

Place all items that they can chew up out of reach or in closets. Do not
give them an opportunity to chew your things. Provide them with their own
chew toys and make them accessible at all times for the dogs. More than
likely the puppy started to chew something and got the older dog into a game
over it. You just need to break the chain by preventing them from getting
hold of the items. As for the garbage you need to take garbage out often and
get a locking garbage can. I have one because I have wonderful perfect fur
baby that is a food hound. If that doesn't help you need basic training on
top of that.Good luck

ups.com...